• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rap Music

Years

Today, I heard a rap song with the lyrics of "Come and find me, Nemo". ............. >_>

"Swimmin' in the money; come and find me, nemo."

That's the lyric. Yeah, not the best but it makes sense if you think about it. You're right though, some most of the lyrics are effing retarded.

Ayselipera

Rap is okay. I can listen to it for short amount of time and then I get bored of it. Most of the time the lyrics ruin it for me.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I like Rap. But there are some artists out there are not rappers. I can't stand them. Mostly Lil' Wayne, Souja Boy, Lil' Bootise, Flo-rida(the rapper who sang Dead Alive - "You Spin Me Round"), Lil' Flip, Young Jeezy, Li' Jon, Paul Wall, Young Dro, etc. These guys are not rappers! They can't rap. x.x

I love Old School Rap as well. Back in those days they have meaning. Run DMC, Kurits Blow, Kool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, Salt N' Pepa, MC Lyte, The Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash and The Fabulous Five, Big Daddy Kane, Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff, and many more. Now when Gangster Rap came along...I didn't like it. Still don't like it. But then Puff Daddy(Diddy), Kanye West, Jay-Z, Nas, Missy Elliott, Wu-Tang Clan, Akon, Taib Kawli, Mase, The Game, The Black Eyed Peas, Lupe Fisaco, and Pharrell Willams came along. Now those guys are good. Sometimes I will listen to 2Pac and Biggie. And sometimes Snoop Dogg...not all the time.

What I am trying to say is I am 50/50 over Rap music. Some are pretty good, some are bad. If it has a great beat and their lyrics are great...I don't mind it at all.

Last edited:

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    As someone who listens to music for the feel rather than for the meaning of it, I can easily latch on to rap music. shoot me for all I care. IRONYYY

It's got the best beats these days because it's mainstream. Yes, the lyrics are garbage. The problem I take with people when I argue with them over music is how closed-minded they can be. It's like "I hate this because of the lyrics because they just suck." There are rappers that are actually good (Lupe Fiasco comes to mind) and you can find them if you're that anal about rappers with strong lyrical content.

But to shut out a genre of music simply because you dislike the general basis of it is being closed-minded. It's also, I find, quite inexcusible to simply state one song you like out of a genre (Most of my good friends listen to folk metal and think they're open-minded when they have "Poker Face" or "Hey Ya" or something mainstream, but will have less than 5% of their songs based on that.) Can I argue back? No; I am admittedly just as closed-minded, but for the sake of my own laziness.

If my friends show me something interesting that I like, I'll agree that it's good music. If it's good enough, it goes on my iPod. If it's rap...it's rap.

By the way, "Sexy Chick" is one of my top-played songs on my iPod; the beat is that good, but I honestly thought the same thing; why say "I'm tryin' to find the words to describe this girl without being disrespectful, but damn, girl; damn, you's a sexy b****" to defeat the purpose of your own lyrics?

I personally find rap mysogynistic, homophobic and hedonistic in all senses of each adjective therein. But is it therefore unlistenable? No. I can proudly say I have a lot of "rap" songs on my iPod; some even say the word "fag" in them and I don't take offense because the artist is speaking to a general public and not directly to you; you can only be so butthurt about that. >_>

The difficulty in admitting you like rap is that it's the cool kid music genre. If you go to a traditional high school party, unless you're trying to be different, you're playing top 40, which consists of a lot of rap music. Its fans can be wildly misinterpreted by the rebels of society, simply because it's assumed that people listen to rap simply because it's what the cool kids (or what everyone else) is doing, and if you do it, you're simply being a number and are sacrificing your individuality for attention. It's one of the stupidest forms of peer pressure, but it's a sad truth we of our society have to put up with. People are going to get a read on you based on the genres of music you listen to. Rap, R&B and pop are cool kid genres; rock and jpop/jrock are for nerds, etc. It's not a generalizing statement (i.e. all people who even hear jpop/jrock are nerds), but some people associate genres of music with cliques. It's how it is.

Be open-minded, I say. Diversify your playlist.

But if you're after lyrics, in rap, you're going to have to dig deep. It's a sad truth; rap these days sucks. But then again, so does popular music in general. The business is going downhill and it's easy to figure out why.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    To Me Rap Is Someone's attempt at poetry. It is really bad. However I only like one song with rap in. that is "How Ya Doin'? [Rap Version]" By Cubic U.

Salvation

To be saved.
    Years
    The problem with Rap is that its been falsely identified for 'cool kids' who are 'rebellious' and in general, a problem to society.

You can describe Rap in two ways, "To Me Rap Is Someone's attempt at poetry. It is really bad", or alternatively, it could be "Poetry to a Beat", or defined any ways otherwise, bottom line is rap is stereotyped.

