• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Realistic Pokemon!

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Hmm I could see that. Pokemon could very much be used as weapons. I think that overall, we couldn't say for sure what life with Pokemon would be like until we specify this: are we talking about us being transported to the PokeWorld, or Pokemon on Planet Earth?

I prefer us being transported to the pokeworld just for more fun:P
    because with that, we'll have much more freedom and use more imagination
    The world can be close to our world in term of appearance but with different and alternate history.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • I think the Pokémon world is different because they have had Pokémon all along. If we had supper smart pet / companions we would probably be in a different mind set. In the games compassion and friendship is stressed to create a better world. We are not in that mind set. I believe that if Pokémon had been here all along we would be in the same type of wold as the Pokémon world.

I've also been thinking about why there are not a lot of starter pokemon in the game. Even in the anime there are not a lot of starter pokemon around. I think that the starters are extremely rare (which has been stated in game). But if they are so rare then why do they give them away to new trainers? I think (well I did at least untill snivy left its trainer) that starters are loyal smart pokemon who later become strong with the proper care. Seeing what a pokemon can be would teach young children about teamwork, patience, and caring for others.

I imagine there is an extremely long waiting list for a starters because of their rareness as well as the above mentioned qualities.

As for blood and death. I think that Pokemon battles would be about like boxing. All in good sport, and you don't go in for the final kill. Although accidents do happen, I don't think they would be very frequent. Attacks like Hyperbeam would probably be banned due to its power. Part of being a trainer is to know when to call it quits. You don't push your Pokemon till its falling over dead.

Technically it would not be safe to travel in the Pokemon world because you would have nothing to defend yourself against the ferocious wild powerful monsters, that is unless you have your own ferocious tame powerful monsters.

Last edited:

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I think the Pokémon world is different because they have had Pokémon all along. If we had supper smart pet / companions we would probably be in a different mind set. In the games compassion and friendship is stressed to create a better world. We are not in that mind set. I believe that if Pokémon had been here all along we would be in the same type of wold as the Pokémon world.
    but things can be different from that pokemon world in the nor the anime. Because realistic does that the world is not all about rainbow and happiness.
    I've also been thinking about why there are not a lot of starter pokemon in the game. Even in the anime there are not a lot of starter pokemon around. I think that the starters are extremely rare (which has been stated in game). But if they are so rare then why do they give them away to new trainers? I think (well I did at least untill snivy left its trainer) that starters are loyal smart pokemon who later become strong with the proper care. Seeing what a pokemon can be would teach young children about teamwork, patience, and caring for others.
    IMO, "Starter" are just a brand we placed on the pokemon we usually gifted with by the professor in game. All pokemon as long as they are the first pokemon of those trainer, can be called "starter" pokemon. In the end, "starter" pokemon are just ordinary pokemon. Well, they can be extremely rare and endangered and being in captive breeding by the leageu so we can only find them at professor hands(in the game at least) but not all trainer need to be star with them realistically speaking.
    I imagine there is an extremely long waiting list for a starters because of their rareness as well as the above mentioned qualities.
    Well, I prefer start my path of battler with Weedle rather than have to wait for those "starter".
    As for blood and death. I think that Pokemon battles would be about like boxing. All in good sport, and you don't go in for the final kill. Although accidents do happen, I don't think they would be very frequent. Attacks like Hyperbeam would probably be banned due to its power. Part of being a trainer is to know when to call it quits. You don't push your Pokemon till its falling over dead.
    True, but there's still some unavoidable incident or "incident".
    Technically it would not be safe to travel in the Pokemon world because you would have nothing to defend yourself against the ferocious wild powerful monsters, that is unless you have your own ferocious tame powerful monsters.
    Completely agree with this. Especially with Drowzee, gastly, Haunter, and Gengar there will be no safe place without pokemon.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • I think the Pokémon world is different because they have had Pokémon all along. If we had supper smart pet / companions we would probably be in a different mind set. In the games compassion and friendship is stressed to create a better world. We are not in that mind set. I believe that if Pokémon had been here all along we would be in the same type of wold as the Pokémon world.
    but things can be different from that pokemon world in the nor the anime. Because realistic does that the world is not all about rainbow and happiness.
    I still belive that Pokemon would change the human mindset for the better. I mean Its been proven that pets make people happier, now put a bunch of super smart "pets" around and the world would change.

Well, I prefer start my path of battler with Weedle rather than have to wait for those "starter".

I think that a list of sorts would go in order of who scored the best in trainer school. IE don't give the rare Pokemon to someone who is likely going to quit in two weeks.

I would join the list just because I want a Cyndaquil. If I didn't get one, I would go catch my own starter and save up the money until I could buy a Cyndaquil from a breeder.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I still belive that Pokemon would change the human mindset for the better. I mean Its been proven that pets make people happier, now put a bunch of super smart "pets" around and the world would change.
    Perhaps, but not too drastic I think. Realistically speaking, Pokemon without doubt will be used as tool of war until someone make a sort of universal agreement that banned pokemon usage in war. I don't think people like dragon tamer are peace loving guy, considering the ferocious nature of pokemon they handle.
    I think that a list of sorts would go in order of who scored the best in trainer school. IE don't give the rare Pokemon to someone who is likely going to quit in two weeks.
    I would join the list just because I want a Cyndaquil. If I didn't get one, I would go catch my own starter and save up the money until I could buy a Cyndaquil from a breeder.
    Still, I didn't think it's necessary to start a journey with Pokemon branded as "starter" by us.

