• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rank the Generations

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
  • For me:
    06 - I love the new Amie feature, love variety of Pokemon to choose from [X/Y]
    05 - loved the generation - 2nd versions that is, loved the story [B2/W2]
    02 - Loved the Pokemon following, have not finished my game [HG/SS]
    04 - it was OK, just moved a bit slow for me [DPPt]
    01 - it was fun, most of my favorite Pokemon that I use where not on it, struggled to make a team [FR/LG]
    03 - too much water got lost a lot to the point where I lost interest [RSE]

never got a chance to play the originals (RBY or GSC) had to rate them by the 3rd gen and 4th gen remakes

Overall I love the 6th generation the most, many of my favorites are catchable, some early. The 5th generation will always have a special place in my heart (many of my favorite Pokemon are introduced in the 5th gen - it was also the first game I bought with my own hard earned money [B2 was my first game], the game was fun to play)

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • 03 - too much water got lost a lot to the point where I lost interest [RSE]

There is sooooo much water in Hoenn. Literally half the game is in water. But I think that was part of the appeal for me. It makes for like, infinite exploration, in contrast to when you're on land and there's basically just a beaten path from one place to another.

Years
  • Going to try put the entire experience into consideration here.. from least to greatest

- Generation 2 -
    I can mostly narrow it down to one factor. I really did not care for the Art Design in the slightest. Generation 1 was weird and all with their Birds with 3 heads and Tongue Monsters.. but it was kind of established that these creatures existed in some form of Eco-System where they adapted these things for a purpose. When I look at pokemon like Azumarill, and it tells me its some kind of Rabbit.. with a wave pattern and bubbles on it's fur.. its kind of like turning the concept on its head. Its not quite the same thing as before, if that makes any sense. And you only find weird crap like this in Gen 2 Pokemon. The legendary trio are another good example of this. I guess what I'm saying is, its too cartoony looking of all the cartoon critters I've seen.. and not in the good way.

- Generation 1 -
    It's iconic, but it's also the most unbalanced and extremely glitchy if we're talking about the original Generation 1. Psychics killing everything kind of ruins the fun a bit.. And it's not that I'd say the art design is bad, it's got some of my favorites in it.. but its more filled with old redundancies that don't fit in with what Modern Day Pokemon has become.. Kangaskhan babies always hatching with babies of their own in their pouch.. Cubone's apparent endless Orphan-itude.. It was a fun romp, but it wasn't the most thought out.. and generally speaking, thats how first runs usually are.

- Generation 5 -
    It's mostly guilty of one thing that kind of ruins the entire experience with me.. and thats trying to make a Pokemon Story seem epic, and failing miserably at it. I'm a lore guy.. I write my own stories, its one of my passions in life. If you want to create something meaningful and thought provoking, one must first treat their readers and their own story with some amount of respect. Black and White fails to do just that.. and fails HARD at it. I face palm every time N, or Ghetis or Team Plasma show up because they act so ALIEN. I can go on and on about how stupid this game's story is, but I'd be here all day ranting about it like Spoony on Final Fantasy 13.. That being said though, the art design didn't bug me quite as much (Oh noes a Trash Bag and an Ice Cream cone!) and I liked the fact that it featured animated sprites. If this game was a little more self aware at how retarded it was.. it would probably be one of my favorites.. but if I can't stand to listen to it prattle on like it does, then it is what it is.

- Generation 3 -
    To be honest, I don't remember much about this generation, which is probably why I'm putting it here. One of the first things I remembered about generation 3 the first time seeing it was how colorful it was and how much NOT it was like Generation 2.. and I think thats probably why I've taken such a liking to the Art Design. This is what a Pokemon SHOULD look like. That being said, I never finished R/S/E .. and right now I just can't be bothered, so I'll let that slide for now.

- Generation 4 -
    There was a lot of new things in this generation that I liked. Some care was given to some older Pokemon to make them less crappy.. some we weren't really expecting. The art design was passable, the story was interesting enough, and the evil team wasn't as ever present and ridiculous.. well, no more than usual anyway. It did have a lot of filler Pokemon that weren't particularly useful, many of them kind of forgettable. Burmy, I kid you not, is one of many in this generation that I forget ever existed. I'd have to say though, the Legendary guys in this game were some of the most bizarre looking things ever put to paper. But I guess when you're dealing with time and space, you would probably create something completely alien.

