• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen R/B battery dying?

awsomedude30

Am I a beginning trainer?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    As most of you know, the G/S internal battery typically dies after a few years.
    My question is, does the same thing happen with R/B?​

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    Of course they can.

Basically, Every pokemon game has an internal battery.
    Even D/P.
    it's so you can save properly.

It's just that the later generations have a awesome ones, so they last for years and maybe decades.

Basically, If you think your internal battery is failing, just trade all your precious pokemon to another game that's compatable, and replace the internal battery.
    When it's all cleaned up, put your pokemon back.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Basically, Every pokemon game has an internal battery.
    Even D/P.
    it's so you can save properly.
    Crystal was the last game to use a battery to contain the save file. All games from Ruby and Sapphire on use flash memory to keep the save instead. (Ruby and Sapphire do have a battery, but it is only used to keep the clock running—if it dies, the game will still save.)

awsomedude30

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    alright ty guys
    also here is another question
    do emulators lose their internal batteries?

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Yes, they do. But some have other save features to save your exact point to your computer. It mostly like will say,"The internal battery has run dry" and you continue on as normal.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Emulators do not use real batteries, so they never run dry. Your save file is as safe as your hard disk.

awsomedude30

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    what if i transfer it to a flash card?
    then would it ever lose the batteries?

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 3, 2024
    I thought the battery affected the clocks in game... I'm probably wrong... Anyway, my cartridges haven't seemed to yet, and I've had them for 9 years. My G/S have gone ages ago.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    The battery is located inside the game cartridge thus an emulator cannot run out of batteries as it runs off your PC.

Pingouin_7

DS games don't have a battery. The clock runs off the DS's clock.

SickSilver

Kaba Modern
    Years
    • Age 31
    • L.A.
    • Seen Apr 11, 2009
    I think Pingouin_7 is right about that one. Not too sure though.

I remember when the battery on my crystal died. Worst thing ever.

Years
    RBY use batteries but die slower due to no clock. So the battery only runs when keeping the save.

GSC have batteries as evryone knows and they die faster due to the battery keeping the clock going and the save thus using more power.

Ruby, sapphire and Emerald run off a flash chip when it comes to saves.
    The battery is only used for time and that's it.
    Not long into GBA life Nintendo scrapped the save battery.
    Though really really early GBA games have battery to save but Pokemon RS came after the scrapping thus why the battery handles only the time in them. There was even a small statement on Nintendo's website (before they started revamping it and everything) bragging about how the flash chip would last longer than a battery save for RS.

Leaf green and Fire red due to having no clock have no battery in them at all. I pulled off the label and held them up to the light to check. Legit LG and FR have no battery.
    They run off flash aswell.

DP also are flash save. The clock is run off the battery within the DS. There's no battery in a DS card.

Though mind you despite knowing this much I can't really say how long a flash save would last.

I also don't know much about emulators. So I can't really answer that question either.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2014
    if the emulator can detect a clock, it wont run dry. i dont know how this is synced, because i recall using the speedup key on an emulated gsc game and it not affecting the in-game time (although i did clock up 10 hours play in a hour session)

some roms are just crap quality and have had 'optimisations' made so that they can be transfered to a pirated cartridge. one of them is the removal of the clock. since the game doesnt detect the clock itll have the 'the internal battery has run dry' message.

in this case you can still save, but as said in the game, clock events wont work at all. that means no day/night, no berries, no time-specific evolutions.

Exiled~Shadow

Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow
    Years
    Wow... i never new that was why i couldnt save... i was allways puzzled by the reason that my gold version wont work anymore... i was just about to start my own thread when i came across this... an internal battery hmm? nintendo's only flaw.....

awsomedude30

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    This is why they need a G/S remake
    i cried when i lost my Gold version

LeSmexyMongoose

PeT MeH oR Die!! >;D
    Years
    When my GSC games wouldn't save anymore,
    I got so pissed... >.>
    I noticed... my GSC roms,
    the time actually runs quicker there than the original cartage ones.
    If you ever played the Pokemon Prism beta, (hack to Gold)
    You'll notice it runs the same way...

I also noticed, if you have GPSP on your PSP,
    your PSP battery runs out quicker.

Last edited:

Pingouin_7

Leaf green and Fire red due to having no clock have no battery in them at all. I pulled off the label and held them up to the light to check. Legit LG and FR have no battery.
    They run off flash aswell.
    Hum, why did you scrap the label on it just to see a battery? ç_ç
    You could just have turned the cartridge upside down and look in it with a source of light...

EffervescentEevee

Eevee Breeder
    Years

Basically, If you think your internal battery is failing, just trade all your precious pokemon to another game that's compatable, and replace the internal battery.
    When it's all cleaned up, put your pokemon back.

How do you replace the internal battery?:\

Somebody told me that you can "reset it" or give into a game shop and they can "reset it" for you. Is that really possible?

POKEMASTERALEX

Pokemon Master.
    Years
    when you "reset" or "replace" your internal battery there is also a risk of losing your game if you do it wrong. Make sure you do it right or you will delete the game you were trying to save.

Back