• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Real voices in games

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    They're beast right? Beasts, monsters etc. have cries. Cries=noises. They're supposed to be the equivalent of animals in the pokémon world.
    You wanting them to have voices is a completely baseless theory by people like you who think pokémon saying their names is awesoooome.

Besides, Game Freak have announced that they'll never implement the voices of pokémon into the game again. Pikachu was enough trying out the feature for the fans, and even if the voice turned out great, they don't think of their creations to have voices like that, so they'll never add it themselves.

(Don't throw that kind of junk on me again. I never base anything on thin air.
    If you can't prove your own point of view, which you clearly can't, then refrain from asking people to prove theirs just to gain some advantage in the discussions.)

To quote another user:

And that's where the discussion ends. Adding their voices would make pokémon not monsters, but creatures of fables. They would cease to be animals in the pokémon world. They're already depicted of being much more intellingent in the anime as it is, in the game they're simply beasts and they aren't that intelligent at all.

That's what I meant of blowing the concept out of the window. They wouldn't be monsters. You're supposed to collect and trade and fight with your monsters. Your animals. Not your creature of fable.

That takes a lot of memory, like, 400+ extra of audio clips is too much for the DS cart. Maybe it'll work on the Wii though.

For starters, I'm not defending a theory. I'm just wishing for something that I never said is likely to happen or not. Me wanting them to have voices is not a "theory". Look up theory in the dictionary. There's no point for me to prove because I never made a point. I just refuted yours. You made a claim. That claim was that pokemon saying their names was just something they did to allow kids to learn the names easier. This is a claim that should be supported by facts and evidence, but you have yet to provide this.

Alright, then, your quote does absolutely nothing to refute what I said about the purpose of the game. It is completely and utterly unrelated to what I said. Yes, maybe it's a little odd that pokemon can only say their names, and maybe it doesn't make sense. Maybe it's also a little odd that they can shoot bubbles out of their mouths that explode, or that they can shoot out energy balls (Lucario) or have X-Ray vision (Luxray)...do I have to go on? The pokemon world doesn't make sense. Trying to argue whether things should happen or not based on realism is not really a great idea when it comes to pokemon.

And for the record, how do you differentiate between "monsters" and "creatures of fable"? Isn't that just two ways of referring to the same exact thing? Pokemon represent animals in the pokemon world, but that's just the thing. In the POKEMON world. Not our world. They may be based on animals in real life (maybe like half of them are at the most) but they're still fictional creatures with fictional characteristics that make no more sense than saying only their names.

And finally, I'm not sure you're grasping the concept of the audio files here. You're not adding 493 more audio clips to the game. You're changing 493 audio clips that are already there. They already have an audio clip for every single pokemon. Changing them, even if they go to compressed mp3 instead of MIDI (which would make them slightly larger), will not be even close to too much space for a DS game. Pokemon is not graphics-heavy. They don't use even close to the max amount of space.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
    And finally, I'm not sure you're grasping the concept of the audio files here. You're not adding 493 more audio clips to the game. You're changing 493 audio clips that are already there. They already have an audio clip for every single pokemon. Changing them, even if they go to compressed mp3 instead of MIDI (which would make them slightly larger), will not be even close to too much space for a DS game. Pokemon is not graphics-heavy. They don't use even close to the max amount of space.

Careful there, the current Pokemon cries are already stored in some WAV type format, though I wouldn't be able to tell you what it was, or if they're compressed. It's been like that since Advance, and it's certainly not MIDI.

Back in the olden days of the GB/GBC, There were 50ish basic cries, which directly programmed the GB's PSG, generating square waves, noise waves, etc. There was then a string of 8 or so bytes for each pokemon to modify these cries slightly. (Thanks to Coolboyman's thread for this info)

Come to think of it, Advance may have been able to do this too, as I believe the GBA had access to GB sound hardware whilst working in GBA mode. (Someone correct me if this is wrong.)

