• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ranking of Generations.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
  • I am unsure if this have been done before; but if it had been, my apology.

Whilst at that, I would like to know what are everyone's opinions and ranking of your Generations. I'll start off with mine.

No. 6: Generation 5 (Black/ White/ Black 2/ White 2).
    I am not a genwunner, but I absolutely hated this generation and it failed to meet my expectations since I saw leaks and everything. The only good thing from this generation for me are Zorua and Zoroark. Reshiram looks cool, too.

No 5: Generation 1 (Red/ Green/ Blue/ Yellow).
    Yeh, I started off with this; But now that I replayed, I find the storyline not as interesting, of course, we can't expect much from something that happened so long ago, still, compared to the rest, I would have to place it here. I really love the sprites on Yellow version as well as the tagging-along Pikachu, but for the sprites in Red/ Green/ Blue, meh.

No 4: Generation 2 (Gold/ Silver/ Crystal).
    I kind of like this generation as Crystal was the first ever to allow you to choose which gender you are. (Even for guy, I chose to be a female for once back then, despite the embarrassment!) I also like the fact of roaming Pokemon first appearing (The 3 beasts), encountering Ho-Oh and Lugia was fun. Visiting Kanto post-game was an interesting add-on, too! I was disappointed about the fact Cerulean Cave collapsed, and we were no longer able to get another Mewtwo.

No 3: Generation 3 (Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald/ Firered/ Leafgreen).
    Emerald was the best - Rayquaza's showdown with Groudon and Kyogre was one of the best scene I've encounter since generation 1. Also, the changing of bike's mode was kind of fun, too. Mudkip was the best starter! (SO I HERD EUU RIKE MUDKIPZ!) Lati@s were two of the best legendaries to be added on, too! Beauty Contests, anyone? Catching Feebas and evolving it into a Milotic, anyone? And of course, to add on, Firered and Leafgreen allowed the older generations to turn nostalgic again, whilst offering the newer generation a chance to visit the start of Pokemon - Kanto.

No 2: Generation 4 (Diamond/ Pearl/ Platinum/ Heartgold/ Soulsilver).
    Absolutely deserve the #2 place in my heart. My most favourite from Sinnoh was Platinum - Distortion World is out of the world indeed! I love Giratina and Shaymin, and boy, am I glad they got in the same movie! Giratina became first in my most favourite Pokemon list.
    Heartgold and Soulsilver is the main reason why I love this generation. A upgrade version of Gold/ Silver/ Crystal? Checked. Pokemon following you behind? Oh yes I missed that so much considering Yellow is my first Pokemon game! Ho-Oh and Lugia's camos when you go on to battle them was so shiny *___* We also were able to use Celebi to go back into time to fight Giovanni, as well as Spiky-eared Pichu. This generation was always 1st in my heart till now...

No 1: Generation 6 (X/ Y...)
    Of course, I got so excited since they released news on Pokemon X and Y. What more can you say? 3D Pokemon finally after decades! Mega-Evolution was good for me (Though I don't like the name for it!). This generation piled up and fired me up for Pokemon again after I felt so ever disappointed with generation 5. Skating, bicycle, running are made so much easier. We also get introduced to a new Eeveeolution; And a new typing at that! Fairies. I also like how you command "Fly" now.
    If there is a remade to Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald this generation, I guess this generation will certainly remain #1 for a long time.

So how about you?
    Please follow my method in:

No 6: Gen?
    Comment.

No 5: Gen?
    Comment.

No 4: Gen?
    Comment.

No 3: Gen?
    Comment.

No 2: Gen?
    Comment.

No 1: Gen?
    Comment.

Gen?:
    Generation 1 (Red/ Green/ Blue/ Yellow).
    Generation 2 (Gold/ Silver/ Crystal).
    Generation 3 (Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald/ Firered/ Leafgreen).
    Generation 4 (Diamond/ Pearl/ Platinum/ Heartgold/ Soulsilver).
    Generation 5 (Black/ White/ Black 2/ White 2).
    Generation 6 (X/ Y...).