- Generation 6 -
    Kind of scratches all the itches. It's a 3d Pokemon game, though the models barely move (hopefully that changes as the games press forward) .. it's got a plethora of back logged old Pokemon from all the previous generations with easy access to your favorites. It's breeding mechanics and EV training mechanics are fleshed out and simple to follow. The story line actually invoked feelings from me, which is a complete first.. a feeling of sympathy every time my rival challenged me and was forced to curb stomp them.. which clearly means they got their act together since Gen 5.. the evil team was hilarious and knew that they were a joke for the most part.. (I only had issue with Team Flare when I had to take them seriously, which was haaarrd) no filler Pokemon, with some hidden gems in Diggersby and Talonflame. Easy access to trade online, a useable GTS .. Totally down with Gen 6.

Last edited:

Lycanroc

under the sun
    Years
  • Generation III
    Generation IV
    Generation VI
    Generation II
    Generation V
    Generation I

Honestly I absolutely love everything and everything (and did I mention everything?) about both Hoenn and Sinnoh. Hoenn is just my all time favorite region. The Johto remakes were awesome, which gave Generation IV a bonus on the list. Generation VI so far is looking amazing, and if those expected R/S/E remakes come out, that'll be enough to send it to the top of the list. Nothing really grabbed my love in Generation II and Generation I. Let's face it, nobody REALLY liked Generation V. (emphasis on really) for... well only a few reasons to be honest. (mostly because the new Pokémon aren't exactly the best... take Trubbish. It's rubbish in more ways than one.) I'll just stop there.

Years
  • Generation III
    Generation IV
    Generation VI
    Generation II
    Generation V
    Generation I

Honestly I absolutely love everything and everything (and did I mention everything?) about both Hoenn and Sinnoh. Hoenn is just my all time favorite region. The Johto remakes were awesome, which gave Generation IV a bonus on the list. Generation VI so far is looking amazing, and if those expected R/S/E remakes come out, that'll be enough to send it to the top of the list. Nothing really grabbed my love in Generation II and Generation I. Let's face it, nobody REALLY liked Generation V. (emphasis on really) for... well only a few reasons to be honest. (mostly because the new Pokémon aren't exactly the best... take Trubbish. It's rubbish in more ways than one.) I'll just stop there.

Yeah I'm trying so hard to enjoy Gen V games, but I can't. I just can't get into the game like I'm having more fun with this playthrough than my last but I still feel like it doesn't compare to any other pokemon game.

Years
  • Rankings in my opinion:

Generation III
    Generation IV
    Generation VI
    Generation I
    Generation II
    Generation V

I love every generation, but Black and White was just.. boring when you finish the fourth gym, the post-game is great though.

Years
  • Gen 3
    Gen 2
    Gen 6
    Gen 1
    Gen 5
    Gen 4

Albeit I did grow up with gen 1, 2 and 3, I really really like this new gen even if it doesn't have that many Pokémon. It was hard deciding if I liked Gen 2 or 3 more though, because I think they both have really cool Pokémon and their respective games really brought something to the table.
    Gen 4 I never liked, too many legendaries and many of the designs are pretty meh. Gen 5 I first didn't like, but I've started to get into it more. It has some of the worst designs and most unappealing Pokémon in any of the gens ever IMO, but I have to say that Oshawott is adorable and the legendaries of gen 5 are REALLY cool.. except the genie trio, ugh.
    Gen 1 is okay, but it has become pretty stale over the years. Still, they are the original 151, so can't ever go wrong with em.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Gen III > Gen VI > Gen II > Gen I > Gen V > Gen IV

Since we're talking generations, I'm trying to include the remakes as well in my ranking.
    Generation three tops the list because Hoenn is my favorite region, and because FRLG are great remakes. Also, the Pokemon introduced in this generation are collectively my favorite. Generation six is next for me. I absolutely love X and Y. The new Pokemon, though few, are high in quality when compared to Gen V, and I honestly can't think of one that I don't like and can't wait to use. Also, the Pokedex in these games seems perfect. It is great having access to older Pokemon that seem almost new when rendered in 3D. Also, Gen VI is also this high because I have high hopes for whatever will come next in this generation! Generation two is my third favorite, because I love Johto and post game Kanto. I enjoy the original GSC more than HGSS because they have higher replay value for me. The levels in the originals don't force me to spend half of my time grinding for Red. Next is Gen I, mainly because RBY are easy and fun to do a quick challenge in, and because it definitely outshines Gen IV and V. Gen V comes next for me. While I enjoy Unova for the most part, it is far to linear to be a realistic and fun region to play in. Although the story in the Unova games is outstanding and fresh, the new Pokemon this generation are just lackluster compared to the Gen VI Pokemon. Sadly, the excess of options in B2/W2 was just too much for me. Gen IV sadly comes in last. While I love Sinnoh, and all of the new Pokemon it offered, these games are just so difficult to play essentially because of the speed. Also, while I love the freshness brought to Johto by HGSS, I still enjoy the originals far better.

