• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quitting Pokemon

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I did quit Pokémon. For almost 10 years. I could never complete Gold, and I went to secondary school when I was 11 and... well... Pokémon wasn't "cool" there :P so I just kind of stopped. Until I was in my second year of University (when I was 20) and my friend came around my house with SoulSilver and his Pokéwalker and I just thought "Huh, I might buy that game, see what it's like" and... I fell back in love with it again.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I've gone into a temporary hiatus. It's just a period where you get bored of it, so you need a vacation. It's like eating the same food everyday. After a month, it's nasty. But I've never actually quit it. I always somehow wander back into the franchise, thanks to sheer boredom.

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
    Have you ever thought of quitting Pokemon?
    I have never thought about quitting as such, but I have stopped playing for long periods of time because I haven't had the proper motivations.

Finally, what reasons would cause someone to abandon Pokemon for good?

I had a girlfriend, short term, that I absolutely adored. She told me to quit Pokémon because it was too childish (I was 14 goddamnit) otherwise she would break up with me. This made me realise that she obviously wasn't a very tolerant person, and luckily I wasn't in love with her, otherwise I wouldn't have known what to do. (I broke up with her, if that wasn't already implied)

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Nope. Never in my life

If so, why?

Just fazing out of it or Pokemon getting a bit too repeatitive

:t354:TG

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I've lost interest in Pokemon enough where it isn't my main fandom. I don't play the games as excessively as I did, to the point where I still haven't finished the storyline for Black/White or SoulSilver. I don't watch the anime anymore. I don't collect the toys.

But there's always just a little something about Pokemon that keeps me here. Most of that is my fanfiction, because that focuses on what I like about Pokemon. But other than that, most days I just really don't care about Pokemon. I have thought about quitting outright, but there's just that little something that keeps me here. Probably until the very bitter end.

It's not a matter of me growing "too old" for children's things (since I'm nearly twenty-five-years-old). It's just that after twelve years obsessively doing something related to Pokemon (games, anime, toys, writing) there's not a lot of interest there. I've changed through the years to like other things, some of which are actually considered children's entertainment.

If someone does actually quit, it's most likely because of a change of interests. You don't always like the same things you did a year ago. Never mind how it is for some of us, who have been fans of Pokemon since the beginning. People's interests change over time.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
    I thought about quitting a couple of times, this was a while back and then D/P came out and drug me back in, I think it was more out of all the frustration over hacks that I was getting in trades, but now I just tell myself "it's common, get over it!!"

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
    Years
    I never thought about quitting Pokemon, just taking a break from it. If I ever quit, it is just because I do not have enough time for it.

Harebrained

Switch to decaf? Never!
    Years
    I'm 75% out of the game when it comes to Pokemon. I generally no longer play or watch, but for some reason I've stuck around on some fansites and I do enjoy the idea. I still think it's cute and fun.

I've been with Pokemon for what, a decade? It hasn't changed nearly enough, nor grown with me over the years as my tastes and standards changed. Small things like updated graphics, Pokemon IVs and EVs, and the ability to breed just haven't been enough in that regard. I'm no longer a preteen who delights in the joys of straightforward RPGs and what is pretty much the plastic ball pit of competitive gaming, so all it really offers me now is the opportunity to say, "Ooh, cute! I want a plush of that!"

Years
    I have never thought about quitting as such, but I have stopped playing for long periods of time because I haven't had the proper motivations.

I had a girlfriend, short term, that I absolutely adored. She told me to quit Pokémon because it was too childish (I was 14 goddamnit) otherwise she would break up with me. This made me realise that she obviously wasn't a very tolerant person, and luckily I wasn't in love with her, otherwise I wouldn't have known what to do. (I broke up with her, if that wasn't already implied)

You should have told her "you're never too old for Pokemon".

I mean, look at the average age of users here at PC, which mainly tend to be in their late teens/early twenties.

Ieyasu

This statement is false
    Years
    I don't really play the games anymore, but I can't let it go because the Pokemon themselves are too awesome to ignore. I guess I'm about half-fan, but I wouldn't deny liking it if the question came up.

