• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate mt YGO deck.

Lash

Years
    Total Card Count;- 46

Monster Cards (5 Or more stars);-
    Victory Dragon
    Gearfried The Swordmaster
    Gilford The Lightning
    Summoned Skull
    Blue Eyes White Dragon
    Dark Magician
    Dark Magician Girl
    Red Eyes Black Dragon
    Dark Eradicator Warlock

Monster Cards (4 Or lower);-
    Skilled Dark Magician
    Dark Blade
    Gearfried The Iron Knight
    Obnoxious Celtic Guard
    Mataza The Zapper
    Exarion Universe
    Rare Metal Dragon
    Baby Dragon
    Goddess With The Third Eye
    Little Winguard
    Kuriboh
    Warrior Of Zera
    Insect Knight
    Warrior Lady Of The Wasteland
    D.D. Warrior Lady
    Rocket Warrior
    King Of The Swamp
    Familiar Knight
    Vorse Raider

Spell Cards;-
    The Warrior Returning Alive
    Fusion Gate
    Release Restraint
    Fusion Sword Murasame Blade
    Mystic Box
    Mass Driver
    Fusion Sage
    Tribute To The Doomed
    Lightning Blade
    Pot Of Greed
    Different Dimension Capsule
    Polymerization
    Black Pendant
    Heavy Storm

Trap Cards;-
    Dust Tornado
    Return From The Different Dimension
    Skull Lair
    Call Of The Haunted

Fusion Deck;-
    Black Skull Dragon
    Thousand Dragon

I am thinking of adding another Blue Eyes, to replace another tribute monster, and adding the Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon to my Fusion Deck, and Blue Eyes Shining Dragon to replace another tribute monster card.

Oh boy, a nickel for every time Mass Driver+Skull Lair+Return From The Different Dimension saved me.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    Pretty crappy, no offense. You need to have a theme to play it effectively. Yours is just a deck mixed together. Also, unless you're playing Traditional, you need to remove some of the banned cards.

Lash

Years
    I played with that deck before the Pot Of Greed ban was there; So I have not been able to keep up with the current rules and regulations crap lately.

And I totally took offense to the deck being called crappy insult ;;

I might just go with a Dragon theme :0

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Random cards really won't get you anywhere... you need to think of a specific method to win, then gear your cards towards that. You mentioned the classical skull lair/return combo, which people do use to win. However, they don't rely on the one copy of skull lair and return to do it. We call this deciding on a winning condition.

Assume that Skull lair/return is the winning condition, then our cards should be used to help us in using that winning condition and get to it as soon as we can. We cut out cards that are situational (cards that aren't always helpful, such as blue eyes. If you got no tribute, it's not useful to you in your hand.) and add cards that are relevant and stable. Increasing the amount of skull lair/return can help by increasing the chance to draw them for example... then you can add cards that unload cards to the graveyard faster too so skull lair is certain to have something there to use.

So, you really need to stick with a theme and not just throw random cards in there... random cards take a lot of strange reasoning and so on to work. Pretty sure that with that many situational cards out there, it will not.

There's also card advantage to consider too, which is the concept of using your resources (cards) and destroying the opponent's cards. If I need 2 tributes to bring out blue eyes, then that cost me 2 cards (2 tribute monsters.) That's expensive. If I want to balance out card advantage, blue eyes need to be able to destroy 2 cards from the enemy or deal heavy LP damage in order to balance out all that I invested for this particular monster. Now, in your deck there's no methods to lower that cost, or assist blue eyes to ensure that it will balance out the advantage (for example, lack of monster removal to allow blue eyes to do the 3000 damage direct hit to pay for its cost.)

Plenty of things we need to work on to the point that we should make a new deck after deciding on a theme...

and I explained card advantage in a really crappy manner cause I'm also studying right now, so lol XD;

Lash

Years
    *reads Frostwears post*

I guess that does make sense; Reason why my deck is all mixed up n'crap is because I recently only got back into it XD
    Though I do like making decks with these three kinds of monsters; Warriors, Spellcasters, and Dragons; Though I still fail to make any decks that win due to either random cards I chose and mixed up or main theme. Usually I just go all out in duels, using w/e I got.

I did kind of also notice that I have a kind of high amount of Tribute required monsters; Guess thats a fault of random-decks.

