• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate my team for otakon... too lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2010
    Well if you saw T-roy 24 we're going to otakon together and i thought i might as well try this as well. My team is very unbalanced but i want suggestions. We normally play with no items but you tell me what you feel is necessary.

All are lvl 100 except Drapion which i plan to level b4 i go.

Magmortar
    Timid Nature,Flame Body
    Attacks-Sunny Day, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Confuse Ray
    He needs work but has 283 sp att and 239 speed so he's pretty quick for a big guy

Shiftry
    Quirky(no stat changes),Chlorophyll(goes great with sunny day)
    Leaf Storm, Fake Out, Razor Leaf, Faint Attack
    A quick Fake Out helps when he comes out and Leaf Storm is just great on power

Manectric
    Quirky, Static
    Thunder, Bite, Quick Attack, Discharge
    I havent bothered teaching him good attacks, id really like to know what i should do with him. 251 speed, quick thunder can normally take out most flying/water types in 1 hit

Garchomp
    Adamant, Sand Veil
    Dragon Rush, Dragon Claw, Dig, Crunch
    Hes fast and a great physical attacker. Needs some bettter moves though. 326 att and 244 speed

Drapion
    Impish, Battle Armor
    Toxic Spikes, Bug Bite, Acupressure, Poison Fang
    Hes new and again not 100 yet but he seems like he'll have great physical defense. Needs some better moves

Swampert
    Docile, Torrent
    Muddy Water(basically surf without hurting my team which i find wonderful), Stealth Rock, Hammer Arm, Earthquake
    He seems ok to me mainly for his 352 health. He takes along time to faint. Overall i just think he comes in handy for his types and what not.

Thank you for your time and hopefully i can get a better team to kick some ass at Otakon with your help

BlueberryYumYum602

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    Is this for in-game or wifi? If it's for in-game then that's fine but for wifi you might wanna think of someone instead of sayy... Shiftry lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2010
    Well I guess I'm gonna use it for wifi but if I get rid of him I need a replacement grass type. I just had him for his types. But do u have any suggestions for a new grass type?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It's for WiFi, they're going to a tournament at Otakon.
    I don't know what the rules of the tournament are though.
    Is it 6 vs. 6? 3 vs. 3?
    Single or double battle?
    Are all legendaries banned or just ubers?
    Are Garchomp and Wobbuffet banned?

Anyways, I'll rate this as a 6 vs. 6 single battle with no legendaries.
    Btw, just wanted to point out that T-Roy's team is really really bad and so is yours.

*Half of your Natures are Bad
    *You don't have any items
    *Your movesets are really bad
    *You didn't even list your Pokemon's EVs

Let's look at your Natures.

Never ever use a Pokemon with a Neutral Nature (a Nature that doesn't boost any stat). This means you should avoid Hardy, Bashful, Serious, Docile, and Quirky natures. Every Pokemon in the game needs a Nature that boosts one of their important stats while lowering their least important stat.

You need to rebreed all your Pokemon that have the natures above (Swampert, Manectric, and Shiftry). But in reality, you only need to rebreed Swampert because Manectric and Shiftry aren't good Pokemon.

If you want to win, use Pokemon that are the best at what they do. Manectric is not the best speedy Electric type and Shiftry is not the best offensive Grass type.

Next lets talk about moves. The most important rule is:

Don't use more than one attacking move of the same type on your Pokemon!
    It's important that your Pokemon have versatile movesets. This lets them handle a variety of different opponents, even ones they are weak against.

For instance, if an opponent sends a Steel type against your Drapion, what can it do? Nothing, because none of Drapion's attacks will do much against a Steel type. If you taught Drapion something that a Steel type doesn't resist, then it would do much better.

Now there are certain exceptions to this rule.

=============================================

Exception #1: Main Move + Priority Move

Infernape @Life Orb
    6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Blaze

-Flare Blitz
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    -Mach Punch

The Infernape set above has two Fighting attacks, Close Combat and Mach Punch. Usually, it will use Close Combat since it's much more powerful than Mach Punch. However, if it meets a faster Pokemon like Weavile, it will use Mach Punch because it's a priority move, meaning it will always go first.

There are lots of other examples like this including Return + Quick Attack, Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch, or Avalanche + Ice Shard.

Exception #2: Pursuit + Dark Attack

Tyranitar @Choice Band
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Sandstream
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd

-Crunch
    -Pursuit
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake

This is similar to exception #1 but it involves Pursuit and another Dark attack on the same set. Pursuit is very unique in that it's normally weak, but if your opponent switches, it will double in power and damage your opponent before it switches out. This makes Pursuit a popular choice for any Dark type with high Attack. But it's usually combined with a more powerful Dark attack in case the opponent doesn't switch.

Exception #3: Move Power Change

Typhlosion @Choice Scarf
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd

-Eruption
    -Fire Blast
    -Focus Blast
    -Hidden Power Ice

The Typhlosion set above has two Fire attacks, Eruption and Fire Blast. Eruption's power is based on how much HP the user has. If the user has full health, it will be very powerful. Typhlosion will use Eruption when it hasn't taken much damage. As soon as its HP drops, Eruption's power will also drop. When this happens, Typhlosion turns to Fire Blast, which has a more consistent power. This also works because its ability, Blaze, powers up Fire attacks when its at low health.

=============================================

Okay, now hopefully you've learned something from that long explanation.

Now lets put a together a decent team. Your current team doesn't stand a chance of winning (unless all your opponents teams are as bad as yours).

Start off with Swampert in the lead. You've wisely taught it Stealth Rock, now give it the following moves so that it looks like this.

Swampert @Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

-Waterfall
    -Earthquake
    -Stealth Rock
    -Roar

Now I told you to replace Manectric because Manectric isn't the best Electric for the Job. A much better Electric is Jolteon, who is faster and more powerful.

Jolteon @Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

-Thunderbolt
    -Shadow Ball
    -Signal Beam
    -Charge Beam

Ah, see? Here's another minor exception to the move rule. Jolteon's main move is Thunderbolt, but it can use Charge Beam to boost its Special Attack since it doesn't learn any other move to boost that stat.

Next up is Shiftry, which should be replaced with Breloom.

Breloom @Toxic Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Poison Heal Ability
    12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd

-Spore
    -Substitute
    -Focus Punch
    -Seed Bomb

Breloom is a fun Pokemon to use if you know how to use it. First, put your opponent to sleep, then use Substitute and finally, Focus Punch to deal major damage.

Magmortar is okay, but still not really the best. Infernape is better.

Infernape @Life Orb
    Naive Nature
    64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spd

-Flamethrower
    -Close Combat
    -Grass Knot
    -Mach Punch/Stone Edge

Now Drapion is a pretty cool Pokemon. Unfortnately, it is also not the best Poison type and it's not the best at physical Defense either.

Use Skarmory, whose Defense stat will make Drapion cry.

Skarmory @Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    252 HP / 64 Atk / 176 Def / 16 Spd

-Brave Bird
    -Spikes
    -Roost
    -Whirlwind

I'm not sure if Garchomp is banned or not, since it's uber. If it isn't, then change its moveset to this:

Garchomp @Yache Berry
    Jolly Nature
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

-Earthquake
    -Outrage
    -Fire Fang
    -Swords Dance

Well, that's a lot to change, but its better to work hard and get good results than not.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2010
    Thanks for the help. I'm sorta new to adjusting my stats so it'll take some time. But I've got like a week until I'm leaving so it's good. Thank you again for your help It seems like I really needed it

Back