• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rank the Generations

Years
  • Hey guys I just want to know how others rank all of the generations in order from best to worst.
    Heres mine:
    1. Generation IV
    2. Generation VI
    3. Generation II
    4. Generation III
    5. Generation I
    6. Generation V

I absolutly loved all of the Generations other then Gen V.
    I liked it but I didn't love it
    What do you guys think?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Gen 6
    Gen 5
    Gen 1
    Gen 4
    Gen 3
    Gen 2

I really liked the last two generations more than I liked the original. Fourth came in lower, but it wasn't as horrible as people made it out to be. I didn't have too many likes in the Pokemon then, though some did grow on me. Gen 3 was so lack luster for me. It and Gen 2 are the hardest games for me to play because I get bored of it after about 20 mins. I have hardly any favorites from this gen.

Gen 2 was the worst for me. I didn't like the sequel vibe when it first came out. I thought it was the end of Pokemon back when I finished the game, though didn't really care since I was young. I didn't have a lot of love for their remakes and they still take a considerable amount of will power to play.

Terff

the unimportant
    Years
  • Gen III
    Gen II
    Gen VI
    Gen V
    Gen I
    Gen IV

Honestly I really did not like gen 4 for whatever reason, gen 3 was my favorite because it was the generation I started with and everything about it was fantastic in my opinion.

mayuyu

Fairy Queen
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2014
    Gen III/Gen IV
    Gen I
    Gen VI
    Gen II
    Gen V

So I organized them by ALL the games included in the generation, including remakes. That being said, Gen III had Kanto in color and the Hoenn games (I loved the climate of the region, the Battle Frontier, and diving). I loved Gen IV more for HGSS than DPPt, but Sinnoh also had some of my favorite legendaries and I love playing Pokemon for the mysteries (all those Sinnoh myths were perf).

I'll admit, Gen I is only so high because of nostalgia; the gameplay in later generations was superior. Gen VI has been good so far. Gen II pales in comparison to Gen I (like someone else said, it felt like way too much of a sequel) and especially to its remakes imo

Nothing stood out to me about Gen V. I can't remember anything about it and I've been meaning to restart my Black version because of that.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • 1 - Gen 2
    A lot of content, seeing how Kanto changed over the last three years (best post-game ever) , a Pokédex that wasn't imbalanced, and wasn't yet too big to complete. Putting in completely different sprites for most Pokémon in all three versions was a nice touch. Not to mention, my favorite soundtrack in the series (unfortunately, the remakes butchered some of the songs) . It is also one of the three adventures with a Victory Road that I don't hate.

On a side note, this generation put in place the template for the future stories that became quite old as time has passed: you see the evil team put stuff in place at different points in your adventure, then, right after you get your seventh badge, the evil team makes its move, most often involving the legendary version mascot (not the case here) you battle them, the team is disbanded, and then the final badge and the Pokémon league are more of an afterthought. We'll see this template over and over again in the future.

2 - Gen 5
    Two different and new adventures in one generation, who would have thought? :) While more story-driven than the rest (with the unfortunate side-effect of constant handholding) , it gave us what I consider to be some of the most interesting characters in the series, be it rivals, gym leaders or the evil team. The template that I discussed above, while visibly attempted both times, is not actually used. Also, Black and White versions have the most differences between versions I've seen in Pokémon games (Opelucid City, Black City/White Forest...) .

I especially like Black 1 & White 1 for two reasons: completely new Pokémon that, on first playthrough, made me feel like I was discovering the series all over again, which felt really cool, and of course the story, including what I consider to be the best ending in the series. I also liked how the evil team's motivations and goals were a bit more, can I say, realistic in these games? Instead of looking for some Pokémon and use its power to change the world, they manipulate people.

Black 2 & White 2 have lots of completely optional areas, which is cool. Also, I like the story that is more classic than in Black & White, but putting it in the context of what happened in the first games IMO really works. They also contain the second Victory Road out of three that I don't hate.

3 - Gen 3
    The first generation after the reboot. The games turned me off at first, because not knowing what a regional Pokédex was, I thought they completely threw most of old Pokémon out, but after a friend showed me a complete National Pokédex, I was relieved.

While at first I was disappointed by not being able to go to the other regions, upon replay I realized how big Hoenn actually was, so now I don't mind. I also really liked how roles of both evil teams were reversed depending on the version you're playing, and how Emerald managed to combine both versions of the story.