But certainly, all the newer cries since Hoenn have been stored as some kind of Wav, probably comressed. Now, having said that, actual voices for each pokemon would be larger files. I can't imagine that if they are indeed compressed, the current cries are much larger than 50k of space each. As mentioned before, voice samples would probably be about 200k-500k each. But you're right, there's definately enough space on cart, which would fit well within the 128mb rom limit.

I actually believe though, despite what you said, that Diamond and Pearl were running fairly close to the 64mb limit, as Platinum is a 128mb rom, and considering that there isn't /that/ much new in Platinum, it's likely that the 64mb of space allotted for D/P was filled.

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
    I've just thought,
    If you added more "humanoid" voices to any future games, it would take EVEN longer to translate from Japanese to English since you'd have to find American actors, record their voices, edit them, and place them into the game instead of having "multilingual" cries. Thus, making it very annoying when we get the game even later than usual.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    Creature of fable: Animal which speaks.
    Monster: Beast of some sort. They don't speak. They cry. Monsters do have supernatural powers, you know. That's why they aren't called animals.

Over and out, keep on discussing without me :)

That's a completely arbitrary definition of those terms, and even if it stood, it still doesn't justify not having their voices, and it still doesn't justify your claim of them "throwing the concept of the game out the window".

I think we can compromise this. I want them in and you don't. If they have or don't have them, I will happily enjoy the game, whereas if they do have them, you will not even consider playing it (narrow-minded and foolish IMO). I haven't really provided a reason why they SHOULD have them, because there isn't really a reason why they SHOULD. I just think it would be a cool change. You provided a reason why they SHOULDN'T have them, and I have already pointed out that your reason is baseless and vague.

So we'll leave it at that.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    In all honesty, i think this is a bad idea.
    It gets annoying when you hear a pikachu say its name only, but understand caterpie.
    If the pokemon all speak the same language, why make them say their name only?
    and how weird would it sound for a dragonite to say "dragonite", and sound cool at the same time?
    its normal voice just sounds cool enough as it is, as a roaring dinosaur.
    however, it would help the kids who are incoherent, and make them know that its die-al-ga, not dee-al-ga.
    maybe they should put it on some pokemon, but only when they use a move such as growl or roar.
    that way, the kids know how to pronounce it.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    In all honesty, i think this is a bad idea.
    It gets annoying when you hear a pikachu say its name only, but understand caterpie.
    If the pokemon all speak the same language, why make them say their name only?
    and how weird would it sound for a dragonite to say "dragonite", and sound cool at the same time?
    its normal voice just sounds cool enough as it is, as a roaring dinosaur.
    however, it would help the kids who are incoherent, and make them know that its die-al-ga, not dee-al-ga.
    maybe they should put it on some pokemon, but only when they use a move such as growl or roar.
    that way, the kids know how to pronounce it.

If you've watched the anime at all, you'd know that not every pokemon says its name. Dialga would not say its name, nor would Dragonite. They would still just roar.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The obvious original reason for no voiceovers being their cries is the fact that... well, you should be familiar with the sound quality of Pikachu in Yellow. Ugh.

I should think today's DS card capable of holding enough decent quality recordings for each Pokemon to have a vocal cry, but in all honesty I'd find it annoying.
    Like they've always had the mono/stereo sound option, if there's space on the DS cards they should make future games with both sound effects and voiceovers for cries, and let the player choose which he/she wishes to hear.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    The obvious original reason for no voiceovers being their cries is the fact that... well, you should be familiar with the sound quality of Pikachu in Yellow. Ugh.

I should think today's DS card capable of holding enough decent quality recordings for each Pokemon to have a vocal cry, but in all honesty I'd find it annoying.
    Like they've always had the mono/stereo sound option, if there's space on the DS cards they should make future games with both sound effects and voiceovers for cries, and let the player choose which he/she wishes to hear.

The voice of reason and logic shines here!

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I doin't know I suppose this would be a good idea, but it would get annoying to me after a while just like the cries... I usually play pokemon games with the volume turned off...

Back