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
    It must have been at least five years ago now, I first lost interest in the Pokemon games. The franchise was a huge part of my childhood - I have so many Pokemon related collectables its not even funny anymore. I really did pack away my my gameboy and the games and they were left to collect dust in my room for a while. I'm not sure what made me pick them up again but I did. It just happened. Pokemon does that to you. Next thing I knew, I'd purchased a DS and Pokemon Diamond and it was straight back into it, playing through that and the old games I'd pulled out of hiding. Pokemon never left me at all, I just pushed it away for a while. Pokemon will never leave any of us who grew up with it. I don't think I'll ever give it up in a true sense, not playing the games for a while doesn't count.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I...don't remember ever losing interest for too long a time. I mean, there are times I go a while without playing the games, but I mean, I still post about Pokemon and it's not that I lost interest in the series. Just that I probably got sick of doing challenges, since that's mainly what I do with my games. So I took a break. Never have really lost interest in Pokemon. It's one of the few things, it not the only thing, I have never really gotten tired of. Will I ever get tired of it? I kinda doubt it. And you know? That's fine with me. Pokemon is one of my passions, oddly enough. It's dat challenge spirit bro.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Even with all the schoolwork that I have right now, I still can't bring myself to quit it. In fact, I've never even thought of quitting pokemon before my senior year (and I've only thought of "quitting" because I had no time to play it whatsoever).

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
    I don't think I could quit Pokemon now because I am comfortable with myself and my interests, but I did 'quit' Pokemon when I was in grade 6. I got back into it in high school, and have never looked back. I guess it was hard being the only kid who liked Pokemon and it was seen as a little kid's thing, so I stopped and forgot about it. I guess when I was in grade 11 I decided, the Hell with it, I love Pokemon!!! So being in my 20s now, I am totally comfortable saying to people that I love Pokemon. I guess those early teenage years were tough to be yourself so I put it on hold, but now, it's never leaving! I swear that I'll be that geeky Mom who loves Pokemon. YES!

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    The only part of Pokemon I've actually quit for good is the anime. The anime is definitely made for kids, and it became repetitive and annoying after a while. I think the anime is the thing that's giving people the idea that the series is only for kids.

Now, the games? HELL no. I've been a fan of the games for at least 10 years (probably longer) and have no intention of quitting any time soon. There was a period around 2005-2006 where I stopped playing for a while (since it wasn't considered "cool" at the school I went to), so I missed out on Emerald version. I got back into it by D/P, though.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
    I did try to quit after about 2-3 years after 4th Gen. I got Pearl the first day it came out, played it, beat it, stopped. When I got into middle school/high school, I tried to quit completley because I was teased when I was little and I didn't want that to happen again. But I made some new friends in high school during my freshman year, and that got me talking about Pokemon but not playing it. The summer of 2010 I bought SS, and became somewhat hooked again. By sophmore year, a couple months after B/W came out, I purchased White and played it. I loved it soo much, and missed the feeling of playing it. Over last summer I could'nt stop playing it and thinking about it. It was all I talked about. I watched the first 5 seasons of Pokemon in 1 month, but after Misty left, I kinda got bored of the show. I started watching BW episodes awhile ago and now I'm a Pokemon fan forever!! :D I hope I never lose my love of Pokemon!

Basculin

Dragonite Fan
    Years
    I quit pokemon from....Ruby to Platinum.
    Ruby was my very first game, which I did beat.
    I have never been a "fanatic" like with all the EV'd, IV'd, flawless...it all confuses to me.
    I would love to learn though!
    I then got white...um, I'd say late 2010/early 2011. I then went cold-turkey in March and came back just a few days ago! :D
    I love pokemon. I watched every single BW pokemon episode in a little under a week. I LOVE IT NOW.
    I sort of hope I don't lost interest, but then I do because I tell myself no one plays.
    I wish pokemon wasn't embarrassing, so I could know how many people I know actually play.

Back