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    No 6: Gen4/Sinnoh.
    Sinnoh had nothing for me. I only liked maybe about 2 Pokemon from the entire Dex, a good portion of them were phoned in, half-asses Mega Evolutions with Electivire and Magmortar. The Gym Leaders were nothing to speak of, (Crasher Wake is like chuck, Maylene is like Jasmine...just uncreative personalities.) And Besides Bertha, the Elite Four weren't that...cool. For lack of a better word. Cynthia was one of the only redeaming factors of the whole Generation because of her amazing and genuinely challenging team.

No 5: Gen 2/Johto
    Don't get me wrong. I love the idea and geography of this game. The first true sequel in it's own right, and the only Pokemon game to ever be ballsy enough to go back and revisit old characters (Gym Leaders.) The only thing is...well...it's Pokemon. For me literally the only cool Pokemon in the entirety of Gold and Silver was Wobbuffet. The Gym leaders and E4 weren't perticularly bad, but they didn't really do anything for me. Karen and Will were annoying, Bruno was chill as always, and Koga was cool to see rank up. BUT. As much as I can kind of say for second gen, the lack of Pokemon I like crippled it in the rankings.

No 4: Gen 5/Unova
    There were a decent chunk of Pokemon I liked from Unova. Ferrothorn, Golurk ect, but everytime I play through it I always think to myself that this game's story and characters are flat and boring. Basically this game would be fine if it wasn't for it's weak story. The wifi options and infrared battles were kinda cool I guess, but in a time where you can already just type in a friend code and find someone that way? seemed a little redundant. Overall poor quality of a game.

No 3: Gen 1/Kanto
    Now we are getting to the good Gens. Gen 1 was of course, what I started on. It's depth of story and amount of Fan lore that has sprung from everything from Lavender town to the Silph co conspiracy, there is just so much stuff happening in Gen 1. And you're at the center of it in an almost believable way. (As much as you can believe that 10 year olds can run around with Charizards.) The Elite Four were Daunting, the Champion twist was awesome with your Rival, overall AMAZING start to a great series.

No 2: Gen 6/Kalos
    Haven't finished playing X and Y yet, but from what I've seen this game has it's crap TOGETHER. The antagonist team is damn near brilliant, the game play and graphics are phenomenal, the attacks FEEL destructive, and you find yourself wanting to actually catch all of the Pokemon, a feeling I've never really had before in a game. Another game to actually have the balls to have an epic twist, and the story feels nice and free flowing. Overall QUALITY comeback.

No 1: Gen 3/Hoenn/Orre
    THIS IS MY GENERATION. When I first REALLY got into Pokemon I got myself a Treeko in Ruby, and here I am now. Literally EVERYTHING about this game is perfect to me. The music, (both Orre and Hoenn) I can and have listen(ed) to for hours. I LOVE the dynamic of two rival teams fighting each other, and you getting all caught up in there. Not to mention the Mt. Chimney battle is one of the hardest Boss fights in Pokehistory IMO. I swear by this game. Seriously, 3RD GEN FOREVER.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    I pretty much have will crowe's ranking and opinions. although i swapped gen1 and gen5

6) Gen4 have nice improvements like physical/special splits. then you have things that completely ruined competitive like stealth rocks and garchomp with yache berry.

5) Gen2 was nice with its long Kanto postgame but the whole game was a easy walkover until Red.

4) Gen1 what can i say its the game that started it all. all the oddities and peculiarities plus nostalgia

3) I would say gen5 is good for BW2 in particular, i still play it a lot and enjoy it immensely. I dislike gen5 starters the most though and some annoyance in the game (like how you can't skip pokewoods first time around every playthrough) brought its ranking down

2) Gen 6 bring many nice features like 3d models in handhelds (finally after the first in stadium 12+ years ago?) super training, pokemon amie etc. Heck with the story actually, i spend most of my time just super training and wonder trading in general.

