• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rats breathe air from lungs grown in lab

Druid

she's not anyone...
Years
  • Twenty years ago, this type of thing was science fiction. It's amazing how far we've come in medical technology in such a short time... As long as this gets enough research funding to continue, the face of the organ implant industry could be lifted and replaced with one grown in a lab.

Awesome.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • Stupid animal testing. poor rats don't even have a say in whether they want people to mess with their lives or not! grrr ahem, my personal feelings aside, in years to come if i get lung cancer, this will be very helpful to me.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • It's great to see development like this. It's truly amazing what the human race seems to be capable of doing.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    This certainly is interesting. And I do feel it's a great step for tackling otherwise life threatening conditions, however we have to ask ourselves when enough is enough and when we're doing enough or playing God. We need to be careful with how far we allow this to go.

Helena

Perverted Dude?
    Years
  • Just a few more decades before humans can find a way to be immortal...

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Just a few more decades before humans can find a way to be immortal...

It's things like that I'm against, we need to draw a line. Man may or may not of made God(s), but that doesn't give him the right to act like one.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • It's great to see development like this. It's truly amazing what the human race seems to be capable of doing.

True true true!!

I marvel at what we, as a race, have achieved and are capable of. Kidney failure? No problem, have this false one! Lungs collapsed? Have some of these, we grew them in a lab!

What next?!

PrinceBlackheart

Taking Revenge on Dusknior
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2010
    thats cool.I mean if you just think about what humans have accomplished and now this!Thats incredible.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    True true true!!

I marvel at what we, as a race, have achieved and are capable of. Kidney failure? No problem, have this false one! Lungs collapsed? Have some of these, we grew them in a lab!

What next?!

There's always the problem that our bodies may reject these artifical counterparts. However hopefully this will flourish into a replacement for the doner system(s)

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    The progress that is being made is simply quite amazing. However, we will eventually go too far. Could you imagine us making a thing that revives the dead? Maybe Hitler won't come back, but future extremists could :/. Hopefully, we won't be able to do that/someone will realize how much of a bad idea it is before it gets too extreme.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • There's always the problem that our bodies may reject these artifical counterparts. However hopefully this will flourish into a replacement for the doner system(s)

Like what happened in an experiment many years back. They tried to transfuse blood from a donor to a recipient, not knowing that blood has it's specific type depending on the proteins. The recipient died of course :)

Anyway I hope they can really test it in humans safely and effectively, since we are now technologically advanced(but not really!). Not just lab rats.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Wow. This is amazing. A lot of people can get the help they need now.

But, people will be living longer with these new things, which might lead to overpopulation. Thats the thing I'm worried about :/

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I have mixed opinions about this. One of the pros in this are that it could be a solution for lung cancer. A person suffering from Asthma or Bronchiectasis could finally start a new life without anything chronic holding them back. People with lung problems can finally participate in sports or other extracurricular activities.

However, things like this always come with a con. I have a feeling that if becomes successful, this could be used in the wrong way. One of the main reasons a smoker stops smoking is the fear of dying from lung cancer. With the chance of getting new lungs available, they could just replace their old lungs with new ones while still continuing their path of smoking. This operation might cost a lot of money, but some people are crazy enough to do it just for smoking.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Hooray, smoking rats' lives saved by manmade lungs. How about we try that for all their lifetime instead of 2 hours? Not too impressive at this point

Just a few more decades before humans can find a way to be immortal...

One of the reasons why I like biotech is the benefits, however, just not that, so no ****ing way I'll be studying that stuff. It's too hard and my intelligence could bring that day closer :P

Instead, we need ways to take care of overpopulation. Either we spend more on NASA to colonize Mars or we declare Nuclear warfare on Africa. I think the choice is obvious. Screw biotech right now.

Last edited:
    Back