• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rainbow Theory

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2016
    Niji was the codename for S/M, the japanese word for rainbow. Many thought that maybe that meant we'd get an edition with all previous games, but theories about this name soon stopped. Now that we got the the new info from the E3 it seems the new game has a deep connection to the rainbow-theme.

- there's a rainbow-coloured light tunnel at the start of each battle
    - the 'registered' in the dex is rainbow-coloured
    - the UI in battle is rainbow-coloured
    - the text of the Stats is rainbow-coloured

A friend of mine who was in hawaii recently, called my attention to another interesting thing. Melemele seems to be the name of the first island, at least Hala says so. Melemele just happens to be the hawaiian word for yellow. Another connection to the colour/rainbow-theme. Uliuli is blue, maomao green and ulaula red, wouldn't those be the perfect names for the three other islands? Islands named after the mainolours and I'd say the routes would be named after colours in the respective spectrums. For example on melemele we'd get different shades of yellow or maybe just yellow things as route names, like Pinapple-Route or Sand-Route. The description of the first route supports this in my oppinion. 'The number one route on the spectrum'. Sure, this could mean any spectrum, but what came to my mind was the colour spectrum. What do you think, could this mean that the routes are named after colours? The base rainbow-colours wouldn't be enough but there are a lot of shades in between.

What do you thing about this idea:)?

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    I like this theory. The islands being named after red, blue, yellow and green would also tie in with the 20th anniversary as they are the names of the Gen 1 games. If the man made island turns out to be the Pokemon League, maybe it could be named the Hawaiian word for Indigo.

deathpool

Hopeless Cole Stan
    Years
    Omg that's actually a great theory. Makes sense considering those are the colors of the first gen, and it IS the 20th anniversary after all

blue

gucci
    Years
    I like the connection this game has to rainbows. The sign on Route 1 has a description referring to a spectrum which probably relates to that too.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I think the reasoning for most rainbow stuff is because Hawaii is the Rainbow state. There are a lot of rainbows there and each island is nicknamed after a different color.

Melemele = Yellow, which is the nickname of the island in real life Hawaii that we start on. I speculated that they might keep to the names of the islands in real life, but I can see them changing the names to Red, Blue and Green to match the Gen 1 games. Also Green, reappeared in the XY Manga, so they might bring back the World Championship or something.

Years
    Like the others said, Hawaii is known as the Rainbow State and the fact that the islands could be named after colours points heavily toward this. I can't see colour-named towns and cities however since Kanto already took some of those ideas.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Like the others said, Hawaii is known as the Rainbow State and the fact that the islands could be named after colours points heavily toward this. I can't see colour-named towns and cities however since Kanto already took some of those ideas.
    We got a lot of more shades than what Gen I got. Maybe cities named after flowers that happen to also be colors, like Rosa town. Violet is taken in english by Violet town, so it's name in another language could work. Violeta?

Adore

Party.
    Years
    This is a great theory, and I'd love to see it implemented. And given that this is the 20th year of Pokemon, it would also be a nice reference to RBGY, when all of the cities were named after colors.

Years
    The battle royal uses the colors of the first four games. Perhaps the colors are also a reference to the islands' colors. In real life Hawaii has more islands that Alola (GF fused some), so they don't need to follow the real life islands' actual color nicknames.

Speaking of rainbow, it'll be fitting for Ho-oh to appear in Alola.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    I think it's rather safe to assume it was called Pokemon Rainbow because Hawaii is the Rainbow State. Anything else is just playing off that theme.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Hey guys. I wanted to bring this up. I am not sure if anyone has said it. It wasn't until I saw a youtuber mention it. But apparently there is something called 'The Whirling Rainbow Prophecy' they said it is Norse Mythology as well a Native American, but I haven't been able to find it in the Norse Mythology. But this matches well.

'There will come a day when people of all races, colors, and creeds will put aside their differences. They will come together in love, joining hands in unification, to heal the Earth and all Her children. They will move over the Earth like a great Whirling Rainbow, bringing peace, understanding and healing everywhere they go. Many creatures thought to be extinct or mythical will resurface at this time; the great trees that perished will return almost overnight. All living things will flourish, drawing sustenance from the breast of our Mother, the Earth.'

Therefore, I think these games and plot will be based off the Whirling Rainbow Prophecy.

They picked Hawaii because it is closely related to rainbows, even known as the Rainbow State. AND they said 'It all comes together'

And in a photo, there is a picture of the Rainbow Prophecy, a Lion, a Dolphin, a Wolf, and an Eagle.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    Hey guys. I wanted to bring this up. I am not sure if anyone has said it. It wasn't until I saw a youtuber mention it. But apparently there is something called 'The Whirling Rainbow Prophecy' they said it is Norse Mythology as well a Native American, but I haven't been able to find it in the Norse Mythology. But this matches well.