1) Nevertheless Gen3 is still the game i played most and will remember by. TRUMPETS

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    6. Gen 4: Sinnoh
    Many of the new pokemon I liked from this gen were related to older gen pokemon. Also the region itself didn't excite me much for some reason. The region didn't have many stand out locations in my opinion. I will concede it has one of the better champions though.

5. Gen 1: Kanto
    The region I started with back in pokemon Yellow. Obviously being the first is a great thing...however looking back the layout of the region isn't that exciting. Some of the pokemon aren't very creative either...like Voltorb or Grimer. At least newer gens go a bit further than balls and blobs. That said I do like most of the original pokemon.

4. Gen 6: Kalos
    This is where it gets really difficult since the remaining four are tighter than Sinnoh and Kanto. If it wasn't for the small number of new pokemon and the really easy difficulty the Kalos region could easily have been my number one. So close and yet so far. I enjoyed exploring the region and the pokemon were great overall. I just can't help but feel it had less new pokemon than it should have had and the champion is the weakest champion we've had so far.

3. Gen 2: Johto
    I have fond memories of playing pokemon gold. The region had a really nice traditional countryside vibe to it that I enjoyed and it introduced some great pokemon. Plus it introduced the day/night cycle which was huge and gave us two new types.

2. Gen 5: Unova
    This gen had excitement that hasn't existed since the first games. Having to rely on new pokemon only definitely made for a fresh experience. Contrary to popular opinion I believe it's one of the better gens in terms of pokemon designs. Cofagrigus, Reuniclus, Darmanitan, Scolipede, Conkeldurr, Swanna, Sigilyph, Braviary, Volcarona, Mandibuzz, Excadrill, Krookodile, Accelgor, Gothitelle, Leavanny, Golurk, Haxorus, Serperior, Bisharp, Samurott, Chandelure, are all interesting pokemon designs that really added to the pokemon series. That's not all of them either. The region itself was a bit linear but it was easy to forgive when everything else was so on the money.

1. Gen 3: Hoenn
    For me this is the region where they got almost everything right. The region was interesting to explore and had many unique towns and routes. The pokemon designs introduced this gen are overall my favourite. The difficulty was at a fairly good level and the champion was a challenge and intimidating...like they should be. It also introduced abilities which have made the game more exciting. The main blemish on this gen was the removal of the day/night cycle and also how awkward it was to get every pokemon..but that's not related to the region itself. Overall though I enjoy exploring this tropical region the most out of the six. So it has to be my number one.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • I should probably openly state now that, like most of you, I have loved every single generation so far. I do have my favourites though, and here they are!

No. 6: Generation 1 (Red/ Green/ Blue/ Yellow).
    The first Generation was probably the best start the series could have gotten. A huge variety of species that I love and several that I don't, it deserves credit for being the foundations for a great series. Unfortunately, Generation 1 was incredibly rough compared to the more recent games and looking back I find myself missing all sorts of features that I could find in XY. It makes me realise how important I found the update to split moves from the same type into Physical and Special and how unbalanced the different types were to begin with. Despite still being loved it is certainly my least favourite of the series.

No 5: Generation 2 (Gold/ Silver/ Crystal).
    In my experience, the jump between these two Generations caused the tiniest change in gameplay mechanics when compared to the other Generation jumps. The addition of genders and breeding was all well and good, tied with the expanded Pokédex and two brand new typings, but it still fell flat in a lot of ways that the first Generation did. While Generation 2 is probably the one that makes me feel the most nostalgia of all the Generations (I have many fond memories of my Dragonite) it doesn't fare much better than Generation 1 from a logical perspective.

No 3: Generation 3 (Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald/ Firered/ Leafgreen).
    Generation 3 was a bit of a oddball here and there. The new region was exciting, vibrant and completely different from the more temperate lands experienced in the first two Generations. It brought along Abilities, something really turned the game on its head, and some Pokémon which I absolutely adored. It was also the first time that I felt compelled to beat the evil faction since their goal was so much more aggressive than before. But this is a comparison to the other games and, while better than the first two it still misses out. Its Pokédex never grabbed me quite as it should of which was a real wound.