I generally like Rap, I don't mind listening to it and sometimes I deliberately choose to listen Rap over other Genres of music. As said before, there isn't much depth in rap as it goes "pussy x3" and call it their chorus but their is rap that is actually good and well thought out, so like Poetry to a Beat.

If you guys ever take the time to, search up on youtube Unda Control - Magnetic North and tell me, is it really bad rap or is it poetry to a beat?

Im just interested >: lol ^_~

Bobby Emerald

A voice of reason.
    Years
    Rap can also be changed to rape, since it rapes my ears.

I seriously hate rap music by pretty much every rap artist. It's just a weak genre and they even manage to eff up what little talent they think they have. I think I can seriously only say I enjoy Eminem as a rap artist.

I was listening to a song by Akon today (is he rap enough?) and the lyrics were, "I am trying to find the words to describe this girl without being disrespectful, cause she's a sexy b----". Ironically defeating the purpose of being respectful. How is that even worth anyone's time to listen to? That seriously takes no talent.

Akon isn't that great when it comes to rapping.
    I can personally find you some good quality rap music; Jay-Z has plenty of it, for example. Skyzoo has some nice music as well.

Before replying to my comments, make sure your joke sensor is on the "on" position.
    Just saying. :\

I know some people who have used that joke seriously. It's sad. >__>

I do not consider rap music. I think it's just talking very fast and forcefully into a microphone that is most likely broken.

What rap songs have you've been listening to? O.o
    I'm serious. Name them, if you can.

Rapping isn't really a talent. I've never, not once, in my life heard a rapper blow me away with his/her ability to rap. You don't need a good vocal ability to do that (at least I don't think?).

Just because you haven't been blown away doesn't mean that rapping isn't a talent.
    How about you try and freestyle for a minute or two, then you'll know how much talent it takes to rap. :/

I like Rap. But there are some artists out there are not rappers. I can't stand them. Mostly Lil' Wayne, Souja Boy, Lil' Bootise, Flo-rida(the rapper who sang Dead Alive - "You Spin Me Round"), Lil' Flip, Young Jeezy, Li' Jon, Paul Wall, Young Dro, etc. These guys are not rappers! They can't rap. x.x

I love Old School Rap as well. Back in those days they have meaning. Run DMC, Kurits Blow, Kool Moe Dee, LL Cool J, Salt N' Pepa, MC Lyte, The Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash and The Fabulous Five, Big Daddy Kane, Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff, and many more. Now when Gangster Rap came along...I didn't like it. Still don't like it. But then Puff Daddy(Diddy), Kanye West, Jay-Z, Nas, Missy Elliott, Wu-Tang Clan, Akon, Taib Kawli, Mase, The Game, The Black Eyed Peas, Lupe Fisaco, and Pharrell Willams came along. Now those guys are good. Sometimes I will listen to 2Pac and Biggie. And sometimes Snoop Dogg...not all the time.

What I am trying to say is I am 50/50 over Rap music. Some are pretty good, some are bad. If it has a great beat and their lyrics are great...I don't mind it at all.

Now I agree with you, except for the part about Lil' Wayne...now, that guy can rap about almost anything, and make it sound good on a music track. Not that the lyrics are fantastic, but they sound really good when applied to good music tracks(which he usually raps on, imo).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Rap is okay... I mean, I used to listen to it all the time, now it's like... almost never. DEATH CORE/GRIND CORE FOR ME PLZ!

KWolf 2K

Urban Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    I get tired of people claiming that those of us that listen to rap are egotists, and those of us that can rap are untalented, pathetic, etc., and about the worst thing is when people look at me weird for being a whiter-than-white-guy who could rap with the best of them. I'm not saying all rap is good or bad, but way too many people judge with witnessing, if you know what I'm saying.

Truth be told, I think that a lot of the songs that hit top 40 are repetitive of each other. The music can be catchy and upbeat, but that's about it. But many underground artists are clever to say the least. Eminem's lyrics are incredibly creative in their use of pop culture references and language. The group Flipsyde, back with their debut album We the People, were incredible social commentators.

I honestly believe that rap music contains atleast one artist that each person can enjoy, and that's me, but too many people are too stubborn to stop complaining. People claim that enjoying rap is a sign of giving up individuality for being popular, but I see far more people going with the flow of hatin' without a reason.

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
    I just don't like rap. It's not music, it's just telling "yo yo nig--" poems while somebody maybe plays an instrument. Rapcore is alright though, I like a few songs from Zebrahead.

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
    It is very funny to me that people dismiss rap music and its subject matter as "inferior" simply because it is something they personally cannot identify with. Completely disregarding, also, that hip-hop, like other musical genres, is constantly evolving and has artists involved in its movement that push it to new experimental bounds, to places that are intellectual and radical musically and lyrically. Rap covers and always has covered a variety of topics, from politics to the personal. People use it for whatever they need to use it for. It's versatile, it has many branches. Would you say that all rock artists write songs about women and partying just because these were favorite subjects of the Rolling Stones?

