• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick! Suggest a JRPG

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    If you think that this is bad, someone on IGN said that "If it has Anime style graphics and sexually exploited female characters then it's a Jrpg." Sad really. But for quite some time there has been debate about what JRPGs are. Some point to the final fantasy model as a JRPG, some think of the linearity and the Narrative. But with either of these there are problems as there are JRPGs that aren't like either of these models. JRPGs are considered a genre in of themselves, but almost nobody agrees as to what is a JRPG is.
    Well I'm not sure about nobody being able to agree so much as nobody really caring. After all, it's not really that important. I could call Dark Souls a JRPG in a gaming forum and no one could really care because...it doesn't matter. It's a phrase that's thrown around but rarely one that gives any weight, largely used for authors of articles to categorize casually...or anyone, really. It's only when the question of what one is is brought up that it's really taken into consideration.

But as to that IGN guy's definition, that's not really far off from Satoshi's definition. By "sexually exploited" they're referring to physical features. Generally things you'd find in ecchi such as large assets or focus on specific assets, common among anime. It could also refer to various character archetypes, as well.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I always really liked Golden Sun and its sequel on GBA.

I haven't played many JRPGs lately, now that I think about it.

Back