• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate my team (so far) + a EV question.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2010
    Alright well, I'm not even done with HeartGold yet but I kind of got an idea of a team I'd like to have later on for online battles.

Please take into account the fact that I am totally new to competitive battle, last time I did a battle was with a friend back when I was maybe 9 with Pokemon Blue.

So that also means I still don't know what their movesets will be and what not.

I was thinking about.

Feraligatr.
    Dragonite.
    Alakazam.
    Ampharos.
    Magmortar.
    With the sixth one open to suggestions as I'm not sure.

So I was kind of wondering if that kind of team could be viable.

Now the question I have about EVs is when to bother starting to train them? From what I can see as soon as you get your pokemon you're basically EV training it by randomly fighting/leveling up so I was wondering, when you level them up do you have to check what you kill for their EVs? or you just start caring about EVs and properly training them once you've hit a high level and you're done with the game and all you have left is online battles?

I'm also not really good with nature and all that so if you guys need the nature of my pokemons then I'll go check.
    javascript:QNSFocus();void(0);

Years
    Your EVs reach 510 and then you can't EV train any more. It's likely that if you've finished the game you've almost maxed your EVs on your Pokemon. You should start EV training as soon as you catch a Pokemon you want to train, and yeah you need to keep track of what you're killing to know what EVs your Pokemon have.

A problem I see with your team is that there are no walls or support Pokemon. Just sweepers. The problem with that is that if your opponent sets up something like a Dragon Dance on Gyarados/Tyranitar/Dragonite or Agility on Metagross/Empoleon, then these Pokemon will just sweep your entire team, because you don't have anything that can take hits, only Pokemon that can deal hits.

Take a look on here. I found it to be very helpful when I was learning about competitive Pokemon.

https://www.arkeis.com/pokemonroles.htm

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks alot to both of you, I'll definitively be checking those links out.

Sorry for the double post but what would be a good ratio of Sweepers/Walls/Supporter?

I'm rebuilding my team and from what I see right now Alakazam would be a special sweeper while dragonite would be a mixed sweeper.

Last edited:
    Years
    A basic team-set-up would look something like this:

1 Lead [Something to set up entry hazards and stop other leads]
    2 Sweepers [At least 1 that can deal special damage and 1 that can deal physical damage]
    2 Walls [1 for taking special hits and 1 for taking physical hits]
    1 Support Pokemon [Something to remove entry hazards, put up Reflect/Light Screen, heal your team, Baton Pass stuff, etc]

Some Pokemon can fill more than 1 of these roles though [Blissey can be used for support and as a special wall]. So you could just be looking for weak spots in your team and trying to find something that covers up those weak spots, or you could have 3 sweepers or 3 walls [1 physical, 1 special, 1 mixed], or you could have additional support Pokemon to fill different support roles. It really depends more on what Pokemon you already have.

Alakazam and Dragonite are good choices for sweepers as far as I can see.

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
    Years
    If you really want, you can use any pokemon and make it work.

Here is a good place where you can research what different pokemon's options are for movesets & roles

Here is a good place for explanations on natures

Good luck!

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Sorry for the double post but what would be a good ratio of Sweepers/Walls/Supporter?

Doesnt matter honestly, this train of thought restricts you greatly. Use Pokemon that fit your team and synergy and at the same time contribute to your overall strategy.

Teams can have anything from 6 walls (stall) to 0 walls (Heavy Offense) or any inbetween. Same with the other roles you named. Just don't let roles overtake what you're trying to accomplish with your team basically. Minimum you want though is something to set up Stealth Rock.

Back