• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate my first competitive team ever!

My God, thanks for all you guys help. I never expected this many people, I'm quite gobsmaked! Now after reading all your advice. I have reconstructed a team with your words of wisdom, tell me what you think of it. BTW, with the suggestions for celebii and Spiritomb, I cant get those for simple reasons. There was never a celebi even in Australia and I cant talk to that many people required to get a Spiritomb.

So down to my team. I've taken your advice and has dropped Blaziken, and I'm considering replacing it for the Donphan set mentioned by Espy. I would really like to keep Weavile and Electivire though, but if its not possible what is the best thing to replace them with?.

I have changed:

Salamence @ Choice Band (Should I replace a move for DDance?)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Adamant
- Dragon Rush
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge

Donphan @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP/188 Atk/122 Def
Nature: Impish (Def+/SAtk-)
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Is it possible to use a different pokemon instead of Donphan as he isn't my favorite pokemon?

I have also changed my Swampet from my offensive set to more defensive:

Swampert @ Leftovers
240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA
Relaxed
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Surf / Roar / Toxic

So thats 3 down.

Now I still have my other 3:

Gengar@Choice Skarf
Timid - 4 HP/ 252 SPA/ 252 SPE
ThunderBolt
Energyball
Shadowball
Focus Blast

Weavile@Focus Sash
Jolly - 40 HP/ 252 ATK/ 216 SPE
IcePunch
Swords Dance
Night Slash
Brick Beak

Electivire@Expertbelt/Lifeorb
Adamant - 6 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE
Crosschop
Earthquake
Icepunch
ThunderPunch

Anything for these pokemon?

I would like this team to be my main team and will be able to verse online and competitions, basically any battle.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    My God, thanks for all you guys help. I never expected this many people, I'm quite gobsmaked! Now after reading all your advice. I have reconstructed a team with your words of wisdom, tell me what you think of it. BTW, with the suggestions for celebii and Spiritomb, I cant get those for simple reasons. There was never a celebi even in Australia and I cant talk to that many people required to get a Spiritomb.

So down to my team. I've taken your advice and has dropped Blaziken, and I'm considering replacing it for the Donphan set mentioned by Espy. I would really like to keep Weavile and Electivire though, but if its not possible what is the best thing to replace them with?.

I have changed:

Salamence @ Choice Band (Should I replace a move for DDance?)
    Adamant
    - Dragon Rush
    - Earthquake
    - Aerial Ace
    - Stone Edge

Weavile@Focus Sash
    Jolly - 40 HP/ 252 ATK/ 216 SPE
    IcePunch
    Swords Dance
    Night Slash
    Brick Beak

Don't use Focus Sash, it's screwed by Sandstorm and the likes.

Anyway, Choice Band limits you to one move, so using DD on Salamence would leave you DD'ing all day. :\

Espy Psyche

General of Pokemon Defender
    Years

I have changed:

Salamence @ Choice Band (Should I replace a move for DDance?) Dragon Dance and CB don't work together, either use Expert Belt and replace AA for DD or keep what you have.
    Adamant
    - Dragon Rush
    - Earthquake
    - Aerial Ace
    - Stone Edge

Donphan @ Leftovers
    EVs: 200 HP/188 Atk/122 Def
    Nature: Impish (Def+/SAtk-)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Shard
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake

Is it possible to use a different pokemon instead of Donphan as he isn't my favorite pokemon? Yeah, there's other spiker/spinners you can use. Forretress or Cloyster could easily replace Donphan.

I have also changed my Swampet from my offensive set to more defensive:

Swampert @ Leftovers
    240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA 52 Atk
    Relaxed
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Beam Punch
    - Stealth Rock
    - Surf Waterfall/ Roar / Toxic

Swampert has more physical firepower than special, so I'd replace some of those special moves with physical and replace your SAtk EVs with Atk so that you can actually hurt more back.

So thats 3 down.

Now I still have my other 3:

Gengar@Choice Skarf Specs
    Timid - 4 HP/ 252 SPA/ 252 SPE
    Thunderbolt
    Energy Ball
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast

Specs > Scarf. Gengar is already at Espeon's level in speed, but it lacks that kind of SAtk (Espeon's max is 394). Specs gives you a desperately needed firepower boost.

Weavile@Focus Sash Focus Sash is OK, also consider Life Orb and Expert Belt.
    Jolly - 40 HP/ 252 ATK/ 216 SPE You need max attack and speed if you ever want to do anything with this. 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP please.
    Ice Punch
    Swords Dance
    Night Slash
    Brick Break

Electivire@Expertbelt/Lifeorb
    Adamant - 6 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE
    Crosschop
    Earthquake
    Icepunch
    ThunderPunch

Anything for these pokemon?

I would like this team to be my main team and will be able to verse online and competitions, basically any battle.

Thanks again!