No 3: Generation 5 (Black/ White/ Black 2/ White 2).
    Pretty, pretty, pretty. It introduced a few new ideas, specifically in movesets and typings. While I disliked that the new Pokédex encouraged offense over defense I did love the new Pokémon introduced. There were lots of them so there's plenty for me to love! It's actually introduced some real loves of mine, but also a few thorough dislikes. Much like Generation 3 it's a mixed bag compared to the other games but certainly not a bad one. It probably had the best story of the games so far with N being a very interesting character. It missed out compared to the next two for the sole reason that I love them so much it hurts.

No 2: Generation 4 (Diamond/ Pearl/ Platinum/ Heartgold/ Soulsilver).
    I've poured my heart and soul into this game more times than I can count. Diamond and Pearl had their issues, yes (primarily with the Pokémon roster available before the Elite Four) but Platinum fixed everything and really took advantage of what made this generation great. Sinnoh is by far my favourite region due to its sheer variation. Swampland, thick forests, haunted houses, mechanical mazes, endless mountain ranges and a winter wonderland in the north? What's not to love! The new Pokémon introduced, specifically the evolutions, brought some new blood to old allies. I've already mentioned how important the split between physical and special attacks was so I'm going to state it again. Thank you, Generation 4, for making Hitmonchan actually be able to take advantage of Fire Punch, Ice Punch and Thunder Punch.

No 1: Generation 6 (X/ Y...)
    Can I really validate putting Generation 6 in the top spot? Probably not, considering I've not even finished yet. Despite that I feel like it's the game that's been dragging me back more and more each day. The region is gorgeous with the new graphics, the roster of Pokémon available to me make me giddy to no end, the introduction of Super Training means I actually have a chance to experience the competitive multiplayer and Amie just makes me squee at the sight of even the most terrifying Pokémon. How could I even forget the Fairy typing? Or the ability to change our appearances!

Yu dun guud, GamFreek.

NavyBlue

Hoenn Lover
    Years
  • 6. Generation 1 - Good, original and all, but it severely lacked some things.
    5. Generation 4 - Eh, I didn't really like any of the pokemon, but the story was OK.
    4. Generation 2 - Johto! Fun to explore! Cool storyline! But I find the next three more thrilling.
    3. Generation 5 - This came neck and neck with Generation 2, but the storyline is more exhilarating, in my opinion (for BW2, that is). Also, better pokemon, I loved Snivy.
    2. Generation 6 - Kalos! SO MANY NEW FEATURES. I LOVE IT. Enough said.
    1. Generation 3 - Emerald was my first game, so I lived the game. I loved the entire thing; they have a lot of my favorite and unique pokemon, as well as a different experience from other regions, story-wise. I will wait 'til the ends of the Earth to get to play it in 3D. But enough about me.

There you have it. :18:

Years
  • Generation rank- 2. 1. 6. 3. 4. 5.

1. Unova
    2. Sinnoh
    3. Kanto
    4. Johto
    5. Hoenn
    6. Kalos

Hoenn>Kalos>Kanto>Johto>Unova>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sinnoh

Seriously, Sinnoh sucks.

• Gen III
    • Gen VI
    • Gen II
    • Gen IV
    • Gen V
    • Gen I
    Hmm... do any of you care to elaborate why your rankings are like that? All of your ranks seem to be in different orders, so it'd be interesting to hear some reasons behind them.

---

As for myself, I'm omitting Generation VI right now, just because I haven't played or followed along enough yet to give it a fair assessment. I'm also going to exclude the remakes, as they aren't quite different enough to seperate them from the originals in my personal rankings.

5. Generation IV (Sinnoh).
    The physical/special split might honestly be my favorite innovation in the games since the beginning, but other than that and about a dozen of the Pokemon, nothing really stood out to me about this generation. I also hated Team Galactic- especially with how ridiculous they're plans were compared to some other evil teams.

