• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rank each region based on starter Pokémon

Years
    • Seen today
    Figured I could update after PLA and SV:

1. Sinnoh
    2. Hisui (They actually picked my favorite starter line from each of their respective regions)
    3. Johto
    4. Unova
    5. Alola
    6. Paldea (Really liked the Fuecoco line, but not so much the other two)
    7. Hoenn
    8. Kanto
    9. Kalos
    10. Galar

Descendng

actual real Sableye. trust me.
    Years
    Ough, I've been thinking about this one a lot recently, actually. Here's my personal ranking, along with my ranking of the 3 starters in that region. Not counting Hisui personally.
    Just a note, I don't dislike any of these trios.

1. Unova
    Snivy > Oshawott = Tepig

2. Hoenn
    Mudkip > Treecko > Torchic

3. Johto
    Cyndaquil > Totodile > Chikorita

4. Sinnoh
    Chimchar = Turtwig = Piplup

5. Paldea
    Quaxly = Sprigatito = Fuecoco

6-8. Kanto, Alola, and Kalos (all tied. dunno how to rank them LOL)
    Squirtle > Bulbasaur = Charmander

Rowlet > Popplio = Litten

Chespin = Froakie > Fennekin

9. Galar
    Scorbunny > Sobble >>>>>>> Grookey (okay yeah I really don't like Grookey, sorry)

if I had to include Hisui somewhere it'd probably be somewhere in the upper middle between Sinnoh and Paldea, unsure though.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    1. Hoenn - Hoenn was once my favorite region in all of pokemon, but was toppled by Unova and Kalos. However, Hoenn is the only region where I have liked every single starter pokemon and played the games with all three in many different runs. While Blaziken has lost some ground in the recent gens, it was once my favorite after Empoleon.
    Sceptile > Swampert = Blaziken.

2. Sinnoh - The only reason Sinnoh is here is because of Empoleon. Empoleon has always been my favorite pokemon. While I am not the biggest fan of Infernape and Torterra, I feel like my favoritism toward Empoleon brings Sinnoh up to the top except for Hoenn.
    Empoleon > Infernape > Torterra

3. Kalos - Recently I have begun liking all three starters. While I love both Greninja and Delphox, I never really liked Chesnaught, but with my growing love for Fighting Type pokemon, as well has Chesnaught becoming an ace in TCG Online a while back, I've begun to love it.
    Greninja = Delphox > Chesnaught

4. Unova - Unova was, for the longest time, one of the only gens to come near Hoenn when it came to loving all the starters. My first playthrough was with all starters thanks to having two DS's and getting both copies of BW. Overtime my love for them has faded, but I still like all three.
    Emboar = Serperior = Samurott

5. Johto - Johto has always had far more nostalgia for me than Kanto ever did. I love Typhlosion, but have also gained a liking for Feraligatr as of my last play through of HGSS.
    Typhlosion > Feraligatr > Maganium

6. Alola - The only reason it is probably up this high is because of Decidueye. For a while, I hadn't liked any of the grass starters. But Decidueye is one of my favorite pokemon. I can't justify it being high like Empoleon so that is why it is down here. I really don't care too much for the other two.
    Decidueye > Incenaroar > Primarina

7. Hisui - It has all my passed favorites in it. Plus once again Decidueye is there and a Fighting Type, which is one of my favorite types.
    H Decidyete > H Typhlosion > H Samurott

8. Kanto - The over use of the starters since Kalos has decimated my love for these pokemon. More so Charizard than the others. I used to love both Blastoise and Charizard, but man they have been so overused. It is like listening to the same story over and over and over again until you are completely sick of them. I really do hate to put these so far down, but I just do not like these pokemon like I once did.
    Blastoise > Charizard > Venasaur

9. Galar - While I like Cinderace, I just don't care about the other two.
    Cinderace > Rillaboom > Intellion

10. Paldea - They have been the worst starters for me. I've never felt so... annoyed I guess by their designs. We got two humanoids and then a Crocodile who would have been great if not for the typing and the new recent info about why Skeledirge was even a ghost type to begin with. While I like both Skeledirge and Meowscada, this is the only region where I've thought about completely removing the starter from my main team because I just don't care about them.
    Meowscarada = Skeledirge > Quaquaval

Edit Note - After going back to the previous page, I wanted to list the order of starters that I like per Gen, but didn't want to post again, so just some extra info added.

Last edited:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    1. Hisui, for having my favourites from 3 regions and for the regional evolutions.
    2. Alola, for being pretty much the only region where I like all three whole starter lines.
    3. Kalos, because it only falls short of Delphox for me to like all starter lines.
    4. Johto, because it has my favourite overall starter line (Cyndaquil) as well as the cute Chikorita line.
    5. Hoenn. Mudkip line. Enough said.
    6. Kanto. Good designs, if somewhat unmemorable - Pikachu and Eevee included.
    7. Paldea, because of the Fuecoco line alone, plus the first two stages of the Sprigatito line.
    8. Unova. Only really like the Oshawott line but not enough its region higher.
    9. Galar. Loved the Scorbunny line but have been losing interest on it lately. I wish Cinderace had been part Fighting. Hate the other two lines.
    10. Sinnoh. Overrated as all hell, and I still can't forgive Game Freak for scrapping Flat F*ck Torterra.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    would be something like:

Hoenn>Alola>Paldea>>Kanto/Johto/Sinnoh/Galar/Kalos>>Unova

If I really wanted to I could maybe put that middle chunk in order, but they're all close enough for me that they can just be a fat blob in the middle together.
    There's also the funny bit how one of my favorite regions/generations has my least favorite starter trio, while one of my least favorite regions/generation has my 2nd favorite trio

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    In bold my first pick each region.

