• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Re-Typing Pokemon - Which Pokemon Should be Re-Typed?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    I've been thinking about the re-typing that has been going on with Fairy type (Marill, Gardevoir, Jigglypuff, and others), and my mind wandered to some other Pokemon.

Most prominently, I think Wailord should be Water / Flying. He is based on a blimp, and at 47' long and 800~lbs, he is less dense than air. He could not possibly dive under water unless he filled his body with water, at which point he would become exponentially more heavy.

Are there any Pokemon you can think of that should be re-typed in gen 6? Fairy or otherwise?

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    I got one, Yanmega

Re-Typing Pokemon - Which Pokemon Should be Re-Typed?

Change it to Bug/Dragon, seriously is a DRAGONfly! It doesn't matter if it doesn't look like a dragon, look at Vibrava.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2018

Torkoal should either be Fire/Rock or Fire/Bug. If shuckle can be Bug/Rock, then why isn't Torkoal?v

I personally always felt that Dragonite should have been Dragon only. But I guess they added Flying to make its great stats have a disadvantage?

Audino hasn't been named a new fairy type yet? Shocking.

Beheeyem should be Psychic/Steel. The design speaks for itself.

Maractus should be Grass/Fairy. It seems like a fairy (to me).

If cofagrigus' eyes don't say 'dark' to you, then what does?
    Dark/Ghost. Since fairy ---> dark, it shouldn't be too overpowered.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014

Torkoal should either be Fire/Rock or Fire/Bug. If shuckle can be Bug/Rock, then why isn't Torkoal?v

I personally always felt that Dragonite should have been Dragon only. But I guess they added Flying to make its great stats have a disadvantage?

Audino hasn't been named a new fairy type yet? Shocking.

Beheeyem should be Psychic/Steel. The design speaks for itself.

Maractus should be Grass/Fairy. It seems like a fairy (to me).

I think the reason why Dragonite is Dragon / Flying is more because its line were the only dragons in gen 1, and Dragonite was the only Dragon with wings. It just made sense at that time. Nowadays, they would probably have typed it differently, but I doubt it will be re-typed.

I like your list overall though.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I'm against retyping unless absolutely necessary. Like, in GSC Magnemite was clearly made of steel, so it deserved to gain a Steel-type, which vastly improved it and set it apart from other Electric Pokémon. With the Fairy type, I would only give this type to Pokémon like Clefairy and Chansey, who actually look like fairies. I wouldn't even have given Azumarill the Fairy-type, IMO it was a weird decision because it doesn't have much to do with a fairy besides looking cute.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I've been thinking about the re-typing that has been going on with Fairy type (Marill, Gardevoir, Jigglypuff, and others), and my mind wandered to some other Pokemon.

Most prominently, I think Wailord should be Water / Flying. He is based on a blimp, and at 47' long and 800~lbs, he is less dense than air. He could not possibly dive under water unless he filled his body with water, at which point he would become exponentially more heavy.

Are there any Pokemon you can think of that should be re-typed in gen 6? Fairy or otherwise?

Wailord being Water/Flying would make sense, but (from my experience) it typically gets one-hit KO'd by Thunderbolt/Electric-type moves; Water/Flying would make that feat even more ridiculously easy than it already is. While Wailord (seemingly) has a lot of bulk, that wouldn't be enough to offset such a quadruple weakness.

I'm surprised that I've been battling against Wailord all this time and I never knew what its Abilities were. XD (I knew Wailmer has the Oblivious Ability, though). I kind of like the concept of Oblivious as an Ability (honestly, doesn't Wailord look rather cute, though? There's uglier Pokemon... XD), but it seems more situational since it's dependent on infatuation/the move Attract. Water Veil kind of makes sense (as an Ability although I doubt Wailord would be burned often as it's a Water-type and has the HP to help as a buffer, and I'd imagine most Wailord would be Special Attackers anyway and thus would not be harmed severely by Burn's attack reduction)... I don't really see why it got Pressure as an Ability...it works great for bulky Pokemon, but Wailord's 'high' HP doesn't seem to be helping it much and neither are its defenses good to help it last long. I kind of want to bump its base HP stat a bit higher... (it's weird, Electric moves practically 1HKO Wailord; and you can usually 2HKO it otherwise unless it uses Chesto Berry/Rest)... Anyway, I think Wailord should stay as monotype Water; it has enough troubles as it is surviving despite its moderately high base HP stat.
    Maybe Levitate could be used as a future Ability/Hidden Ability to convey the blimp aspect a bit better (and at least reduce its troubles from Ground-type moves). Or at least give it Bounce/Fly! XD

Off the top of my head:
    Blastoise
    Needs a re-typing from Water to Water/Steel. I mean, it has 2 metallic back-mounted cannons coupled with a sturdy shell for defense (and Mega Blastoise has 3 cannons and 3 'shells', making the omission glaringly worse)! How does the penguin Empoleon become Water/Steel yet a turtle/tortoise/"shellfish Pokemon"/whatever that possesses proper defenses doesn't? It would also help Blastoise survive a bit more, I would think.