4 - Gen 6
    Why so low, you ask? Well, I barely care about the leap to 3D, and while I do like nostalgia, these games really overdid it (reusing the map of Viridian Forest, really?). In terms of story, I recognize that Gen 5 was a tough act to follow, but what we have here is a story that combines the worst of the other stories: constant handholding as seen in Gen 5, characters that give us no reason to care about them (the only ones I did care about that I can think of are Emma and, strangely, Lysandre), the evil team is back to having ridiculous goals, and the template I described above is back in full effect. There's not much exploration to be done here, and the post-game is almost nonexistent.

Oh, and the Pokémon Transfer IMO should have been an offline feature. I described in another thread how I think it could have worked while having the hack checker up to date etc, I'm not going to repeat myself here.

On a positive note, the graphics are nice to look at, the soundtrack has a few memorable tunes. The Exp Share is a godsend to people like me who hate grinding, and this is also the third adventure where I don't hate the Victory Road. But other than that, Gen 6 is... just there.

5 - Gen 4
    While I do recognize that these versions did bring a lot changes and adjustments to the gameplay that I enjoyed, the overall feeling I got from Diamond and Pearl was "Gen 3, part 2", minus the interesting alterations in the story between versions. I also thought the stretch between the second and third badges was painfully long, the very long save times and the painfully slow battle animations were inexcusable, the difficulty wasn't all that well scaled, the requirement to see all the Pokémon in the Regional Dex to unlock the postgame was an incredibly pathetic attempt at making the game longer, and, let's be real here, the legendary Pokémon were ridiculous (creators of time, space and antimatter, and GOD, really?) .

Platinum tried to redeem this gen by fixing a lot of these problems (and I really liked what they did with the lighting in some areas, like the caves) , but IMO it was to little too late. Also, a moment I found aggravating in Platinum: you know how I feel about event exclusives, I've been rambling for a while now on how they shouldn't have been included in the National Pokédex at all... well, having to see Manaphy, a Pokémon that can't be caught, in order to proceed was just plain trolling on GF's part.

6 - Gen 1
    I understand, this game was the one that started it all, but it aged horribly. A lot of things were wrong with those games: horrible graphics, a completely unbalanced ensemble of Pokémon (Psychic owning everything else, single Special stat), no breeding (a big deal if you're trying to complete the Pokédex) , the bag that holds everything in one pocket and finds itself constantly being filled up... just play the remakes, that's all I'll say.

Years
  • 1. Gen 4 - Platinum will always for some reason hold a very special place in my heart. To me, it was the best Pokemon game ever made. I don't know why, I don't even have a reason. I just clocked so many hours into it. Heart Gold and Soul Silver were also perfect remakes in my opinion.

2. Gen 6
    3. Gen 3
    4. Gen 5
    5. Gen 2
    6. Gen 1

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • In order of how I enjoyed playing through the story:
    III > II > V > I > VI > IV

In order of Pokemon designs and creativity:
    II > III > V/VI > IV > I

Overall:
    III > VI > II > V > I > IV

I don't hate any generation though, so my rankings aren't really calling any of them terrible, however I do hate Diamond and Pearl, strictly for the speed of the game and lack of variety in Pokemon. I love Platinum though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2014
    1.G/S/C
    2.X/Y
    3.D/P/Pt
    4.R/B/Y
    5.R/S/E
    6.B/W

G/S/Y was the overall best in terms of story, pokemon design, and playability. It gave you twice as much play time as the others, although half of it was a remake. X/Y is second because it has so many ways to easily train your pokemon, and the graphics are a slight advancement for a handheld pokemon game. D/P/Pt was third because it does have a few nice Pokémon, and the story is quite nice for its time. R/B/Y, while being the first of the games, are not as good as some of it's sequels. The story doesn't give too much detail in the originals, although in that era, a story in a video game was more rare than not. R/S/E did have some neat Pokémon design, but was lackluster in it's story; it felt like it was just thrown together in a week. B/W felt like it was just rushed. The story, the Pokémon... One of the Pokémon was a trash bag. If that doesn't scream rushed, I don't know what does. And to add on to it, the story has lazy writing splattered all over it.. Anyways, all of that is just my opinion.

Years
  • Now that I've played X/Y I'll give my thoughts...

1. Gen V (Unova)

No-brainer here, 5th Gen is still my fave even after my recent run of X/Y. Main reasons include the fact I loved the main story in this generation, particularly in B/W (although B2/W2's one is good too) and I loved most of the characters and Pokemon of this generation, plus I'm biased because it introduced my fave Pokemon of all time. I managed to play my 5th Gen games for a very long time because I love Unova so much. Plus, I loved how B/W had only new Pokemon until you beat the main story. It was pretty fun in my opinion.