4. Generation V (Unova).
    I think that Pokemon tried to create a feeling similar to the start of the franchise by only including Unovan Pokemon in the games, and wiping out a majority of old characters/references from the anime, but it didn't go over quite as well as they'd hoped. It was an interesting experiment, but they seemed to backpedal as the generation went on, bringing back old elements to keep us interested.

3. Generation I (Kanto).
    It's hard to rank this because it was the launch point for the whole franchise, and while I loved everything about the original games and anime, looking back it's starting to show its age. Granted, if it weren't for the first gen I wouldn't care about Pokemon, but I found myself loving the franchise more as time went on.

2. Generation III (Hoenn).
    If I was ranking purely by the games, Hoenn would easily take the spot atop my list. Unfortunately, this was about the time the anime and TCG stopped interesting me, so I all I cared about were the games. That being said, I've never put more time into any other video games than I did with the third generation games, and they showed arguably the most significant jump in technology from the previous gen (X/Y could easily be argued here, though).

1. Generation II (Johto).
    I honestly wish I could put my finger on it, but everything about this generation just seemed to be great to me. I absolutely loved the anime and movies that came out around this time, I was collecting cards in the TCG like crazy, and I was spending hours on end playing my Gold version (which to this day, still hasn't had its battery run out). It also really seemed to flesh out the Pokedex for the first time- not only adding two new types to begin balancing the type chart, but giving evolutions and pre-evolutions to Pokemon we'd all grown familiar with. In hindsight, the games weren't all that more advanced than they're predecessors, but they felt much more complete (aside from places like Viridian Forest and the Pal Park/Safari Zone which were restored in HG/SS).

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • 6th: 4th Gen. I felt that it was very boring, although it did bring in some of my favorite pokemon.

5th: 1st Gen. It did not have much storyline and just was very meh to me. This is probably mainly because I did not know what I was doing when I first played it.

4th: 2nd Gen. was better, but still not the best. It had a lot to do in the games, but I just didn't like it much.

3rd: 6th Gen. This game was great, but it just changed too much from previous generations which I didn't care for. Mainly the lack of pokemon and legendary trio like the Birds, Beasts, and Regis. I also really hated a ton of the old pokemon being in the games. I like to try out the new pokemon, but was slightly harder in this Gen. (However, the Anime is libel to go to my favorite spot.)

2nd: 5th Gen. I love these games. The story was great. I loved most of the pokemon and I loved that they restarted it. This Gen had a lot of pokemon I loved. I loved that they didn't include any old pokemon until after the games and in BW2.

1st: 3rd Gen. I love 3rd Gen the most out of anything. Anime,Games and Movies. I loved them all though it is possible for the 6th Gen to past 3rd Gen in the anime. To me, 3rd Gen was by far the best. Had unique designs. Had great legends. The story line was ok in Ruby and Sapphire, but was great in Emerald. I loved the characters, May and Max, the best out of all the anime side kicks. I just loved Hoenn, simple as that.

Before I get accused of not being there from the start, I was. Blue was my first ever game. I just find the newer stuff better and can accept change.

Last edited:

GryphusHUN

Water-type Champion
    Years
  • Number 6.: Generation 4

Well I'm not a big fan of Sinnoh for soome very strange reason. I mean dont get me wrong Diamond,Pearl and Platinum are a great trio in the franchise but for me actually the story was bad. Many pepole like the creation of the pokemon universe etc. story but I don't.

Number 5.: Generation 5

Oooh Unova, dear Unova, this region was awesome, I liked B/W/B2/W2 the atmosphere the pokemons it was awesome. Many pepole disliked this region beacuse of the pokemon desings but c'mon!

Number 4.: Generation 6

Oh my God, Kalos I can't find words to this generation/region the atmosphere the new Pokemons,the horde battles, the Mega Evolutions OhMyGod, the clothes, the whole Kalos region with it's beauty........