And to the people calling it crappy, please stfu with the, "No offense" comments; I asked you to rate it, not be a mo' critic. I haven't played in awhile, danget :(

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Eh...yeah, let's start by dropping the ones that really have no place whatsoever in a serious deck:

Baby Dragon
    Black Pendant
    Black Skull Dragon
    Dark Blade
    Dark Eradicator Warlock
    Dark Magician Girl
    Exarion Universe
    Familiar Knight
    Fusion Gate
    Gearfried the Swordmaster
    Gilford the Lightning
    Goddess with the Third Eye
    Lightning Blade
    Mass Driver
    Mystic Box
    Rare Metal Dragon
    Red Eyes Black Dragon
    Release Restraint
    Thousand Dragon
    Tribute to the Doomed
    Warrior of Zera

Honestly, a lot of the cards listed here are just plain bad. First off: Thousand Dragon. Do you seriously intend to go through the bother of assembling three specific cards (Baby Dragon, a fusion substitute, and something to fuse with them), all of which are only present in single copies within this deck, just to get out a monster with no effects that can only manage a draw against Jinzo or a Monarch? That, good sir, is disastrous from the vantage point of card advantage, and I assure you that there are easier and far less expensive ways to get far better monsters out there which don't include adding a worthless vanilla to your deck. Second, Release Restraint: does running a card that is only ever useful if you've also managed to draw into that one other card in your deck and gotten it out on the field (And requires you to risk drawing into a third card which is absolutely useless for anything except discard bait until you've drawn into the afforementioned two) sound like a good deal to you? I hope not, because it really, really isn't. The odds of you even pulling this maneuver off against a competent opponent are diminutive, and even if you do the payoff is really nothing to call home about. Familiar Knight is just plain outclassed by Marauding Captain. (Who gives you (and only you) that free summon without needing to suicide into something first and can also help lock down the field if you're running a committed warrior theme), Dark Magician Girl is just a horribly subpar tribute monster who usually gets run over even by non-tribute monsters (Giant Orc, special summoned Cyber Dragon or Commander of the Six Samurai, etc.) and doesn't have any useful abilities to compensate for its pitiful stats, and speaking of horribly subpar tributes: Red Eyes really takes the cake here. A two-tribute vanilla with stats that would be subpar even on a one-tribute vanilla? Uhh...you might want to rethink that choice. Unless you're running B.Chick, there's really no point with this one, and even then Blue-Eyes + Kaibaman basically trumps that combo anyway. And speaking of Blue-Eyes...don't even think about polymerizing for Ultimate, let alone running the basically guaranteed dead draw that is Shining Dragon. The only things Blue-Eyes has going for it are being the strongest vanilla monster in the game and some minor support in the form of Kaibaman and Burst Stream of Destruction, and really; that's not all too hot when one Brain Control, Soul Exchange, Smashing Ground, or one of the countless other monster removal methods can tear down all your hard work. Just assembling three Blue-Eyes in your hand is a futile endeavor (Trust me, I tried that to amuse myself while leveling up in Spirit Caller; not even the most tedious drag-out-the-battle opponents out there allowed me enough time to find all three, let alone something to fuse them with too) and fusing it with Future Fusion + Dragon's Mirror is just pointless since Five-Headed Dragon is a stronger and more flexible choice. :\ Warrior of Zera is really not worth even considering unless you plan to run some obscure deck that exploits Mazera DeVille, because on its own it's nothing but a wimpy vanilla (Basically trumped in every way by Gene-Warped Warwolf, Insect Knight, Gemini Elf, Vorse Raider, Mad Dog of Darkness and countless others). The only thing Rare Metal is good for is really some sort of combo-action with Hidden Soldier or A Rival Appears! (Activating Hidden Soldier and Torrential Tribute in chain is actually a pretty fun maneuver) and even then the benefits are sort of questionable because it's such a low-utility card. Mystic Box and Tribute to the Doomed are both bad for monster removal because they hurt your card advantage (Tribute to the Doomed is two cards from your hand (One for the activation, one being the spell itself) for a single monster on your opponent's field and Mystic Box is even worse because you end up losing a monster from your field. This could be exploited if you had something that you'd like to plant on your opponent's field, but you don't. :\); Smashing Ground, Fissure, Shield Crash, Nobleman of Crossout and Hammer Shot are all superior choices for monster removal. Dark Eradicator Warlock's effect is strong, but you'd really need a deck dedicated to Normal Spells (and capable of playing a lot of them in one go) to make proper use of it; it's definitely not something you can just slap on and expect to have use for. Similarly, Dark Magician just for the sake of Dark Magician (and yes, I know you have skilled but that alone doesn't cut it) just isn't worth the bother. It's a nice choice if you want to fuel Deck Destruction- or Eradicator Epidemic Virus, though. Kuribohs are cool, but only if you have The Flute of Summoning Kuriboh to make them a special summon, which you don't. Finally, Mass Driver is only good for very specific purposes. (Typically in obscured decks like Clockwork where you can prevent yourself from being outdecked (or finish off an opponent who has paid too many LP costs) by tossing Outstanding Dog Maroon at them again and again). As for the rest of the cards on the above list...they're basically all overshadowed by so many better replacements. T_T

