• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
This was taken from the official PDF for Pokemon tournament rules for B/W2:
  • If the player's final Pokémon used Selfdestruct, Explosion, Destiny Bond, or Final Gambit, and both players' final Pokémon are knocked out as a result, that player loses that game
  • If a player's final Pokémon used Double‐Edge, Volt Tackle, Flare Blitz, Take Down, Submission, Brave Bird, Wood Hammer, Head Smash, Struggle, or Wild Charge, or was holding Life Orb, and both players' final Pokémon are knocked out as a result, that player wins that game
  • If both players' final Pokémon is knocked out by a weather condition, such as Hail or Sandstorm, the player whose Pokémon is knocked out last wins the game
  • If a Pokémon's Ability or held item, such as Rough Skin, Aftermath, Liquid Ooze, Iron Barbs, or Rocky Helmet, results in each player's final Pokémon being knocked out, the player with the Ability or held item will win the game
So while it doesn't explicitly say using Destiny Bond causes you to lose, it looks like any move that purposely makes your own Pokemon faint at the same time the battle is ended, results in a loss.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
Ok, so I know Foul Play bases its power on the opponent's Attack stat, not the user's. I also know its power is affected by type (just got "super effective" against a Solrock), and imagine it can be affected by STAB. I guess my question is, does the user's Attack stat affect things at all (ex: does it matter whether my Attack stat is currently 10 or 100)? Also, how does the base power factor in? If the opponent has a weak Attack stat, does it sort of subtract from the 95 base power?

Xolace

✿♥✿
Years
Fairly new to trying to play Pokemon competitively so I have a few questions regarding stats and nature.

I have a Riolu, Growlithe, and Elekid.

Which stat should I focus on being highest for each? And which nature benefits them most?

(I noticed in the stat section one seems to be highlighted red and another blue, what does that mean?)

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Natures increase a stat by 10% while decreasing another one by 10%. There are also neutral natures, meaning they don't increase or decrease any stat. This is shown on the stats page, the increased stat is highlighted in red, while the decreased stat is in blue. So you should chose a nature that would benefit your Pokemon, for example Arcanine and Electivire have higher Attack, so maybe one of Lonely, Brave, Adamant, or Naughty. Keep in mind though that these will also lower another stat, so for example Brave wouldn't be the best choice for Arcanine since it would lower it Speed.

You can read more on natures here > http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nature

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Ok, so I know Foul Play bases its power on the opponent's Attack stat, not the user's. I also know its power is affected by type (just got "super effective" against a Solrock), and imagine it can be affected by STAB. I guess my question is, does the user's Attack stat affect things at all (ex: does it matter whether my Attack stat is currently 10 or 100)? Also, how does the base power factor in? If the opponent has a weak Attack stat, does it sort of subtract from the 95 base power?

No, your attack stat does not matter. STAB, ability, and item are factored in, as well as being burned. All it does is use your targets attack stat, boosts included, as if it were your own.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2013
B2, does evolution (stopping it) hurt anything?

I finally have the Pokemon I want (Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander) and I would like to keep them on their second evolution. Would this hurt anything stat wise? Would this hurt my chances at completing the game?

Years
I know there are some people who don't like evolving their Pokemon, but in my personal opinion, evolving your Pokemon makes them stronger in the long run. Evolving them can make them strong enough for those later fights, and the stats actually get better with evolution.

Evolving your Pokemon to their final stage is actually well-worth it. I don't think it would hurt your chances of finishing the game by a long mile. I definitely advise evolving them is the better route.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2013
I just really wanted to keep my Squirtle a Wartortle really. I never liked the look of Blastoise... If I do stop the evolution and get my Wartortle to level 100, is there a way to progress it to it's final stage?

Years
I just really wanted to keep my Squirtle a Wartortle really. I never liked the look of Blastoise... If I do stop the evolution and get my Wartortle to level 100, is there a way to progress it to it's final stage?

Level 100 is the level cap, it won't gain a level after that.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If you get Wartortle to 100, you can't evolve him into Blastoise anymore. I also want to add that while playing the game with Pokemon that are not fully evolved makes it more of a challenge, it's still fun and definitely doable. I played Black and had a Wartortle on my team before and he did just fine. Also remember to give them an Eviolite. :) It makes things go much smoother.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years
So I was in the Battle Subway using a Kabutops with Base 80 Speed. I'm up against the Battle Subway leader guy at the 20 battles mark and he sends out Crustle with a base 45 Speed. He had no stat boosts or anything and my Kabutops is Jolly Natured and not really EV trained but still his Crustle went before me for some reason. Can anyone explain to me how? I mean I'm not mad or anything and I did end up winning but its been bugging me since i had the battle because a Tympole outsped it as well during the challenge though I can't remember if there was rain or not...

Xolace

✿♥✿
Years
So I was in the Battle Subway using a Kabutops with Base 80 Speed. I'm up against the Battle Subway leader guy at the 20 battles mark and he sends out Crustle with a base 45 Speed. He had no stat boosts or anything and my Kabutops is Jolly Natured and not really EV trained but still his Crustle went before me for some reason. Can anyone explain to me how? I mean I'm not mad or anything and I did end up winning but its been bugging me since i had the battle because a Tympole outsped it as well during the challenge though I can't remember if there was rain or not...

This could be due to them using attacks that have a built in priority. I could be mistaken but I believe that may be the case. n_n

What's the earliest I can catch a Petilil? I'd really love to have one as soon as possible. I just beat the second gym. :)

Last edited:
Years
What's the earliest I can catch a Petilil? I'd really love to have one as soon as possible. I just beat the second gym.

White 2 exclusive. The earliest you can get it is castelia city. If your playing black 2 then you can try the quick trade thread.

Years
White 2 exclusive. The earliest you can get it is castelia city. If your playing black 2 then you can try the quick trade thread.

In Black 2, there is a girl on Route 4 who will trade her Petilil to you if you trade her a Cottonee. This specific one comes with a Modest nature and maxed Sp. Attack IVs (the other IVs are sorta well-rounded) so it makes a pretty good team addition. So basically you can necessarily get it in both versions.

Years
In Black 2, there is a girl on Route 4 who will trade her Petilil to you if you trade her a Cottonee. This specific one comes with a Modest nature and maxed Sp. Attack IVs (the other IVs are sorta well-rounded) so it makes a pretty good team addition. So basically you can necessarily get it in both versions.

I stand corrected. I completely forgot about that one lol

Years
Where in the city can I get it? And around what level?

In the garden that can be accessed via a staircase in the Castelia Sewers. The Cottonee (B2) or Petilil (W2) found there are around Level 16-18 and have a 35% encounter rate, making them the most common encounter in the area. Also note that the water is lowered in Autumn/Winter and raised in Spring/Summer, but regardless of that the staircase is easily accessible.

Last edited:

Xolace

✿♥✿
Years

In the garden that can be accessed via a staircase in the Castelia Sewers. The Cottonee found there are around Level 16-18 and have a 35% encounter rate, making them the most common encounter in the area. Also note that the water is lowered in Autumn/Winter and raised in Spring/Summer, but regardless of that the staircase is easily accessible.

Thank you very much! I'll be one step closer to finishing up my team!

Riolu *
Growlithe *
Elekid *
Petilil
Seabass
Gothita

Got the top three just need the others. I'll have to trade for Gothita though. :T

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Articulating your words

How does everyone articulate your words when describing the purpose of your team? I have issues with articulation. I know what I want them to do, but knowing and doing are always two different things with this team.

Also How does one get a tyrogue into a hitmontop out of a adamant nature

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back