Raichu (Mega Raichu)
    If Raichu gains a Mega Evolution, I would love to see it transition from monotype Electric to Electric/Fairy, simply because the Pikachu line is in the Fairy Egg group (and since Pikachu is all important and all, why not let it be a heralded/purported 'Dragon Slayer' like the other Fairy-type Pokemon?). It would give Raichu some more attacking options, at least.

Magmortar/Electivire
    Not really important, but seem they seem so inclined towards the Fighting-type, they might as well be Fire/Fighting and Electric/Fighting, respectively (which also helps to parallel their icy counterpart a bit, the Ice/Psychic Jynx).

Dunsparce (Mega Dunsparce)
    If it gains a Mega Evolution, I would love to see it change from Normal to Normal/Dragon, simply because of Rule of Cool (and its serpentine design lends itself to a draconic transformation as well).

Suicune
    Not nearly as important as the other re-typings mentioned here, but Water to Water/Ice wouldn't hurt, especially since it can be viewed as an Expy (in terms of legends, at least) of Kanto's Articuno.

Lugia
    Needs to be re-typed from Psychic/Flying to either Water/Flying or Water/Dragon. With Water/Flying (although it would make sense and its my preferred choice, I really hate its quadruple weakness because, GYARADOS, and a lot of Pokemon are like "LOL Thunderbolt"), it would have a quadruple Electric-type weakness to match its counterpart Ho-Oh's quadruple Rock-type weakness. And what kind of Pokemon bears the moniker of "guardian of the seas" yet isn't even Water type? -_- Lugia looks somewhat draconic, so Water/Dragon could work as well (although I've heard it's a bit bulky, so I'm not sure if this re-type would make it "broken" or not). :/ In any case, Lugia should still be allowed to learn whatever Psychic-type moves it does now.

Groudon
    Not really important, but Ground to Ground/Fire (I mean, come on, who didn't think it was a Fire-type when they first saw it, with all the flames and sunlight and lava spewing about?) would be nice (although that would mean a quadruple weakness to the Water type and especially to Kyogre, which I'm not too fond about).

Kyogre
    Not really important, but Water to Water/Ice would be nice, especially since it embodies the seas (which are full of water), and there are icy bodies of water (not to mention that ice is a form of water)... Coupled with a potential Ground/Fire Groudon, this would mean that all of the Weather Trio would 'match' as all the members would be dual-typed.

Empoleon
    I really would not mind it at all if it was re-typed from Water/Steel to monotype Water (which would make Blastoise more unique in the process!); although as long as Blastoise receives Water/Steel, Empoleon can keep the same typing for all I care. Admittedly, the Water/Steel typing alone intrigued me when I first read about it, and a metallic penguin does have a little appeal (although it really doesn't make much sense when a penguin has better defensive typing than an armored turtle with cannons).

Rotom (all Formes except "Normal Forme")
    All of them need to be re-typed from Electric/whatever to whatever/Ghost (or my 2nd choice, whatever/Steel). As shown by their various "pseudo-signature moves", they're differentiated by their attacking elements (corresponding to whatever their design is). I guess the "Electric" is because they gain a 'physical' form by inhabiting functional machines - although, if you think about it, shouldn't that mean they should be part-Steel-type since most machinery contains metallic components? I still see the "Rotom taking control of an applicance" as an ethereal entity, and only Rotom Normal Forme seems like a pure bundle of electricity.

*Coincidentally, Rotom is the one Pokemon that gives me hope that ANY Pokemon can receive an outright re-type later on in a subsequent generation, whether it be the immediate next generation or decades later.

Darkrai
    It looks more phantasmal than "dark", so being changed from Dark to Dark/Ghost would make sense in my opinion (although from what I've read, this guy seems already tough to beat as is...).