Number 3.: Generation 1

Many pepole will hate me for this but I didn't like Kanto and the whole 1st generation that much. I mean again dont get me wrong the games was awesome but for me this generation wasn't the best.

Number 2.: Generation 2

I love 2nd gen, the new types, 2 regions, 16 badges, rematches this trio (G/S/C) is awesome with big A,W,S,O,M,E. The pokemons, the storyline, the feeling in the end when you beat Red.....

Number 1.: Generation 3

Generation 3,generation 3 oh my lord....... Okay some pepole disliked this generation, but for me Ruby,Saphire,Emerald and FR/LG was the greates adventure of my life. The new pokemons, the story, that whole feel when you see Kyougre and Groudon fighting...... ooh dear Hoenn, dear Hoenn

EDIT:
    ------
    Number 2.: Generation 3

So, before I played Crystal again i tought that 3rd gen is the best.....but i think you can see what's happened. Don't get me wrong,R/S/E is a great Trio,the music,the graphics,the new pokemon,the city's,but somehow, i think that 2nd gen is better

Number 1.: Generation 2

I LOVE DIS S*IT. Yeah, i know that they made a remake in 4th Gen,but for me G/S/C is the best in the pokemon series.Day/Night system,time specific events,2 regions. This generation was AWESOME AS HELL. I really like the two new types which made the series much more balanced.

Last edited:

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    Let me see... If i had to number them;

#6: generation 5 (unova)
    Reason being, the first games of gen 5 were kinda lame, especially since there were no old pokemon. I mean, sure, new pokemon (at time of release); but seeing how there were no old Pokémon was kinda sad. Also, I didn't care for the story. I mean over B/W and B2/W2 it was ok, but not the greatest. Some designs of pokemon were bland too.

#5: Generation 4/Sinnoh
    This gen wasn't all that great either. I liked that it introduced the gts, but there isn't a good story line and way to many legendaries.

#4: Generation 2/ Johto
    Good story but a lot of baby pokemon. I liked that you can travel to Kanto and face Red. There was some pokemon that I didn't like and one in particular that I never found but was native to johto. Good overworld from first gen.

#3: Generation 1/Kanto
    Well, it's generation 1, here it all began and what my child hood is... Kinda. Well it was the first real game I got with my gameboy color. The story(at the time) and was very interesting to catch all the pokemans of the Kanto region.

#2: Generation 6/Kalos
    A good game overall. There were some disappointments, but the franchise has made a big step in the right direction with the whole 3d thing. There is a decent soundtrack and I like how there was 3 separate sections of the dex.

#1: Generation 3/Hoenn
    My favorite generation of Pokémon out of the 6. Decent designs an good region to explore. I don't see why so many people dis on this gen. I mean, come on, every generation has its pros and cons. But this is one of the best that I've played.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • I have to do this by game. There tends to be a lot of conflict in generations (i.e. I hate RSE, D/P, yet really enjoyed FR/LG, Pt/HGSS respectively.)

B2/W2
    >>>>>>
    X/Y
    >>>>>
    FR/LG
    >>
    HG/SS == C
    >
    G/S
    >>>
    Pt == B/W
    Don't care/like the ones below -----------------------
    D/P
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    R/S
    >
    E
    >>>>>
    R/B == Yl

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'll keep it short.

No 6: Gen 5
    Terrible region. Terrible pacing. Terrible roster. Terrible story. NO exploration.
    Absolutely terrible.

No 5: Generation 4
    Great region, bad pacing. All the backtracking ruins it. Not to mention it brought Pokemon to the devil that is 2.5D, bleh.

No 4: Generation 2
    Look past the revolutionary stuff and generation 2 has too many flaws. Unbalanced, terrible level spike and Johto was empty that they relied on a gimped Kanto to compensate for that. Way too many gen 1 Pokemon as well, which is a damn shame because I think generation 2's Pokemon design are arguably the best. It also brought us features like Night/Day system. And the worst roster in the series. Yuck. Regardless of that the simplicity of it still holds well, but it just doesn't hold up compared to the better region. The gap between it and gen 1 is huge in terms of quality imo.