You hear many modern mainstream rappers mention girls, cars, money because, well, that's the culture. That's the standard. And, when you think about it, music and many other forms of art have always covered the bases of human desire, no pun intended: sex and violence, pleasure. Classic rock'n'roll songs, after all, are often about no more than dancing and partying and drugs and girls and having fun.

And, of course, some musicians place less value on lyrics than others. Some consider them simply words to play with, to perpetuate the flow of the music while having little semantic meaning. And that's fine, in my opinion. If it's the melody and rhythm you're focusing on communicating through, why would you bother putting some "deep" (did I mention I also don't love when people throw this word around?) meaning in your verses? Especially if your aim is just to get people to dance, which is as noble a goal as any.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I just don't like rap. It's not music, it's just telling "yo yo nig--" poems while somebody maybe plays an instrument. Rapcore is alright though, I like a few songs from Zebrahead.

This is called generalizing. Every song in every genre does not have to have some kind of significant meaning but ther are so many Rap/Hip Hop songs that do. Being close minded will leave you ignorant in the future.

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
    This is called generalizing. Every song in every genre does not have to have some kind of significant meaning but ther are so many Rap/Hip Hop songs that do. Being close minded will leave you ignorant in the future.

Yeah, just realised what I said... I'm really not the one to say anything because I have not listened much rap.

DeeJayFusion

My ROFLcopter goes Soi
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2010
    I love rap, and I do sit around and freesyle with friends. Just because it's fun. Real rapping takes talent. Everyone who said raps has only listened to the radio and said OMG LITTLE WAYNE IZ A HORR1D RAPPER. When actually he's awesome. GO listen to 10,000 Bars. That's insane.

Every single song you've heard is MADE for the radio, so it has a poppy beat and a shallow lyrical execution. Try downloading Tha Carter 3. Listen to songs like, Playing With Fire or Dr. Carter. These songs are lyrical monsters. You might not like the WAY Lil' Wayne does his raps, but you can't deny the content.

Underground/Old Skool rap is where it's at.

Aesop Rock is one of the best rappers I've ever listened to and very few of you could name one of his songs. Go listen to the song "None Shall Pass" that's an exhibit of insane lyrics, insane beat, insane chorus. That song is PURE execution.

Public Enemy is an AWESOME old skool rap ground. Their songs are always about something that actually matters. 911 is a joke deals with the public hate for the police due to the rising police brutality in the 90's. Amazing.

In closing, Rap is not what you hear on the radio. That's pop. The real rap and the good rap. Is stuff you have to search for. You'll never hear something good on the radio with the exception of Jay-Z. Run This Town, and Empire State of Mind are awsome. Hell, T.I. has good radio stuff. Soulja Boy, DJ Unk, Young Joc and the like AREN'T rap. That's horrible pop. Don't say you think rap sucks until you give me a valid reason and not saying things like what you do. How is grindcore or hardcore music. I can scream into a mic too. THAT's not hard. Freestyling for a halfhour straight like Wayne does in 10,000 bars is insane. That's music.

Years
    Every single song you've heard is MADE for the radio, so it has a poppy beat and a shallow lyrical execution. Try downloading Tha Carter 3. Listen to songs like, Playing With Fire or Dr. Carter. These songs are lyrical monsters. You might not like the WAY Lil' Wayne does his raps, but you can't deny the content.

... was Tha Carter III not his worst album (minus Ribirth)? The songs you mentioned are pretty good, but try Tha Carter II if you want his best. Pretty much everything before Tha Carter and after Tha Carter II wasn't that great. 'Pretty much'.

Years
    I'mm amazed at the number of people who seem not to tell the different between rap and hip/hop. Rap is to hip/hop just what distortion is to Heavy Metal, or Japanese to J/Pop. It's just a characteristic. Rap is not a genre of music!

Really, all of you labeling rap with hip/hop stereotyping are just proving how lousily informed you are. You should really back up your opinions with facts, not assumptions.

Here are a few rap examples from the top of my head that simply disprove these prejudices...

Numb by Linkin Park
    Wolf at the Door by Radiohead
    Can't Stop by Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine

So all in all, some of you people just got the worst idea as to what rap is and means. If you're going to yell at hip/hop, please do. But please address it properly.

Bobby Emerald

A voice of reason.
    Years
    I don't listen to them anymore, lol? Forever, Run This Town, Dead and Gone, etc. are just examples.

Okay I tried. And the answer is... not much lol.

I can't even tell if you're joking about that or not. Please tell me that you're not serious. >__>
    And those are...okay examples. Not great, just decent.

Chérri said:
    Anyways I use a bunch of hyperbole in my posts so don't take them that seriously. :[

Well sometimes this ends up being a serious topic.

Back