• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rainshower of Ladybugs

Years
  • All across Canada, everywhere you go, there are ladybugs. It started today, and I really do not know why it is. There are like ladybugs everywhere. Even my friends in other parts of Ontario (and other sides of Canada) are talking about the increase in population of Ladybugs. What might have caused this?

...wtf? o.o

Nich'ya

Navsegda
    Years
  • What season is it? That might have something to do with the sudden outburst.
    You fail at common sense. What ever season it is in the Southern Hemisphere, it is the opposite up in the Northern Hemisphere. It's Spring where you live. I wonder what it is here.

It's Fall. They are trying to find shelter from the cold. They swarm together when they do this, for protection. This is why it SEEMS there are more. You usually never see more than one in a place.

Articuno Girl

A wingbeat and a snowflake
    Years
  • Well I didn't know Canada was on the opposite hemisphere ._. I don't listen in geography classes. Yeesh..
    And that would be seasonal behaviour anyway ._. but whatever.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    That was a little harsh Ctep. ):

But Ryan, that sounds really cool! Or is more of an annoyance?
    Could they be migrating south for the winter? Or do bugs not do that? I'm not sure :P
    And has this ever happened before in Canada? o:
    Or maybe it's the hatching time of year?

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • That's abnormal. I only heard of ladybugs migrating downwards(to the SA, like any migrating organisms), but in Canada? Isn't Canada colder than the US?

Nich'ya

Navsegda
    Years
  • Well I didn't know Canada was on the opposite hemisphere ._. I don't listen in geography classes. Yeesh..
    And that would be seasonal behaviour anyway ._. but whatever.
    You fail at geography. Whether or not you don't listen in geography class, EVERYONE knows where Canada is. Same for Mexico. This is because, everyone knows where the US is and those are the only two countries that border it. :/

So you still fail.

Spoiler:

That's abnormal. I only heard of ladybugs migrating downwards(to the SA, like any migrating organisms), but in Canada? Isn't Canada colder than the US?
    Not really. See my above post.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Here in the Southeast US, we have a problem with them getting into college dorm rooms. I've been told that in addition to seeking heat, they're attracted to the buildings themselves for some odd reason. They will show up everywhere in my room, and it's actually quite gross.

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
  • It's gross at my school. The front door has two huge columns in front of it, and when you look up at the top of the columns, there's literally tons of ladybugs walking around the column together. It's creepy. xD And they're flying all over the place.

I remember a few years ago my Nannie also had a problem with ladybugs getting into her house and they were absolutely covering her windows and were in her porch.

If they are moving around for warmth, why don't they go farther? It's just getting colder and colder here.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years

• You fail at geography. Whether or not you don't listen in geography class, EVERYONE knows where Canada is. Same for Mexico. This is because, everyone knows where the US is and those are the only two countries that border it. :/

So you still fail.
    Can you stop saying everyone fails. I'm sorry if you know everything in the world but no need to throw it into people's faces.

Anyway, the Ladybug "season" is a pretty cool event happening down at your end. I wish I had it, maybe you can show some pics?

EpsilonE

Banned
    Years
  • You fail at geography. Whether or not you don't listen in geography class, EVERYONE knows where Canada is. Same for Mexico. This is because, everyone knows where the US is and those are the only two countries that border it. :/

So you still fail.

Spoiler:

Not really. See my above post.

"You must feel superior!"
    You're such a melon. lol

I think the outburst is probably just chance. I used to live in Washigton state bordering Canada, and we had a truckload of lady bugs in our yard one year. Not sure why, or how, but they were in our house, fireplace, basement, everywhere.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • o_O; Oh, okay so it wasn't just me. I've been seeing a lot of them the last week, which is weird, since I don't really recall seeing any all year up to now. There's almost always at least one in any given classroom on campus and there's been one crawling around my window lately.

That's strange. xD I don't think this has happened in previous years, but it's odd to hear it's not just in Waterloo.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • Anyone recalled the great locust plague in america some time ago? They've been migrating all over the continent looking for food. It maybe the same for ladybugs.

Metatron

No guts, no glory
    Years
  • Okay, no joke? I'm down in Massachusetts (Northeastern US), and I've been noticing this lately too. I came home from school 2 days ago, and there were *legit* 2,000 ladybugs flying around the bushes outside my house ._.

Persona

Banned
    Years
  • There were like 30 of them swarming around my window in the past week, so I definitely felt that something was up. At first I thought ladybugs were beginning to be attracted to me. :[

But anyways, I heard that the reason why there are so many of them was because our government apparently released a stock of Asian ladybugs in Canada for the purpose of protecting commercial crops. I personally don't care much, they're quite harmless. :3

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • But anyways, I heard that the reason why there are so many of them was because our government apparently released a stock of Asian ladybugs in Canada for the purpose of protecting commercial crops. I personally don't care much, they're quite harmless. :3

True. Ladybugs eat aphids, mealybugs and other smaller pests. Is it true that they intentionally released them? How about a source of the news?

Back