• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rap Music

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
Years
  • rap doesn't equal hip hop.

Agreed.

Hip hop is definitely one of my favorite genre's, although I can't stand the vast majority of "pop-hop" that is being churned out by these huge music companies. Like most people, I don't enjoy listening to music that is consistently has themes of misogyny, etc., and usually just talks about how much better one artist is over another.

If you want to listen to some good hip hop, definitely check out some underground/lesser known artists. Here are a few of my suggestions (Google them if you're interested):

Immortal Technique
    Rafael Casal
    Atmosphere
    Brother Ali
    Shad

Most of these people have songs that are actually poetic, and deal with real issues, themes, and stories, other than cars, women, and money.

All I'm saying is, don't hate on a genre. It's being closed minded. You can say you personally don't care for a particular genre, but that's all you can say.

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • other than cars, women, and money.

Why aren't cars and money "real" themes or issues, may I ask? :x If they are in your immediate experience and something you are interested in, are they not real to you?

DeeJayFusion

My ROFLcopter goes Soi
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2010

... was Tha Carter III not his worst album (minus Ribirth)? The songs you mentioned are pretty good, but try Tha Carter II if you want his best. Pretty much everything before Tha Carter and after Tha Carter II wasn't that great. 'Pretty much'.
    The Carter III critically was his best.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • Why aren't cars and money "real" themes or issues, may I ask? :x If they are in your immediate experience and something you are interested in, are they not real to you?

I was trying to make the point that the stereotype that those three things are all any hip hop song is about is wrong. Sure, you could have legitimate songs about these things, but a lot of the time there is very little originality in mainstream hip hop.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I'mm amazed at the number of people who seem not to tell the different between rap and hip/hop. Rap is to hip/hop just what distortion is to Heavy Metal, or Japanese to J/Pop. It's just a characteristic. Rap is not a genre of music!

Truthfully, there is not a true difference. Rapper is to Hip Hop as Singer is to R&B. Get it? But I understand ur point. Not all Hip Hop is Rap but is usually like on Itunes is categorized together. The thing is, you cant be Rap without being Hip Hop but you can be Hip Hop without being Rap, like Mary J Blidge, Queen of Hip Hop.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    The thing is, you cant be Rap without being Hip Hop
    Not true. None of Cwtap's examples are hip-hop bands, yet all of the vocalists in those bands are rapping. Rage Against the Machine are metal, not hip-hop.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Not true. None of Cwtap's examples are hip-hop bands, yet all of the vocalists in those bands are rapping. Rage Against the Machine are metal, not hip-hop.

ugh! U got me, but those are even more example of how diverse it is.

DeeJayFusion

My ROFLcopter goes Soi
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2010
    You can be hip hop without rap. but you can't have rap without hip hop

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Alright sweeties, I have said once, and I'll say it again. I listen and I enjoy rap. But not all that mainstream crap you hear on the radio.

I usually listen to old school rappers, southern, underground rappers.

Rap is good, if you listen to the underground stuff, and try to avoid that mainstream industrialized "rap".
    Because 90% of the time, mainstream rap contains the same subject matter that 900+ other songs have already talked about (having money, having women, self-boasting, non-nonsensical gibberish). It's all cookie cutter, no soul.

Now excuse me while I listen to some Z-Ro.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Alright sweeties, I have said once, and I'll say it again. I listen and I enjoy rap. But not all that mainstream crap you hear on the radio.

I usually listen to old school rappers, southern, underground rappers.

Rap is good, if you listen to the underground stuff, and try to avoid that mainstream industrialized "rap".
    Because 90% of the time, mainstream rap contains the same subject matter that 900+ other songs have already talked about (having money, having women, self-boasting, non-nonsensical gibberish). It's all cookie cutter, no soul.

Now excuse me while I listen to some Z-Ro.
    Now that is what I listen to a lot. I listen to some mainstream, but not a lot these days. Old school is where is at. And underground isn't so bad either. I remember The Black Eyed Peas, Taib Kaweli, and OutKast used to be underground. They are not that much anymore, but I still like them. They still don't rap about what other rappers rap about these days. Yes most mainstream rap sounds the same and that is annoying. I remember good old school rap. So I agree of what you are saying. :)

Years
  • I like fast music. Punk, some metal, and not the psychotic kind where it's all just screaming. I like Nirvana, The Used, My Chemical Romance... fast stuff. I'd have to say my favorite rap band would be between Linkin Park and Rage Against the Machine. I also like fast dance music, and if there was rapping in there I'm sure I'd like it. Rap music is alright, they just need to diversify from 'gangsta' rap. Hopefully, eventually, gangsta rap will die off and become the modern day hair metal. Some people listen to it, but are WAY criticized for it.

Back