'There will come a day when people of all races, colors, and creeds will put aside their differences. They will come together in love, joining hands in unification, to heal the Earth and all Her children. They will move over the Earth like a great Whirling Rainbow, bringing peace, understanding and healing everywhere they go. Many creatures thought to be extinct or mythical will resurface at this time; the great trees that perished will return almost overnight. All living things will flourish, drawing sustenance from the breast of our Mother, the Earth.'

Therefore, I think these games and plot will be based off the Whirling Rainbow Prophecy.

They picked Hawaii because it is closely related to rainbows, even known as the Rainbow State. AND they said 'It all comes together'

And in a photo, there is a picture of the Rainbow Prophecy, a Lion, a whale, a wolf, and an eagle.

Sounds promising ... World recovery starting in Hawaii.. I see lots of rainbow friendly additions into the game happening.. let's hope

Years
    I love how Game Freak do clever references to previous games and with this being the 20th anniversary it makes perfect sense :)

Years

And in a photo, there is a picture of the Rainbow Prophecy, a Lion, a Dolphin, a Wolf, and an Eagle.

I'll like to point out that we saw Pokemon that weren't seen in Hoenn prior to the climax, appear after the climax. Professor Birch's even mentioned that species of Pokemon that were thought to be extinct in Hoenn have reappeared.

Note that all this happened after a green light emerged from the Cave of Origin. Some though the light was connected to Rayquaza. I suggested during the Third version speculation that perhaps it was linked to Zygarde. Now, note how Zygarde's chest has some of the colors of the rainbow? Also, there's my theory that Zygarde is connected to the center of the earth, and at least the spot where we fought Primal Groudon made me think of the center of the Earth. The meteorite we feed Rayquaza was powered by the power of the Earth's core (which was harnessed through the opening in the crust (a.k.a. Volcano in this case) called Mt. Chimney).

Hmm, I had mentioned in the new Pokemon thread that maybe we'll see the Rainbow snake from Australian aboriginal belief. Now, that I think about it...Zygarde might be the Rainbow snake itself. I read that the serpent would sometimes take the form of a Dingo, a kind of dog.
    Oh, apperantly it's also associated with Quartz.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    I'll like to point out that we saw Pokemon that weren't seen in Hoenn prior to the climax, appear after the climax. Professor Birch's even mentioned that species of Pokemon that were thought to be extinct in Hoenn have reappeared.

Note that all this happened after a green light emerged from the Cave of Origin. Some though the light was connected to Rayquaza. I suggested during the Third version speculation that perhaps it was linked to Zygarde. Now, note how Zygarde's chest has some of the colors of the rainbow? Also, there's my theory that Zygarde is connected to the center of the earth, and at least the spot where we fought Primal Groudon made me think of the center of the Earth. The meteorite we feed Rayquaza was powered by the power of the Earth's core (which was harnessed through the opening in the crust (a.k.a. Volcano in this case) called Mt. Chimney).

Hmm, I had mentioned in the new Pokemon thread that maybe we'll see the Rainbow snake from Australian aboriginal belief. Now, that I think about it...Zygarde might be the Rainbow snake itself. I read that the serpent would sometimes take the form of a Dingo, a kind of dog.
    Oh, apperantly it's also associated with Quartz.

There's also Zygarde's signature move while in Complete Forme, Core Enforcer. When fired upon the opponent, it goes from having a rainbow-colored aura to being a mostly green color once the opponent is hit. The name of the move itself may also be a hint towards what you're suggesting; at first I thought it referred to the Cores that make up part of Zygarde, but instead now I think it's related to the core of the Earth. The same core related to Mega-Evolution and the outpouring of the energy from the Cave of Origin. It also happens to be part Ground-type.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2016
    Sooo, now that we know Tapu Koko is mostly yellowish, Electric/Fairy and has a Ability that activates electric terrain, what can we make of this, concerning this theory? My first thought was that we'll get Grass/Fairy, Fire/Fairy and Water/Fairy for the other island guardians, perfectly fitting the idea that the other islands will also be named after a colour.
    We already have a grassy terrain as well, so there would be the ability for the guardian of green island, maybe something like floral surge?

Now comes the problem: we already have a similiar field effect for Fire and Water, being rain and sun. Maybe we'll get new terrains for those types? However, that's when I thought we might not get Water/Fairy and Fire/Fairy. Fighting type also has a reddish brown colour and for blue we even have two possibilities, Ice and Flying.

What are your thoughts about this:)?

Back