Samurott
    Needs a re-typing from Water to Water/Fighting. It's a samurai Pokemon, using shell-based sword-shaped implements for attacking. Samurai fight (usually)! Not that hard! This one especially annoys me since we have a good number of pure Water Pokemon, few Water/Fighting Pokemon, and Samurott's "samurai" origin is a key part of its design (it's been heavily talked about/referenced, at least).

Serperior
    Needs a re-typing from Grass to Grass/Dragon. Originally, I wanted Grass/Dragon for Sceptile since it learns a nice number of Dragon-type moves and is in the Dragon Egg group, but Serperior fits the 'serpentine dragon' aspect better. Not to mention that it receives some level of esteem (literally, as its name and design/design origin reference royalty; and figuratively, as it's a starter Pokemon (well-known just for that element alone) and its pre-evolution Snivy unexpectedly received a surge in fan and memetic popularity following its reveal).
    Additionally, the Dragon type hasn't been used on a starter Pokemon before (if a starter's evolution can receive the competitively-awesome Steel type, I see no reason why Dragon needs to be 'banned' as a type applied to starter Pokemon. Plus, Serperior would have a quadruple Ice weakness to help balance, like most of the Dragon-type 'pseudo-legendaries' do. Moreover, awesome/competitively-good typings essentially mean nothing if the Pokemon in question doesn't have the stats to back it up. Finally, the Dragon type as a whole has been nerfed in Generation 6, so there's that). Also, Grass/Dragon hasn't been used as a type combination before, and it would be a prime place to introduce it (Serperior learns a few Dragon-dedicated moves like Dragon Tail, Dragon Pulse, and Outrage anyway, which most Grass-types don't do).

Accelgor
    It looks ghostly with its lost shell and its tattered rags and such, and its counterpart Escavalier gets a dual typing of Bug/Steel, so Accelgor changing from Bug to Bug/Ghost would work nicely IMO.

Haxorus
    Monotype Dragon is great, but I originally envisioned it as Dragon/Bug, because it looks so insectlike! Flygon and Yanmega are also good candidates for the Dragon/Bug typing, both being somewhat dragonfly-based, though I rather like how Flygon's Ground/Dragon type combination and Levitate Ability play with you a bit. :P Yanmega being Bug/Dragon with the Ability Levitate would be ideal, considering that we have hiveloads of Bug/Flying Pokemon already.

~Braviary
    Originally I wanted this bird Pokemon to be Fighting/Flying since it has a strong courage/combat motif and we already have so many Normal/Flying birds, but I'm strangely content with its current typing. At least Smogon's Fakemon of Tomahawk satisfies this typing for now...
    ...Now that I'm seeing it, Fighting/Flying (as Fighting-type is seen as more 'honorable' than the Dark-type, which uses 'cheap tactics' along with the tangible 'dark element' to win battles) would've worked as a nice complement to the Dark/Flying Mandibuzz...

~Sylveon
    Originally, I wanted it to be Flying-type due to "sylv-" reminding me of "sylph (air elementals)", but I guess I'm OK with Fairy-type for now... And this issue was more of a joke, but I would've laughed if it became ???-type, to "forever keep its 'true' type a mystery". XD But seriously, it bothered me how many months of speculation I had to endure before its type finally got revealed at E3 2013. I still want a ???-type Pokemon, though.

Xerneas
    Probably the most annoying re-typing that comes to mind already.. Unless a secondary typing has been withheld from us somehow, I'll likely have to wait until Generation 7 for Xerneas to be re-typed. T_T Anyway, I'd like it to be re-typed from Fairy to either Fairy/Grass, Fairy/Ground, or Fairy/Steel - just anything but monotype Fairy; pure Fairy-type seems like a cheap way to advertise Generation 6's new type. All 3 potential type combinations are so that Xerneas has some "earth-based" typing to complement counterpart Yveltal's Flying type (you know, with Yveltal soaring in the skies on the vertical Y-axis and Xerneas remaining grounded on the horizontal X-Axis). Additionally, monotype legendary mascots seem a bit..."off" nowadays, especially since Suicune (the only one not expressly in a duo), Groudon, and Kyogre are the only ones that lack dual-typing.

Fairy/Grass - Almost every screenshot/artwork of this Pokemon involves verdant areas and nature and stuff, not to mention that deer typically seem at home in forests and similar locales anyway. Plants also gives birth to a variety of things and seem to be associated with growth/birth in general, so it seems fitting, IMO.

