• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
Years
  • Hey there anyone. I was wondering if anybody knew how to hex edit Pokemon Red, the gen 1 game. Specifically, I want to know how to edit the level up attacks and TM's of each pokemon.

According to the bulbapedia data structure, the TM/HM learnset is contained in a 7 byte format (which I can track) but fails to specify what this means in reagrds to what learns what. Additionally, I have searched the internet far and wide but no one seems to know just where the level up moves are located for any gen 1 game.

Please reply if you can.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Hey there anyone. I was wondering if anybody knew how to hex edit Pokemon Red, the gen 1 game. Specifically, I want to know how to edit the level up attacks and TM's of each pokemon.

According to the bulbapedia data structure, the TM/HM learnset is contained in a 7 byte format (which I can track) but fails to specify what this means in reagrds to what learns what. Additionally, I have searched the internet far and wide but no one seems to know just where the level up moves are located for any gen 1 game.

Please reply if you can.
    50 TMs, 5 HMs right? 7 bytes x 8 bits per byte = 56. Not a Red hacker at all, but I would assume each TM is one bit. & in general, if you're hacking Red, you might wanna consider using the pokered disassembly.

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
    Years
  • 50 TMs, 5 HMs right? 7 bytes x 8 bits per byte = 56. Not a Red hacker at all, but I would assume each TM is one bit. & in general, if you're hacking Red, you might wanna consider using the pokered disassembly.

Ah, that might work I'll start testing. Now all I need is the learnsets and I'm good... What does the pokered dissasembly do?

EDIT: confirming that the hypothesis is confirmed. 1 = learn TM, 0 = no learn TM and with the string of binary it matches the data shown in the game.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Ah, that might work I'll start testing. Now all I need is the learnsets and I'm good... What does the pokered dissasembly do?

EDIT: confirming that the hypothesis is confirmed. 1 = learn TM, 0 = no learn TM and with the string of binary it matches the data shown in the game.
    Makes hacking red a lot easier.
    https://github.com/pret/pokered
    I haven't used it personally, but a lot of people seem to like it.

electicario

Random Aura Sphere and Thunderpunch user
    Years
  • Well, it's me again... If I repoint the Dex Entries table, will I get the entries' space back? For example, I added a Pokémon's Base Stats as its entry, but I want to revert it to its regular entry (which is bigger). So, is there any way to "expand" the entries back to their normal size?
    Note: It's for BPRE.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Well, it's me again... If I repoint the Dex Entries table, will I get the entries' space back? For example, I added a Pokémon's Base Stats as its entry, but I want to revert it to its regular entry (which is bigger). So, is there any way to "expand" the entries back to their normal size?
    Note: It's for BPRE.
    They're just strings. If you need more space, you repoint the strings. If you've "shrunk" the strings, you probably still have space to revert to the original length, and whatever tool you're using is utilizing the string terminating byte 0xFF to determine "length." Open your ROM in a hex editor to check.
    See: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokédex_data_structure_in_Generation_III

electicario

Random Aura Sphere and Thunderpunch user
    Years
  • They're just strings. If you need more space, you repoint the strings. If you've "shrunk" the strings, you probably still have space to revert to the original length, and whatever tool you're using is utilizing the string terminating byte 0xFF to determine "length." Open your ROM in a hex editor to check.
    See: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokédex_data_structure_in_Generation_III

Well, will surely be checking it! Thanks a lot! :)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hmm, I have two more questions,

1) Is it possible to create an NPC that can 'evolve' Pokémon?

Spoiler:

2)I changed the moves taught by several of the TMs, however the move descriptions for the changed moves now display the new TM descriptions.

Is there a short way to fix this, or do I have to manually re-insert each description and repoint the move descriptions to those?

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Does anyone have the "Item editor plugin" for Nameless Sprite Editor 2.X. The one on the thread doesn't work anymore (stupid hacker)

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • If I wanted to remove badge checks for all HMs in FireRed(making player able to use any HM outside of battle regardless of whether they have required badge), what's the best way I should go about doing this?

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
    Years
  • If I wanted to remove badge checks for all HMs in FireRed(making player able to use any HM outside of battle regardless of whether they have required badge), what's the best way I should go about doing this?

Check out my post on HM badge checks here.

If you change the flags for Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, Surf, and Waterfall to 0x828, they'll be allowed as soon as you have the Pokemon menu, which basically means they're automatically active. Then make sure to use the edit I quoted from karatekid552 to allow them from the Pokemon menu without badges as well.

Years
  • Alright im getting

Error 9 "Subscript out of range" on Line 66

Here's my script: Line 66 is between the bolded scripts
    (Point out anything else if you don't mind)

Spoiler:

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Check out my post on HM badge checks here.

If you change the flags for Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, Surf, and Waterfall to 0x828, they'll be allowed as soon as you have the Pokemon menu, which basically means they're automatically active. Then make sure to use the edit I quoted from karatekid552 to allow them from the Pokemon menu without badges as well.

Thanks. Have you heard anything about Fly?

Years
  • Hey! Does anyone have any information regarding terrain files in gen 4/5 hacking? I'm trying to compile information on the maps and I believe the bdhc files have the height values that I'm looking for. Thanks!

Aethestode

Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Alright im getting

Error 9 "Subscript out of range" on Line 66

Here's my script: Line 66 is between the bolded scripts
    (Point out anything else if you don't mind)

Spoiler:

The apostrophe isn't the correct format in your dialogues. You must've paste the dialogues from Microsoft Word to XSE, right? MS Word, changes the Apostrophe and quotation mark into a certain style. So all you have to do is either remove the feature from MS Word to stop changing the style of 'apostrophe' and 'quoation marks", or manually write all the Apostrophe and quotation marks.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Can anyone link me to a good resource describing Pokemon Gold/Silver's tileset/tileset header format? I've been trying to figure it out for ages, since I want to make some changes to G/S's tileset, but I can't find any useful information about it.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • How fun would it be to implement a new weather?
    How much more fun would it be just to replace the current cloudy weather (which just turns everything a little darker) with a legitimate cloud system in which the clouds have their own shadows?
    And, lastly, how would one go about making the lighter snow (not the one labelled "three snowflakes" in A-Map) also turn everything dark? Could it possibly be as simple as just using a command whenever the aforementioned snow is active?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years
  • Can anyone link me to a good resource describing Pokemon Gold/Silver's tileset/tileset header format? I've been trying to figure it out for ages, since I want to make some changes to G/S's tileset, but I can't find any useful information about it.

We DO have the resource section, deviantart and google. Searching is quite easy, but looking the quality you ought for is not. Try searching using the given three :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back