• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen RBY/GSC Team Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I told someone to come to this thread for help with his team, only to realize it didn't exist. I'd hate to add another sticky to the already large number, but hey. Even the old games could use one of these, too. So, if you need help with a team on the classics, post here and someone will help you out. Just remember to follow all PC rules and stuff. Yes yes.

Remember, this is for Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal. None of that new fangled stuff. :P

Zirkle38

Insert Epithet.
    Years
    I guess I'm the only one who's playing the old (and best) games that isn't already a pro? Anyways, I'm playing Crystal right now and I can't really decide on a water pokemon. I was thinking Quagsire, but I don't know when one of those will show up, and I don't want to be so far into the game where it'd be difficult parting with my second-rate water pokemon, because of nostalgia or all the work I've put into him. Right now I have a psyduck, because of Golduck's beasty-ness and psychic attacks without having to get rid of one of one of my main's for a psychic less than Mewtwo, or someone else uber. I'd happily take suggestions on any other water pokemon. And psychic pokemon. Well, my party in general, thanks (:​

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
    Personally, I like Lapras as a water pokemon as it can learn many different moves and has very strong statistics. Also, remember that you will be given the opportunity to catch a Suicune so, if you want, you can wait and use that as your water pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    You can get Wooper just before entering Union Cave. I'm raising one on Crystal right now. But if you want to wait til Lapras is available, that's another good Pokemon to have. Vaporeon ain't too shabby either, and there's always Lanturn and Octillery. Many options for water Pokemon.

Zirkle38

Insert Epithet.
    Years
    Oh yeah, duh. I was mainly just concerned about the when, and I totally forgot wooper evolved into Quagsire. Thanks!
    Oh, but what do you think about Poliwag, after it's been evolved and beefed up? It doesn't have the ground type advantage quagsire has, but probably a better offense pokemon then defense, which is what I've always thought of Quagsire.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Personally, I like Slowbro :3 But since you have a psyduck you don't need another water/psychic pokemon. Poliwag is ok if you want a fighting pokemon, but he is more weak to alot of other types. Quagsire on the other hand has decent stats. The only thing you have to worry 'bout him is his 4x weakness to grass types. :)

Zirkle38

Insert Epithet.
    Years
    Ahhh, thanks. A bunch. Not very many gyms/elite four members use very many grass types, so I'm good with a Quagsire and Typhlosion (:
    And I perfer Slowbro to to Psyduck, actually. But I manage to get an Espeon, so I'm good with Psychics. Thanks again!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Sweet. So I was wondering if I should keep training my Zuzu(zubat) until he turns into a crobat. But Iunno what moves I should train him... I've always used a pidgey before, but I wanted to try zubat this time. any suggestions? (I have silver, no trading)

Dempa

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I'm thinking of doing a run on Pokemon Yellow with just one Pokemon. I want the Pokemon to be obtainable before Pewter City.

I was just wondering what you guys think would be a good Pokemon and moveset to complete the game?

I know it's gonna be difficult but that's how I want it :).

Tox

fight me
    Years
    I'm thinking of doing a run on Pokemon Yellow with just one Pokemon. I want the Pokemon to be obtainable before Pewter City.

I was just wondering what you guys think would be a good Pokemon and moveset to complete the game?

I know it's gonna be difficult but that's how I want it :).

Well, I think it could be a lot of fun to use a Mankey or possibly a Nidoran. They're both really cool Pokémon. I'm not really sure on movesets yet. Are you going to have HM Slaves or use your main Pokémon? You'll need Cut, Surf and Strength. You could get away without Flash and Fly though.

Dempa

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Well, I think it could be a lot of fun to use a Mankey or possibly a Nidoran. They're both really cool Pokémon. I'm not really sure on movesets yet. Are you going to have HM Slaves or use your main Pokémon? You'll need Cut, Surf and Strength. You could get away without Flash and Fly though.

Yes I'll be having some HM Slaves in my party, however many I need.
    I was actually thinking of doing a run with Nidoran (Male) or Mankey.
    If someone could provide me with a decent moveset on either of them I'll get started straight away.

I'm still open to more suggestions but :)

EDIT: I plan on evolving the pokemon to the final evolution, not just keeping it at the first.

Last edited:

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
    I would definitely choose Nidoking. It learns many more moves and I personally think that it is a much stronger Pokemon.
    My preferred moveset would be:
    Nidoking:
    Surf
    Ice Beam/Blizzard
    Fire Blast
    Earthquake
    Sweet. So I was wondering if I should keep training my Zuzu(zubat) until he turns into a crobat. But Iunno what moves I should train him... I've always used a pidgey before, but I wanted to try zubat this time. any suggestions? (I have silver, no trading)

A Crobat can be a very good Pokemon if raised properly.
    IMO The best Crobat moveset:
    Bite
    Fly/Wing Attack
    Steel Wing
    Confuse Ray/Toxic

Zirkle38

Insert Epithet.
    Years
    Hyashi_san - I'd use Zubat over Pidgey. Not that I don't absolutely love my Pidgeot, I just think that a flying/steel or dark or poison or whatever crobat is, would be better than a flying/normal. Not that I'm bashing normals, either, I luffs them, but you can always incorporate that somewhere else in your team ;)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Anyone know a good set for Nidorina for Crystal? No, I'm not evolving it either. Right now, she has Poison Sting, Tackle, Growl (ugh), and Scratch.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
    Sydian, how about trying something like this?:
    - Thunderbolt / Thunder
    - Ice Beam / Blizzard
    - Return / Headbutt / Take Down
    - Toxic / Hidden Power (if you can get a decent type and a good powered one)

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    (Ruby) Vital Question about a TM

I earned 'Dig' already, and for some dumb reason, deleted it. I guess I figured I only needed it for the desert and so when my bag got full, I got rid of it. Now I'm trying to get through the underwater portion of the game. As you can imagine, it is difficult to get treasures on the ocean floor without dig. (At least I'm guessing that's how you do it!) And since I need to figure out how to open the gym doors for my badges in the Fortree City, Lilycove City, and Sootopolis City, I'm thinking I may need to get this TM back somehow. I already checked the Department store and they don't sell it there. Is there anyway to get this back? Please assist! Thanks so much. :-)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    This is the Metal/Color generation team help thread. You should be asking this in the RSE/FRLG simple Q&A. Either way, we're here now so I might as well answer. No, you can't get Dig back as a TM. If I recall, Sandshrew learns Dig at level 21 (might be 25, I haven't raised on in a long time). You'll have to go catch one of them and train it up. And you don't necessarily need Dig to complete the game; it wouldn't be just a TM if that were the case.

Sydian, how about trying something like this?:
    - Thunderbolt / Thunder
    - Ice Beam / Blizzard
    - Return / Headbutt / Take Down
    - Toxic / Hidden Power (if you can get a decent type and a good powered one)

Sounds good to me. :P Thanks! Even though that's not the best Rina set, just for the nostalgia of everyone loading their Pokemon with crazy attacks like that, I think I will try this set, or something similar.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back