Years
  • As I have gotton farther in my second White playthrough I have found myself enjoying it a little bit more. So maybe gen V isn't as bad as I thought :p

It gets worth going through to the end. If there is anything to like BW for, it's the final battles with N and Ghetsis, definitely. But let me ask you this: are you finding it too easy currently? Because some people claim BW are the easiest games yet (either them, their sequels or XY), i've never agreed on that personally.

I need to make my listing here, i'm way overdue for that but haven't really thought about it V_V

Last edited:
    Years
  • I never played Gen 3 or 4 so I can't comment or rank them. So I will rank the others

1st Place : Gen 2 : This for me was the perfect pokemon. It had plenty to do, challenging opponents, a continuation on Kanto as well as giving the other pokemon types a gym. It did everything right.

2nd Place : Gen 6 : I always said I'd return to the series fully once they went 3D. The sheer success of this gen is why. I always knew it would work well

3rd Place : Gen 1 : It was a good game, just not as memorable as Gen 1 or Gen 6

4th Place : Gen 5 : Out of the gens I have played, this one felt the weakest. It wasn't just one thing. It was the whole design. If you look over the generations, you notice that the designs got weirder, wackier and then just over-the-top.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • Much too lazy at the moment to discuss why, but this is my ranking:

1. Generation III
    2. Generation II
    3. Generation I
    4. Generation VI
    5. Generation V
    6. Generation IV

Years
  • 1st. Generation 4: OMG SO MUCH NOSTALGIA!! This was the first pokemon game I played, it was fun, it was easy, and it had some great pokemon.
    2nd. Generation 3: Two words. Mud. Kip.
    3rd. Generation 6: Mahhh Kelfki bring all da boyz to da yard, and dere liek, so oppp.
    4th. Generation 1: Best starters of all time.
    5th. Generation 2: Never was a big fan of gen 2, although the remake for the DS was pretty good.
    Last. Generation 5: Utter complete ****, worst generation by far. All the pokemon were mostly terrible, and dont get me started on ****ing Trubbish and Stunfisk.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • 1] Hoenn [Gen III]: I loved this region, the gameplay. It was the start of a beginning for all of pokemon, introduced improved stats, natures, secret bases, and because I had two GBAs; I could link-cable from FireRed to Sapphire. It was great. :D

2] Sinnoh [Gen IV]: Wow, its been sometime since playing these games, I loved them so much though. Expanded gameplay, the introduction of 3D/2D graphic planes, just showing you how the team at Game Freak are really trying to advance the game's dynamics. Plus, Platinum's music track was some of the best, other than Hoenn's trumpets of the elite four.

3] Kanto [Gen I]: Oh, where it all began. Generation I is my third due it is loving retro era gaming. It never gets old for me, it is still fun to play on GameBoy, GBC, and Emulator. Pikachu, LV 100 FOLLOWER!

4] Johto [Gen II]: I guess its mostly like Generation I, Johto was in my views, an expanded version of Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow. It really enjoy it though, again new dynamics and such. Its music was fun, the storyline was great.

5] Kalos [Gen VI]: I don't know, the story is fine, music is great, but like this and Generation V, the games just don't stick as well. No disrespecting it, Kalos felt like a mix of regions than its own game. It was actually a large mix of regions and cultures.

6] Unova [Gen V]: I have no idea what to say about Unova. It felt more-less like a time-killer til Pokemon X and Y; Black and White were truly strange entries in the series. Black 2 and White 2 were more solid entries in the series, I guess they wanted to redeem themselves.

Years
  • Based on Pokémon design, not on the gameplay which would be stupid. You can't compare a gbc game with a 3ds one. So here it goes:

1. Generation I
    2. Generation II
    3. Generation III
    4. Generation VI
    5. Generation V
    6. Generation IV

I liked the first 3 and the 6th almost equally, 5 was okay and 4 looked really bad imo.

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
  • Based on Pokemon Design:
    Gen I
    Gen III
    Gen VI
    Gen IV
    Gen II
    Gen V

Based on Gameplay:
    Gen III
    Gen IV
    Gen I
    Gen V
    Gen II
    Haven't played X/Y yet, so I don't what the games are like.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • 6] Unova [Gen V]: I have no idea what to say about Unova. It felt more-less like a time-killer til Pokemon X and Y; Black and White were truly strange entries in the series. Black 2 and White 2 were more solid entries in the series, I guess they wanted to redeem themselves.

This. I have no idea what it is, but I totally feel the same way. Unova seems really...dark to me, for some reason. Still, it had some really great Pokemon, and it introduced some really great features like rotation battles and hidden abilities.

Back