2. Gen VI (Kalos)

This generation is just too awesome for words, the 3D graphics are stunning, the Pokemon are really cool and I grew onto them very fast, plus the trainer customization is a nice feature. While I finished the main story of X in only 3 days, I still loved the job Game Freak to make the game graphically amazing. Plus, Pokemon Amie sure is addictive, and I loved the benefits it can give you in battle. Still not enough to knock Gen V off the list, but it's still an awesome generation so play it if you haven't already.

3. Gen IV (Sinnoh)

Yeah, I guess you're starting to notice I'm someone who likes newer generations more but it's because I like their Pokemon designs and I do think they get better with every new generation. Sinnoh is quite a beautiful region in its own way, and the starters all gain useful second types when they fully evolve (I know Kalos does the same, but this one did it first) which is definitely a first. The only complaint I had here was that Diamond and Pearl were very slow and had a lack of good Pokemon, but thankfully Platinum fixed that.

4. Gen III (Hoenn)

My first generation as far as playing the games goes, I did like this generation Pokemon design-wise but it's kinda hard given the lack of physical-special split. My team was also kinda redundant on my first Ruby playthrough but hehehe I did end up beating the game. Hoenn is very unique but it scored quite low as newer generations came out. Plus, the starters are quite cool.

5. Gen II (Johto)

I did play this generation, but only in HG/SS so I'm not sure if it counts, but I still have to say Johto was kinda unimpressing as far as characters and Pokemon go. I often struggled a lot when playing given how annoying some opponents can be. Plus, I never got to play the original Gen II games so yeah that's why it ranked quite low.

6. Gen I (Kanto)

Yeah, the original ended up as my least fave, like what I stated about Gen II, I never played the original games of the generation plus most of Kanto's Pokemon never grew on me as much as later generations. And of course, it's overrated. Sorry Kanto fans, it's just that I found the Pokemon not very diverse-looking.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I was running this through my head the other day and came to this conclusion;

#1 - Generation III (Hoenn)
    #2 - Generation VI (Kalos)
    #3 - Generation IV (Sinnoh)
    #4 - Generation V (Unova)
    #5 - Generation II (Johto)
    #6 - Generation I (Kanto)

(Favourite - Least Favourite)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • V > VI > III > IV > II > I

B/W to me felt like the most original and creative Pokémon games, with the best storytelling sense to date, and Unova is a very interesting and varied region to explore.

X/Y is honestly just as good as B/W, but the relative lack of new pokémon and the flood of nostalgic pokémon make the regional dex seem highly diluted. Kalos is also just a bit awkwardly designed, why no connecting route between Santalune and Camphrier, for example?

R/S are beautiful games in a beautiful region with a beautiful batch of pokémon, although the storytelling is a bit awkward and its graphics and gameplay are getting somewhat dated by now...

D/P just felt rushed to me...your choice in fire-types were limited to Infernape and Rapidash, half of the pokémon Game Freak created for the generation were inaccessible until the post-game, and the battle speed and surfing are set way too slow, which makes slogging through the game feel like a chore. Cyrus was way too intense of an antagonist for the type of game Pokémon is, and the entire Galactic plot ended up feeling way out of place. I also personally find Sinnoh to be way too large and disorienting to navigate.

R/B and G/S both suffer from being way too technically outdated and having little to no plot to them, though G/S barely edges R/B out in both regards.

Years
  • V > VI > III > IV > II > I

B/W to me felt like the most original and creative Pokémon games, with the best storytelling sense to date, and Unova is a very interesting and varied region to explore.

X/Y is honestly just as good as B/W, but the relative lack of new pokémon and the flood of nostalgic pokémon make the regional dex seem highly diluted. Kalos is also just a bit awkwardly designed, why no connecting route between Santalune and Camphrier, for example?

R/S are beautiful games in a beautiful region with a beautiful batch of pokémon, although the storytelling is a bit awkward and its graphics and gameplay are getting somewhat dated by now...

D/P just felt rushed to me...your choice in fire-types were limited to Infernape and Rapidash, half of the pokémon Game Freak created for the generation were inaccessible until the post-game, and the battle speed and surfing are set way too slow, which makes slogging through the game feel like a chore. Cyrus was way too intense of an antagonist for the type of game Pokémon is, and the entire Galactic plot ended up feeling way out of place. I also personally find Sinnoh to be way too large and disorienting to navigate.

R/B and G/S both suffer from being way too technically outdated and having little to no plot to them, though G/S barely edges R/B out in both regards.
    For some reason I just couldn't get into B/W. I don't know. Maybe I should give it another try. But for a long time I thought Gen IV was terrible. I hated D/P, for the same reasons you listed, but that all changed with Platinum it saced the Sinnoh region for me. I also enjoyed HG/SS, so Gen IV really was saved in my eyes

Stevo-kun

Push to the limit, Give more!
    Years
  • For me they are in this order.

