• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Random Shiny Encounters

Magikarp Queen

Magikarp Tamer
Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2012
    I had a shiny chansey in Diamond, but I got the stupid and erased her D:

But then in Black, I had been training for several hours in this one grassy patch and I ran into a shiny Watchog. Kinda ticked it was just a Watchog, but any shiny is a good shiny I suppose.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    I got a shiny Abra on Crystal, very hard to catch and it was shiny even, and then, run out of batteries and hadn't save the game ...

Years
  • I have rubbish luck with shinies, and seemed to have 1 hit kO'd most of the ones I find,making me super SUPER annoyed. I believe I've killed about three?? An abra in SS, a zubat in Sapphire and a wurmple in Blue. However, surviving to this day I have a gorgeous shiny spearow! Yay!

Espeonrules

~Pokemon Fan-Girl~
    Years
  • I've had a grand total of 7 shinies, the most recent encountered during my Nuzlocke in Ruby right now. Actually, Ruby is the game where I've had the most shinies. Dunno why. I guess it's lucky?

My first was waaaay back in the day, when I had my first ever game: Sapphire. Yeah, I was a latecomer to the PokeGaming world. Anyways, it was my first game, meaning, I was a total amatuer and had NO clue about shinies, so imagine my surprise when I saw a yellow-green Oddish on Route 120. I seriously thought the game was glitched. I was scared, so I ran away and turned off my Sapphire for a while.

I remember looking it up later and after realizing what it was, banged my head on the table. Literally.

My next one was again in Sapphire, an orange Cacnea. This time, I knew what it was immediately and caught it. Cue happy dance.
    Third was in Ruby. I was playing my friend's save file and wala, I ran into a mint green Marrill on Route 117! I even remember my friend naming it Minty after it's color. Alas, it was lost after I deleted that save file, forgetting it was there.
    Then I found a green Geodude in Firered. I don't remember much about that encounter, but I believe I caught it. I think it was on one of the islands.
    Fifth was an orange Poochyena on Route 121 in Emerald. I was so excited, as it was a long time since I'd seen one. I remember I had just spent HOURS looking for a darn Chimecho, so I sent it out to weaken it. I chucked some Ultra Balls at it, but it kept escaping, and then finally it just used Roar on me and fleed. I was in shock for a while after that.
    My sixth was just recently in my Nuzlocke on Ruby, where I found a lime green Wingull on one of the ocean routes. I caught it pretty easily. I was super excited, as again, it's been a LONG time since I played my games, and it was nice surprise seeing this little guy.
    My seventh I failed to catch, sadly. It was a dark green Zubat, found at Seafloor Cavern, again in Ruby. It was a sad, sad day that day.

I guess I've been pretty lucky to even have SEEN this many shinies, as some people I see have only encountered one. Some peope don't even find them, at least not randomly.

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    a tentacool in gold
    an oddish in ruby
    a weedle in fire red
    and finally saw a pichu yesterday on my platinum... BUT LUXRAY JUST HAD TO KILL IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111 :(

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Found only three in my more than a decade pokemon career.

- A paras in Gold. Really random. i killed it, thinking it was a glitch or something. child'smind
    - A hariyama in Ruby's Victory Road. Freaked out at first, then used Master Ball, thinking it would run away.
    - And... A shiny Electrode in my recent HeartGold mono-type bug run. I had no chance to keep it afterwards, since it is a special run. So, I ignored it, and used Psychic for the hell of it. Good experience, my Forretress leveled up.

Years
  • I've only found/caught a few:
    • Shiny Scyther in Crystal; unfortunately, it was in the Bug-Catching Contest and ran away quickly. Didn't catch
    • Shiny Marill in Sapphire. Caught
    • Shiny Golbat in Sapphire. Caught
    • Shiny Ditto in LeafGreen; imprudently, I had my Rayquaza out and the Ditto transformed into it, making it almost impossible to catch. Didn't catch
    • Shiny Smeargle in Emerald. Caught
    • Shiny Wingull in Emerald, only a few days after the Smeargle. Caught
    • Two shiny Bidoofs in Pearl, but these were both by the PokeRadar method, which has frustrated me too much to succeed in finding any other shinies. Caught and Caught

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • Shiny Bidoof

Only shiny I have ever found

I was kind of upset, as it had to be bidoof

Not as bad as somebody I was following on Tumblr, their first shiny encounter was a Magikarp :P

To this day I have only encountered one shiny ever and it was totally random. A shiny Bellsprout in Pokémon Crystal. But being a noob [i.e. seven years old] I thought it was going to destroy my game like Missingno.

Oddly enough, I caught Pokérus on Diamond tonight, so I'm expecting to encounter a shiny any day now if I'm that lucky :P

Years
  • I never run into shiny pokemon D:

I did once, a long time ago in my Gold version. It was a wild Hoot-Hoot. I caught it but I started over since then so I can't admire it anymore :(

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • My first ever shiny Pokemon was a Tentacool in Heart Gold.
    It's in my PC at the moment, just for admiring purposes.. because who uses a Tentacool?

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I've never run into a wild Shiny Pokémon. : <
    Only a shiny Espeon in the Battle Tower, but that couldn't be caught, you know? :V
    I kind of wished I could one day capture a Shiny Pokémon. I don't like all of their colour designs, but it's pretty neat if you can say you have one.

Xx Typhlosion xX

Typhlosion FtW!
    Years
  • I've had a handfull or shinies during my playthrough in the Pokemon series.

First in gold, a tentacool while surfing to Cianwood, then a Doduo while training on the route outside Victory Road

In Emerald, I ran into an Electrike on route 110...

In Diamond, I was running through the fog in some route (can't remember) and out comes a shiny Machop!

Pokemon Black, I was breeding Nidoran females for a specific nature and to my suprise, I hatched a shiny... I then had loads of them due to trading.

Shijo

Scientist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2013
    the only shiny i've ever found was a female zubat, that later evolved to golbat and crobat, it was the first time i've played pokemon silver, since then crobat became my second favorite pokemon

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    Leaf Green: Gastly (Pokémon Tower)
    Emerald: Wurmple (Route 102), Wooper (Safari Zone), Clamperl (Underwater)
    Heart Gold: Caterpie (National Park)
    White: Solosis (Route 5)
    I only have Caterpie left (which is a Butterfree now).

Last edited:

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • The first shiny I saw was a Wild Mankey and I was like OMG A SHINEY MANKEY. Then I figured out I couldn't catch it so I either killed it or run away.
    The only other shiny I remember having was Shiny Caterpie (from Viridian Forest)... I never actually trained my shinies; I only kept them in my PC. Poor them -.-
    Well, that's my shiny history in FireRed.

In Sapphire, I had a Shiny Gulpin and to me it was sooooooooooooooo previous that I refused to evolve it, fearing that it will lose its shininess (yeah I was a noob back then). I had other shinies as well although since I got them a long time ago, I kind of forgot xD

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    My first shiny was a zubat that I accidently killed. Never seen a random shiny again after that.

Years
  • My first Shiny out all the games come from the most recent purchase of Pokemon Black, a Shiny Pidove....in which I just traded it for a Mew and a Pidgey. [:

- MegamanC

Gamercoke

Slacker
    Years
  • I've only seen 1 shiny.

I was sitting on the can, playing Pokémon White, then I ran into a shiny Sandile (Think that was the name). Nearly fell down in the toilet! :D

Back