No 3: Generation 1
    Simple, and very effective, Basically what gen 2 is, but without the flaws, and the added stuff but eh. Still has that sense of adventure.

No 2: Generation 6
    Big region, a huge, diverse roster, and the available content is insane. It's paced wonderfully as well, and has the sense of adventure that every Pokemon game SHOULD have.

No 1: Generation 3
    Huge, diverse and interconnected region. Well paced. Diverse roster. 60 frames per second ensuring smoothness. A big sense of adventure and exploration. Emerald is the ultimate Pokemon game.
    Kinda says much about it when the only complaints you hear about it are too much water (something Johto and Sinnoh has) and the usual subjective Pokemon complaints.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    Generation Rank - 6, 1, 3, 2, 4, 5

I seriously like pokemon now because of the graphical update. I like 3d so i go with 6th gen but storywise i like 3rd and 1st more :)

5th gen though... pokemon designs kinda ruined it for me

Years
  • No 6: Gen 4
    The Sinnoh Region didn't grab me like it should have. And Game Freak and Nintendo didn't do a very good job of marketing these games like they have with X and Y. Legendaries were pretty cool but still not the best. I admit that it had one of the most difficult Champions to date. But still, it was just a bit sub-par to me. Platinum was better than Diamond and Pearl I also dislike that they added so many post-evolutions to earlier Gen's Pokemon that didn't need them. Like Magmortar, Electivire, Gallade and Mamoswine are just a few. Probopass and Togekiss are abominations. And don't even get me started on the fact that they gave Dusclops and evolution without giving Banette one. (But Banette got a mega-evolution now so all good) Any way, Sinnoh sucks.

No 5: Gen 2
    No particular reason persay, just didn't enjoy playing through all that much. I did like battling Red though. Also the starters aren't great, they are ok but not the best.

No 4: Gen 5
    Genuinely enjoyable and I love that the sequels were proper sequels (Unlike Emerald/Platinum) The new Pokemon were funn and exciting and I like that they started to play with the camera angles a bit. Some new Pokemon designes were a bit weak (looking at you, Vanilluxe) But overall it was really quite good.

No 3: Gen 1
    Don't get me wrong, I love Gen 1, its so good. Getting all 3 starters in Yellow is like the greatest thing ever, I love it. I love creating Red's Team although it is better in Gen 2 when you can get Espeon. They just lacked a whole heap of functionality that made it actually really hard to play properly (Like the miniature bag, ugh) and there were a few glitches (more than a few) but overall still one of the best Gens by far.

No 2: Gen 6
    Probs haven't played it enough for it to be this high up but I love everything so far. Yes i even love Lumiose City now that i have memorised where everything is... The 3D is quite effective and the storyline and antagonists are fun. I love Team Flare. The starters are great :) and i love that they all have a double type advantage and double weakness to each other. (Protean Froakie FTW though)

No 1: Gen 3 OF COURSE!!!
    What a brilliant generation of gaming. I have exactly 0 bones to pick with Gen III since IMO it was jsut about perfect. I loved the long routes and all the water and i seriously hope we can see it re-made on the 3DS because the Gen 6 water design was so beautiful <3 Gen 3 was lovely and it contained the ultimate starter. Blaziken... what a king. The only starter with enough power to become Uber. I love R/S/E so much it hurts. GIVE US REMAKES!

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Sixth: Generation V

It was incredibly linear and overpolished with graphics, the latter being my favorite part. It was hard for me to want to move forward in the game, because there were next to zero side stories to follow besides the main one – meaning there wasn't enough richness to it. It was very pretty and glamorous, but otherwise uninteresting and unmotivating. Sorry, but you're number 6, Black and White (B2/W2 were better in my opinion, but still last).