1 - R/B/Y - The reason for this is because personally I like the starting set of Pokémon the best, especially the Starters, also they include my favourites like Pidgeot and Charizard.

2 - X/Y - This is up there because it was what I have wanted for Pokémon for years, ever since Pokémon Stadium came out I have wanted something like that with the main gameplay and story elements from the handheld games.

3 - R/S/E - This is third mainly because of the characters being 'cool' in a way. Not to mention Blaziken!

4 - D/P/P - Just really enjoyed the whole story of this, also the change in the battle system, splitting them into physical, special ad other types of attack was great!

5 - G/S/C - I will get some flack for this being as it is many peoples favourites for various reasons, but I personally don't rank it up there. What stopped it from being bottom is the ability to go through both Hoenn and Kanto.

6 - Black/White/Black 2/White 2 - What can anyone say about their least favourite? Not a lot really, just the one I was least pleased with.

But altogether I have enjoyed all generations of Pokémon hence why I still follow the games each generation over 15 years later!

King Walrus

Finnish Trainer
    Years
  • 1. Gen 3 because it was the first pokemon game I played
    2. Gen 5 because it made me fall in love pokemon again
    3. Gen 4 because it gave some cool evolutions to my favorite pokemons and I really liked the story
    4. Gen 1 because it is not that good if you compare it to other games. Only good thing about it is the sweet sweet nostalgia
    5. Gen 2 because... I dont know, I just didnt like it as much as the others. Its weird because it has the longest post-game an the pokemon were pretty cool.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Gen 2
    Gen 3
    Gen 6
    Gen 1
    Gen 4

Gen 2 was the best, hands down. It did everything right gameplay-wise, and I got the most enjoyment out of it. And on top of that, it's the only gen where there's not a single Mon I dislike.

Gen 3 is a close second. I love how huge Hoenn is--it's like you're never done exploring. I also though the villain story arc was the best. Plus it's the only gen where the legendary Pokemon "felt" legendary. Not sure why, but for some reason I really felt like I was catching a creature of legend.

Gen 6 is really good. Great graphics, and lots of stuff to do besides just train Pokemon. I just wish there was more postgame content and Kalos was bigger.

Gen 1 of course was the very first, and if I were looking through the nostalgia goggles I'd say it was the best. But, there's nothing good that can be said about it that can't also be said of every subsequent Pokemon game.

Gen 4 was ok, but I thought a lot of it was really over the top. DPPt basically made me retire the Pokemon series, but GS/SS brought me back.

Gen 5 was also ok. I'm not sure what it is, but I just didn't like it that much. I think part of it is that it was too dark. And the gameplay is reaaally linear, especially for a Pokemon game. I also have mixed feelings about the Pokemon. It has some of my favorites in the whole franchise (e.g. Hydreigon, Haxorus), but also some of my least favorites (e.g. Stunfisk, Palpitoad).

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gen 2
    Gen 3
    Gen 6
    Gen 1
    Gen 4

Gen 2 was the best, hands down. It did everything right gameplay-wise, and I got the most enjoyment out of it. And on top of that, it's the only gen where there's not a single Mon I dislike.

Gen 3 is a close second. I love how huge Hoenn is--it's like you're never done exploring. I also though the villain story arc was the best. Plus it's the only gen where the legendary Pokemon "felt" legendary. Not sure why, but for some reason I really felt like I was catching a creature of legend.

Gen 6 is really good. Great graphics, and lots of stuff to do besides just train Pokemon. I just wish there was more postgame content and Kalos was bigger.

Gen 1 of course was the very first, and if I were looking through the nostalgia goggles I'd say it was the best. But, there's nothing good that can be said about it that can't also be said of every subsequent Pokemon game.

Gen 4 was ok, but I thought a lot of it was really over the top. DPPt basically made me retire the Pokemon series, but GS/SS brought me back.

Gen 5 was also ok. I'm not sure what it is, but I just didn't like it that much. I think part of it is that it was too dark. And the gameplay is reaaally linear, especially for a Pokemon game. I also have mixed feelings about the Pokemon. It has some of my favorites in the whole franchise (e.g. Hydreigon, Haxorus), but also some of my least favorites (e.g. Stunfisk, Palpitoad).

Yea Gen 5 was boring in my opinion due to the linear gameplay. I recently just restarted my Black and still can't seem to get into it. Thank the lord that Gen 6 was so much better. It saved Pokemon for me. Pokemon for life! :)

Back