Johto: Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium, Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion and Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr are absolutely awesome in their simplicity. These are some overlooked and underrated starters in my opinion.
    Unova: they seem like gone forever - can't wait to see them again. I'll always be a fan of Snivy/Servine/Serperior, Tepig/Pignite/Emboar and Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott. Just a bit of a preference here, I am not really sure. Tomorrow, it might change.
    Paldea: the new starters, Sprigatito/Meowscarada, Fuecoco/Crocalor/Skeledirge and Quaxly/Quaquaval, are surprisingly beautiful.
    Kanto: my first Pokémon was Bulbasaur who's also a poison type starter. Never get tired of these three myself, Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur, Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard and Squirtle/Wartotle/Blastoise.
    Sinnoh: enjoy the unique type combinations of both Turtwig/Torterra and Piplup/Prinplup/Empoleon. Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape's a pretty good one of a starter as well.
    Alola: Popplio/Brionne/Primarina is a cutie and the first ever starter to get the - at the time - recently released fairy type. I'm also a fan of Rowlet/Dartrix/Decidueye and Incineroar.
    Kalos: Chespin/Chesnaught is the most underrated starter and probably that's also one of the reasons I love this Pokémon. Braixen/Delphox and Frogadier/Greninja are pretty cool as well.
    Hoenn: very fond of Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile but I can't say the same about the other two. I do appreciate Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken and Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert but "not a big fan" here.
    Galar: Drizzile/Inteleon is my favourite here - cool hidden ability and "sniper" based gigantamax form in particular. Thwackey is cute and Scorbunny/Raboot/Cinderace's pretty nice, okay. That's it.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    10. In dead last, Unova. Other than Samurott's counterintuitive body plan and Pignite and Emboar not being pure Fire-types, there isn't anything egregious about them, but I really don't care about these guys. It's a shame because Game Freak's designers have talked at length about how inspired these designs are, but the execution is...just not it for me.
    9. Galar has Inteleon, which immediately lowers Galar's starters in my rankings. The rest are...fine, I guess? I'm just mad Drizzile doesn't evolve into something that keeps its vibe or even color scheme, and Cinderace is a little off-putting to me, even if its general design is fine. I don't care much about the Grookey line.
    8. Johto. I doubt these guys are going to rank highly in most people's eyes because of how overshadowed they are. The Totodile line is fine, I guess. But I wanna talk about how Meganium is literally the only fully evolved starter that doesn't seem to evoke any aura of coolness or strength. It's just ":D." It's a very strange design decision, but I suppose this from a time when Game Freak didn't know what mold to set for starters.
    7. Kalos. Mostly the same deal as Unova, except I like the Froakie line.
    6. Paldea. I love Fuecoco, I like Quaxly, and I think Sprigatito is bland; it's funny how my opinions on them reverse when they evolve. Floragato and Meowscarada are solid designs in my book; I still can't hate the Fuecoco line because I like crocodiles, but Skeledirge's design is a mess; Quaxwell is almost impressively lame, and Quaquaval doesn't quite sit right with me.
    5. Alola. This has by far one of my favorite starter lines in Rowlet's, but Popplio's line doesn't appeal to me and Incineroar makes me go "why." Not a fan of how all three end up being slow, too.
    4. Kanto. You can tell how fond I am of starter Pokémon in general by how I ranked the Kanto starters, which I think are serviceable (not that much).
    3. Hisui. I think the starters getting Hisuian forms is cool, and I like them more than their original forms (except for Decidueye, but I wouldn't call it a downgrade from its Alolan counterpart).
    2. Sinnoh. Now THESE are starters; you've got a world turtle, Sun Wukong, and a Poseidon penguin. I think all three are pretty cool, and I like that, except for Infernape, they end up with pretty distinct typings.
    1. Hoenn. I may be biased because I grew up with Hoenn, but I can't think of a single Hoenn starter I dislike in any stage, and Sceptile and Combusken are the only ones I think are less than great; even then, Sceptile's design is solid, and Combusken being a molting chicken makes sense. I tie Treecko with Rowlet as my favorite starter Pokémon of all time, but unlike Rowlet, I'm fine with all three options presented to me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2023
    My overall rankings would be:

1: Alola: for loving all three starter lines
    2. Paldea: Once again, another region that I love all three starter lines
    3. Hisui: For being really nice regional forms of their lines
    4. Hoenn: For being a balanced trio
    5. Kalos: With Chespin being the only one I'm not huge on.
    6. Unova: Snivy and Oshawott lines are great, Tepig is eh.
    7. Sinnoh: Another 2/3 trio, really like Turtwig and Piplup, but not Chimchar.
    8. Galar: Once again, another 2/3. Really like Scorbunny and Sobble, don't care for Grookey. I wish they had duel types.
    9. Kanto: They are classics, I just find myself preferring later trios.
    10: Johto: Just really not a fan of how bland their final evos are.

Back