Fifth: Generation VI

Maybe I'm just getting a little too old to accept this influx of new Pokémon, new games, new anime seasons, and whatnot every three to four years. Why? To me, it seems like it's the same-old same-old being repackaged and reprinted for a new generation of kids. I probably feel this way because I'm one of the younger people whose favorite generation was Generation III – most of my colleagues are in their twenties, and I really got into Pokémon with Generation IV, honestly. But still, X/Y just seem bland as an upgrade. Just like Gen V, the graphics are a real step forward, but I can't really say that I like this new Generation... yet.

Fourth: Generation I

This debut generation used to be last until Black and White came along. Luckily I have enough nostalgia not to place this one dead last still. As to why it's so unpopular to me, I have to say that it is just incredibly unpolished. The original Red and Green took longer to make than any other games, and were by far the most unappeasing, ugly, and linear games to ever be spat out by Game Freak. While I believe that, I still hold them in high regard because of the foundation they set for the franchise. And while the remakes, FireRed and LeafGreen, still came out very linear (while graphically appeasing), I appreciate the capabilities and options they brought to Ruby and Sapphire. As for the anime, there's a lot of things that were wrong back in the nineties. The 4Kids dub was incredibly biased with the dialogue between Ash and Misty, the graphics and effects were nowhere near as stellar as they were later, and not to mention the immense filler the Johto saga contained. Overall, still better than the new stuff they're pumping out now.

Third: Generation IV

This generation used to come in second for me until I bought a copy of Gold version back at a second-hand store at my local strip mall. The anime was very neat and balanced with the Diamond and Pearl series, and the games brought out a whole slew of opportunities with Wi-Fi capabilities and whatnot. It's still not as good as Generation II though, which I'll explain why later. As to why this is third, I'd have to say as far as the anime was concerned, Dawn wasn't as appealing to me as May and Misty were. Misty had a fiery personality around Ash, and May was just beyond sweet to him (the most important thing for a girl to be). Dawn was just as oblivious to Ash as he was to her, which was particularly uninteresting to me. And with the games, Diamond and Pearl's graphics were very unpolished compared to Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver's 3D graphics.

Second: Generation II

I'd say Generation II is lucky to come in second. Gold and Silver were beyond astounding for what their hardware allowed, and that's why they were better than D/P. The immense side stories in G/S/C, and things such as the berry functionalities, new and improved version-unique sprites, a calendar, radio, handheld town map—it was all heretofore unknown until G/S did it first, which is why they're special. I guess you could say they sort of pioneered the detail that the Pokémon games hold as a sort of trademark. The anime, on the other hand, is a different story. The Johto saga was ridden with useless character-building filler, and contributed little to the progression of the anime. In my honest opinion it was on a nearly equal caliber with the Indigo League in regard of quality, and stood no ground to the beauty of the Advanced and DP sagas.

First: Generation III

Generation III has, does, and always will come in first for me, and there's a whole list of reasons why. First, the games—particularly Emerald—were where I got my start with Pokémon – before I discovered the anime, manga, or anything, there was the third generation games. After I got into Pokémon and discovered the anime, I was really into the Advanced Series, meaning the episodes with May in it. I have to admit, since I was little I've always liked how May acted and behaved around Ash, and she kind of set my desired standard for women. She was nice, caring, pretty, and intelligent. To this day I have only met two women who have met my standard of caliber for those three things, and have come really close to dating them. I guess I could say that May was nice and pretty, which is all I cared about at the time, and the fact that I emulated Ash's behavior as a kid. It was nice while it lasted, and I've sinced moved on from the anime. As far as the games go, I think they have a nice balance of polish and richness that makes any game good. They didn't have stellar graphics, but they were definitely a huge step up from the two-bit and four-bit color that their Game Boy Color predecessors had. The main games' storylines were nice and sweet, and added flavor to the progression of the game in my opinion. Overall, other than the third-Gen manga, there was really little to complain about with this Generation, and even though I didn't grow up with R/S/E, they're still my favorite games by far.

Back