You really need some kind of anti-special. Otherwise I'll sweep you with something stupid.
    If you want to keep Electivire, I might have you scrap Gengar instead and make Vire mixed.
    Something like so:

Electivire @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
    Nature: Mild (SAtk+/Def-)
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flamethrower

Bring it in and sub up. This protects you from Dugtrio since Focus Punch is an automatic OHKO on 252/252/4 Dugtrio (barely but it still is), and it allows you to get your next shot off. Then just use which ever attack is the most effective. Your main counters are Crescelia and Psychic special Lotus-class tanks like the Gardevoir from my first post. Focus Punch will actually outdamage Thunderbolt against Gardevoir, you won't touch Crescelia no matter what you do. Oh, and you might want to try coming in on Thunder Waves aimed at Sala/Gar/Weavile. That'll give you Motor Drive too.

Since your team has so much physical power on it, Vire only has to wipe out the enemy's physical tank. Since most physical tanks are steel type, Flamethrower will rip them apart. Cloyster dies to Thunderbolt and Leafeon/Tangrowth also die to Flamethrower.

Now you can go with a special wall as your last Pokemon. Personally I'd still recommend my Gardevoir that I posted above, but Crescelia would work too and will lead to less flak aimed at me, so I'll give you a Crescelia to use.

Crescelia @ Leftovers
    EVs: 212 HP / 108 SAtk / 88 Def / 100 SDef (just a rough estimate of the kind of EVs you'd need, feel free to modify this)
    Nature: Calm (SDef+/Atk-)
    - Psychic
    - Charge Beam
    - Moonlight/Rest
    - Thunder Wave

Crescelia can take special hits actually better than Gardevoir straight up (if Garde boosts it's now better). It also counters stuff like Mixape, Mixvire, etc., which rip apart a lot of teams. Thunder Wave also stops sweepers from sweeping by making them slow.

Or you can keep Gengar with the changes I made and then replace Vire with Crescelia/Gardevoir. I generally try to let people keep as many of their chosen Pokemon as I can, it's just how I do things.

Last edited:

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    yeah, as said by sims, vire just... sucks tbh. no matter what set you give it, its still walled badly. :< even vire w/ screech is walled. >_>

Kirioroshi

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2008
    Bulky Starmie! change vire for this and then you could drop donphan...i don't think hes that great, for something else.

if you use starmie and drop donphan and electivire, you could add a bronzong(SDef variant)

i think it looks something like this

Bronzong@leftoviers
    Sassy
    252Hp / 128SDef / 128 Atk (???)
    -GyroBall
    -Hynosis
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake / Reflect / Light Screen

what hidden power does your gengar have?

um another good salamence you could use is the bulky one...

its like something like this

Salamence @ Life Orb or Leftovers
    Jolly
    224Hp / 12 atk / 176Def / 96 Speed?
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Dance
    -Roost

if you can manage to get atleast 2 DD's in, then you could like sweep a whole team.

Espy Psyche

General of Pokemon Defender
    Years
    My intent was to see the team be Salamence/Donphan (or Forry/Cloyster if you prefer)/Gengar/Weavile/Swampert/Gardevoir or Crescelia.

Oh, and with just Dragon Claw and Earthquake on Salamence you get walled to hell by Bronzong. That's why I usually run Fire Fang on mine.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    My intent was to see the team be Salamence/Donphan (or Forry/Cloyster if you prefer)/Gengar/Weavile/Swampert/Gardevoir or Crescelia.

Oh, and with just Dragon Claw and Earthquake on Salamence you get walled to hell by Bronzong. That's why I usually run Fire Fang on mine

Just a note on that, Bulk Mence to designed to switch into Lucario and Heracross, so cant afford Fire Fang >> Roost.

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024

Oh, and with just Dragon Claw and Earthquake on Salamence you get walled to hell by Bronzong. That's why I usually run Fire Fang on mine.

TBH, Mismagius > Gengar and Dugtrio > Weavile. *Shotted.* But seriously, it's true. >=\

Ok guys, I have finally created the team that I would also like to see in action (it is basically the team you mentioned Espy).

Salamence @ Expert Belt
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
    Adamant
    -Dragon Rush
    -Earthquake
    -Aerial Ace / Fire Fang?
    -Stone Edge

Donphan @ Leftovers
    EVs: 200 HP/ 188 Atk / 122 Def
    Impish
    -Rapid Spin
    -Ice Shard
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earthquake

Swampert @ Leftovers
    240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Atk
    Relaxed
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Punch
    -Stealth Rock
    -Waterfall

Gengar @ Choice Specs
    Timid – 4 HP / 252 SPA / 252 SPE ( Would Modest work too?)
    -Thunderbolt
    -Energy Ball
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast

Weavile @ Life Orb/ Expert Belt?
    Jolly – 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    -Ice Punch
    -Swords Dance
    -Night Slash
    -Brick Break

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 212 SDef / 44 SAtk
    Calm
    -Psychic
    -Thunderbolt
    -Calm Mind
    -Wish

Could Focus Blast be replaced for one of the moves?

Now a noobies question. How do keep track of the your EV's obtained through training and where is the best place to EV train?

Thanks again all, I'm looking forward to seeing what this team can do!

Back