But yeah, start by figuring out a clear win condition for your deck and build on that. Also, if you want to run any of those three types you mentioned, try focusing on the good cards among them, stuff like:

Dragon
    Armed Dragon line (Requires a dedicated deck)
    Different Dimension Dragon (Sort of...)
    Exploder Dragon
    Five-Headed Dragon (Basically the reason we want to run dragons in the first place)
    Horus Line (Requires a dedicated deck)
    Masked Dragon
    Spear Dragon
    Twin-Headed Behemoth

Spellcaster
    Apprentice Magician
    Breaker the Magical Warrior (one of the most splashable cards ever printed <3)
    Crystal Seer
    Dark Magician of Chaos
    Magical Marionette
    Magician of Faith
    Old Vindictive Magician
    Royal Magical Library
    Skilled Dark Magician

Warrior
    Amazoness Chain Master
    Amazoness Swordswoman
    Armed Samurai Ben Kei (Requires a dedicated deck)
    Command Knight
    D.D. Assailant
    D.D. Warrior
    D.D. Warrior Lady
    Destiny Hero - Dasher (Requires a dedicated deck)
    Destiny Hero - Diamond Dude (Requires a dedicated deck)
    Destiny Hero - Disc Commander
    Destiny Hero - Malicious
    Exiled Force
    Freed the Matchless General
    Great Shogun Shien (Requires a dedicated deck)
    Marauding Captain
    Six Samurai set
    Spell Striker
    Strike Ninja (Requires a dedicated deck)
    Warrior Lady of the Wastelands

Not at all comprehensive, but all of those should be good. You really need to find a set of cards that work well together, though, and typically this means going outside the boundaries of a specific type. =O Also, you'll typically want to have as many copies of your key cards as the rules allow to maximize your odds of drawing as well as a lot of support cards capable of finding them; the better your deck is at giving you extra draws and searching out specific cards you need the better your chances of winning consistently will be. You'll also want to keep the deck card count as close to the allowed minimum of 40 as possible to maximize the probability of drawing whatever card makes your deck tick (This rests on the simple mathematical fact that the probability of drawing any given card is the number of copies you have in your deck divided by the total number of cards in your deck). As a rule, it should be 40 cards unless you've got a brutally effective search and/or draw engine in there. You might also want to keep count of how many cards of each type (In this case referring to Spell, Trap, or monster; not monster types, though you might also want to distinguish between tributes and non-tributes in the deck) there are within the deck since it's a good way to check if you have a healthy balance between the three (and thus don't run the risk of drawing into hands with only support cards without monsters to support or only monsters with no spells or traps for support). :3

Last edited:

Lash

Years
    Thank you for the useful advice Alter Ego; But here is one question I have.

Where can I find some of those good monsters you mentioned? I have been out of YGO for a damned good amount of time, so I really lost track of what cards could be found in what decks/packs D:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    Well, the only reliable place to get exactly what you want is to find somewhere that sells specific individual cards, but that can be costly. Buying booster packs, on the other hand, could end up costing more or less then that. To be honest, I think the best way to play YGO without going broke is to get yourself a DS and a copy of WC007 or Spirit Caller, the two most recent games. Thanks to the DS's Wi-Fi capability, you'll be able to duel pretty much anyone over teh intarweb. XD

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    I'm 100@ with ACC on this one. I'm totally broke already and I didn't even buy WC2007 until I see it on the used game shelf cause people just wanted the exploder dragon in it. All of my DS games are bought used and 2nd hand, and only then can I barely afford them... Considering how although I'm playing at a place where they took out Bazoo the Soul Eater because they are trying to tempt me to buy real cards, I like how my 29.99 bought me 1600 cards in unlimited amount.

Back