Fairy/Ground - The most "earth-based" of the 3 potential secondary types. It's also a solid attacking type, and gets across the "heaven & earth" duality concept a bit better.

Fairy/Steel - An amazing defensive type. Xerneas seems more of a pacifist compared to the destructive, warmongering Yveltal, so it seems suited to a defensive role.
    Additionally, I usually see the Steel-type (or the "metal" element in general) as "Ground/'Earth', but better, save for its few weaknesses to heat/fire, electricity/magnetism, and oxidation/rust encroachment", so there's that. Plus, it would be a bit interesting, as the mascots (Fairy/Steel Xerneas and Dark/Flying Yveltal) of the generation that introduced the first new type in ages (Fairy type) would bear the two types (Dark and Steel) that Generation 2 (the first generation to retcon typings and introduce new types at all) introduced to the Pokemon metagame.

Charizard (Mega Charizard)
    I kind of don't care whether it's re-typed or not (the MEGA evolution, I mean), but Fire/Flying to Fire/Dragon deserves mention because STEALTH ROCK. Every time I read why people don't use such an iconic Pokemon (aside from non-competitive reasons), it's because of that one move (I haven't used it/encountered it at all yet, as I'm still loitering in Generation 3 for the time being). At least the typing wouldn't be such a hindrance to (Mega) Charizard as it is now (alternately, Stealth Rock could instead be altered it some way to give quadruply-weak Pokemon a chance).

Fairy type as a secondary type:
    Since it's introduced, I'd like Wigglytuff (since pre-evolution Jigglypuff has it), Blissey (MAYBE; this thing is practically the queen/embodiment of the term "resistance"; it doesn't need more immunities!), Audino, Azumarill (since pre-evolution Marill has it), and Snubbull (I mean, its PokeDex species identifier is the "Fairy Pokemon" XD) to gain the Fairy type as a secondary type.
    Okay! I think that's it for my "re-typings wishlist". XD

Last edited:
    Reactions: JP

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I like the idea of Dragonite simply being Dragon. That Flying bit has always bothered me a little bit.

I feel like Whimsicott should be dual typed to something. Grass/Ghost or Grass/Fairy maybe. Just has that mystical, magical kind of look to me. Also Accelgor should be Bug/Dark or something of the sort. Always thought it was strange it was only a Bug type, just looks like something more.

Would have loved Charizard to be a Fire/Dragon rather than Fire/Flying, but we all know that's never gonna happen. Lugia, Psychic/Flying or Water/Psychic. I wish it could be Water/Flying/Psychic, that would make the most sense really haha. MegaMewtwo Y should also totally be a Psychic/Fairy Pokemon, if you ask me.

I usually have a good amount of ones that I feel should be retyped, but for the love of it, I can't seem to remember any of them except those above.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I would have Shinx, Luxio, and Luxray become part dark-type. Every time I look at them, they instantly make me think that they're dark Pokémon. I would change Nidoking's type combination to poison/fighting, because its PokéDex entries give you the idea that it's some sort of a fighting-type Pokémon. This would make Nidoking four times weaker to psychic, but psychic-type Pokémon aren't used very often. Also, I would have MegaMewtwo X become partially a dark-type Pokémon since it looks kind of devilish.

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
    I would have Shinx, Luxio, and Luxray become part dark-type. Every time I look at them, they instantly make me think that they're dark Pokémon.

I agree on this. It really should be all Pokemon colored black that must have an added dark typing to show their distinction to other Pokemon. I agree on some of the speculations listed above, but Jirachi deserves to be re-typed to a Steel/Fairy because it is a Steel Pixie. Cofagrigus should be Ghost/Steel because of his pure gold armor and high defense.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    Anorith (アノプス Anopth) should be either Bug/Water or Rock/Water the irony that Anorith has lived in the sea but it's weak against Water-type attacks is quite amusing.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    These two need to become Fairy
    and

Both are known as the 'Fairy Pokemon' and Clefairy even has fairy in its name. It'll be so disappointing if they don't become the fairy type. Clefairy especially since its "counter type" or whatever, Jigglypuff, became a fairy type.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    I agree with BinaryPeaches.

Clefairy, Clefable, Snubull, and Granbull need to be retyped as Fairy types.

Luvdisc and Almomola, aside from being retconned to be part of the same evolutionary line, also need to gain a Fairy typing.

Gyarados should to become Water/Dragon. Hopefully if it ever gains a Mega Evolution, it will.

