• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate/Help my Team

Years
  • So I have got into competitive battling for a month or two in the OU tier and I built a team that wins about 25-50% of the time. It kind of works for me but when I lose it make me more unsure if I build a good team. I would like your guys input. Here's what I have.

The Start of Salt (Froslass) @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Cursed Body
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Taunt
    - Spikes
    - Destiny Bond
    - Ice Beam

Barny (Goodra) @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Sap Sipper
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Fire Blast
    - Thunderbolt
    - Muddy Water

Scizorhands (Scizor) @ Scizorite
    Ability: Light Metal
    EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost
    - Bullet Punch
    - Defog

Oh, you wall? (Gothitelle) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Trick
    - Rest
    - Psychic

Floating Keys? (Klefki) @ Light Clay
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Fairy Lock
    - Foul Play

Yes, A Wall... (Chansey) @ Eviolite
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Toxic
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Seismic Toss
    - Heal Bell

If there is anything that you think would make this team better than let me know because I have not been competitively battling for a long time.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • While it's true that Defog is good support, I don't think Swords Dance Scizor has room to fit it in. Instead, I'd go with Knock Off as offensive utility to remove non-Mega Stone items.

IMO, dual screens is better suited for hyper-offensive teams, and this team isn't one. I'd recommend replacing Klefki with Zapdos as the new hazard-clearer:
    -Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Defog
    -Heat Wave/Toxic
    -Roost
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/176 Def/68 SAtk/20 Spe
    Item: Leftovers

or
    -Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Heat Wave/Defog
    -Roost
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/64 Def/180 SDef/16 Spe

Chansey is rather passive and is best suited for pure stall teams, IMO. Clefable is the next-best alternative, as it has some form of offensive presence with STAB Moonblast:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Moonblast
    -Fire Blast/Thunder Wave/Heal Bell
    -Soft-Boiled/Moonlight
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP/172 Def/84 SDef
    Ability: Magic Guard

Years
  • Thanks for suggesting these ideas to me. I have tested it out. It kind of worked but I still lost quite a bit so I think I'm gonna just start from scratch because 1. I have no core. 2. I'm not sure what my team is trying to accomplish. So that is why I'm gonna start from scratch.

Last edited:

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • Thanks for suggesting these ideas to me. I have tested it out. It kind of worked but I still lost quite a bit so I think I'm gonna just start from scratch because 1. I have no core. 2. I'm not sure what my team is trying to accomplish. So that is why I'm gonna start from scratch.

As an Alternative to what PlatinumDude suggested with Clefairy i tend to run this set for Clefairy making it a Toxic Staller:

Clefairy:
    Nature: Calm or Bold
    EV's: 252 HP , 130 Defense 126 Special Defense
    Item: Eviolite/leftovers

Moves: Toxic, Cosmic Power, Moonlight, Stored Power.

Basically this thing is a beast, cannot be affected by HP Status drops, has recovery and with Cosmic power and Eviolite, VERY bulky, Stored power is there to really take advantage of Cosmic powers 2x power up, adding to Stored Powers Power (also to stop being taunt baited). Only thing i'd say is watch out for Gengar as he will wall Clefairy with this set up quite well.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As an Alternative to what PlatinumDude suggested with Clefairy i tend to run this set for Clefairy making it a Toxic Staller:

Clefairy:
    Nature: Calm or Bold
    EV's: 252 HP , 130 Defense 126 Special Defense
    Item: Eviolite/leftovers

Moves: Toxic, Cosmic Power, Moonlight, Stored Power.

Basically this thing is a beast, cannot be affected by HP Status drops, has recovery and with Cosmic power and Eviolite, VERY bulky, Stored power is there to really take advantage of Cosmic powers 2x power up, adding to Stored Powers Power (also to stop being taunt baited). Only thing i'd say is watch out for Gengar as he will wall Clefairy with this set up quite well.
    ...This is an OU team. Clefable completely outclasses Clefairy in this environment. Why, oh why, would you even use Clefairy over Clefable in OU? Clefable has more offensive presence than Clefairy, and Clefairy's Eviolite-boosted bulk isn't enough to save it. That, and this set is walled totally by Dark and Steel Pokemon, especially Bisharp and Heatran. Your set is also passive as all hell, even moreso than Chansey; this set is a massive momentum killer for offensive teams. Besides, there are way more effective Toxic stallers in OU.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Pretty much what PlatinumDude said. There are certain Pokemon that Eviolite works well on, either because they lose a powerful ability when they evolve or because their stat changes in the final evolution stage don't stand up to the 50% boost of an Eviolite.

In Clefairy's case, we see her used a lot in Doubles because she gets Friend Guard, which is tres useful when your mega is on the frail side or weak to common moves and needs a turn of set up. IE, Tyranitar, Charizard X, and Salamence with Dragon Dance, or Scizor with Swords Dance.

I know you're digging the item a lot and playing around with it on different mons, but it's not necessarily a catch all.

Back