Luxio and Luxray should become Electric/Dark type.

Glalie should become Ice/Rock and Cryogonal should become Ice/Steel.

And lastly, Bulbasaur should be retyped as pure Grass type. Let it gain the Poison typing as an Ivysaur.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    Xerneas
    Probably the most annoying re-typing that comes to mind already.. Unless a secondary typing has been withheld from us somehow, I'll likely have to wait until Generation 7 for Xerneas to be re-typed. T_T Anyway, I'd like it to be re-typed from Fairy to either Fairy/Grass, Fairy/Ground, or Fairy/Steel - just anything but monotype Fairy; pure Fairy-type seems like a cheap way to advertise Generation 6's new type. All 3 potential type combinations are so that Xerneas has some "earth-based" typing to complement counterpart Yveltal's Flying type (you know, with Yveltal soaring in the skies on the vertical Y-axis and Xerneas remaining grounded on the horizontal X-Axis). Additionally, monotype legendary mascots seem a bit..."off" nowadays, especially since Suicune (the only one not expressly in a duo), Groudon, and Kyogre are the only ones that lack dual-typing.

Fairy/Grass - Almost every screenshot/artwork of this Pokemon involves verdant areas and nature and stuff, not to mention that deer typically seem at home in forests and similar locales anyway. Plants also gives birth to a variety of things and seem to be associated with growth/birth in general, so it seems fitting, IMO.

Fairy/Ground - The most "earth-based" of the 3 potential secondary types. It's also a solid attacking type, and gets across the "heaven & earth" duality concept a bit better.

Fairy/Steel - An amazing defensive type. Xerneas seems more of a pacifist compared to the destructive, warmongering Yveltal, so it seems suited to a defensive role.
    Additionally, I usually see the Steel-type (or the "metal" element in general) as "Ground/'Earth', but better, save for its few weaknesses to heat/fire, electricity/magnetism, and oxidation/rust encroachment", so there's that. Plus, it would be a bit interesting, as the mascots (Fairy/Steel Xerneas and Dark/Flying Yveltal) of the generation that introduced the first new type in ages (Fairy type) would bear the two types (Dark and Steel) that Generation 2 (the first generation to retcon typings and introduce new types at all) introduced to the Pokemon metagame.
    [/QUOTE/]

He is a FAIRY type. They meant it to be like real fairies are depicted in Japan- Living in forests and other places with an association to nature.

Back to topic, how can they make a fiary type and NOT put in the entire Clefable line?
    It is even clearly states that this evolutionary line are "The FAIRY pokemon". Heck, Clefairy has "fairy" in it!!

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    • Togekiss needs to be Fairy (and Flying) to slaughter Dragons
    • Celebi need to be Grass and Fairy to get rid of that multiple weaknesses, as well as to resist Fire moves and to slay Dragons.
    • While Chikorita and her evolutionary family doesn't look like Fairies, she desperately needs it so she can learn more moves.
    • Cleffa and her evolutionary relatives, for obvious reasons.
    • Staraptor needs that Close Combat boost! :D
    • Cottonee, Petilil, Hoppip and their evolutions, don't they look like Fairies from green prairies? :D

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    • Togekiss needs to be Fairy (and Flying) to slaughter Dragons
    • Celebi need to be Grass and Fairy to get rid of that multiple weaknesses, as well as to resist Fire moves and to slay Dragons.
    Totally agree with those two! I'd especially love for the Togekiss re-type. Does it really benefit all that much from being part Normal? I don't see it. Fairy would make much more sense too.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Totally agree with those two! I'd especially love for the Togekiss re-type. Does it really benefit all that much from being part Normal? I don't see it. Fairy would make much more sense too.

Hahaha!I didn't care about the benefit for Togekiss, ^^ though I agree with your point of Togekiss being a Normal type as a nono.
    Plus she looks like a fairy or angel would be actually more appropriate.
    Togekiss slaying Dragons, imagine it would look awesome and KA than Sylveon slaughtering Dragons.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Hahaha!I didn't care about the benefit for Togekiss, ^^ though I agree with your point of Togekiss being a Normal type as a nono.
    Plus she looks like a fairy or angel would be actually more appropriate.
    Togekiss slaying Dragons, imagine it would look awesome and KA than Sylveon slaughtering Dragons.

Haha, I don't always think of the beneficial aspects, but in this case, I think it totally would be. I'd freakin' love having Togekiss taking down Dragons with some ease. :)

Back