Years
  • IMO, "Starter" are just a brand we placed on the pokemon we usually gifted with by the professor in game. All pokemon as long as they are the first pokemon of those trainer, can be called "starter" pokemon. In the end, "starter" pokemon are just ordinary pokemon. Well, they can be extremely rare and endangered and being in captive breeding by the leageu so we can only find them at professor hands(in the game at least) but not all trainer need to be star with them realistically speaking.

That's true. Both the anime and games have proven that you can start with just about any pokemon.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    That's true. Both the anime and games have proven that you can start with just about any pokemon.

Plus it's also shown many times in the anime that you can catch starters in the wild too, so there's no real reason to start off training them rather than anything else. I guess they do have pretty average-decent stats though, so maybe it's just encouraged to have one since they give you a good power to start with? Can you imagine starting your journey with a magikarp? :L

Duskwire

Battling since 1993~
    Years
  • I think a starter would be a Pokemon given if you don't already have a Pokemon. But I also think to get the regional starters we're all framiliar with, it would actually cost something. In the games, the only time you ever see starters is when you receive one, your rival, and the random trainer.

I would want to start with a Growlithe anyway. Who wants to have the same Pokemon as everyone else d:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think of it this way - The professors receive them from the breeders in sets of 3, with just over however many people they have reaching trainer age in the town. That's why the professor always has 3 in the games, because there are 2 people in the town usually reaching age (except in B/W), so he gets 3. Maybe Oak had a mix-up with the breeder and that's why he didn't have enough, or he wasn't intending for some people to come that day.

No town in Pokemon is large enough that they would be unable to keep track of who's turning 10 imo, or if they already took a test that allowed them to become a trainer that would let the professor know as well.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • Still, I didn't think it's necessary to start a journey with Pokemon branded as "starter" by us.
    Stater is any pokemon you start out with, it doesn't have to be one of the "region starters," that you get in the game.

I think of it this way - The professors receive them from the breeders in sets of 3, with just over however many people they have reaching trainer age in the town. That's why the professor always has 3 in the games, because there are 2 people in the town usually reaching age (except in B/W), so he gets 3. Maybe Oak had a mix-up with the breeder and that's why he didn't have enough, or he wasn't intending for some people to come that day.

No town in Pokemon is large enough that they would be unable to keep track of who's turning 10 imo, or if they already took a test that allowed them to become a trainer that would let the professor know as well.
    I prefer to think of the "starter" Pokemon as a part of "TAP." I think that the sign up process for a starter is very expensive, or else they would be everywhere. This fee is probably covered by the trainer's parents / family, or perhaps even a government grant in some, special cases. The starter Pokemon are a fair Pokemon as a base monster, but get quite strong once they fully evolve. For this reason, in order to even qualify for a starter, one must compete trainer school and prove they have the financial backing to be able to take care of one properly.

Last edited:

Duskwire

Battling since 1993~
    Years
  • I could see TAPs taking care of starter Pokemon, but I think it would only happen if you didn't have a starter. We've seen lots of trainers that had Pidgey and Rattata as their first partner. So I think it really just depends on money.

To be honest, I kind of doubt the "regional starters" would be the starters given out. They're rare, and people would protest against breeders breeding them for demand like puppymills and pet stores. I think eventually a lot of low level monsters would just be given as starters (ie: Sandshrew, Vulpix, Growlithe, Rattata, Pidgey, Nidoran m/f, Spearow, etc.). If you've ever done a solo run, you know you can beat the game without a starter.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I try to throw a topic here
    -What pokemon will be classified as rare by the Pokemon League? We at least know that Lapras is classified as rare pokemon by the entry in Pokedex by I pretty much sure there are a lot more pokemon that will be classified as rare.

-What the benefits you get by specializing in one type? I pretty sure since realistic pokemon battle will have many aspect that would affect the flow of battle and most Gym are specialized in on type so there must be benefit to it.

Duskwire

Battling since 1993~
    Years
  • I try to throw a topic here
    -What pokemon will be classified as rare by the Pokemon League? We at least know that Lapras is classified as rare pokemon by the entry in Pokedex by I pretty much sure there are a lot more pokemon that will be classified as rare.

-What the benefits you get by specializing in one type? I pretty sure since realistic pokemon battle will have many aspect that would affect the flow of battle and most Gym are specialized in on type so there must be benefit to it.

Rare Pokemon: I think "rare" isn't the right word for it, "endangered" fits better. Basically any Pokemon that there isn't a certain number of them (ie: 2000) in the wild/captivity.

Benefits of Mono Type Teams: I think that the benefit of this would be the trainer wouldn't have to get used the the battling styles of different types of Pokemon. Obviously the difference between fighting and fire would be fighting is a physical battler, where as a fire type would be more of a hands-off battler.

More questions for consideration:
    - How would trainers live on the road? Would there be rest houses every 20 miles for trainers to stay at, or would you literally be roughing it?

- What effects would eating Pokemon have on humans? Would we be immune to any sides effects because of centuries of eating them already?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    There's also the point that Gym Leaders don't have to move, they can take all challengers at their gym. Which is optimized to handle whatever their specialty is. A Fire-type gym with a ton of heat could be like a permanent Sunny Day to a good team.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years

• More questions for consideration:
    - How would trainers live on the road? Would there be rest houses every 20 miles for trainers to stay at, or would you literally be roughing it?

- What effects would eating Pokemon have on humans? Would we be immune to any sides effects because of centuries of eating them already?

I think it would be a combination of both when it comes to travling. I imgine there are rual PokeCenters just like there are in the anime, but also if you can't find one your stuck out in the wild which could be an issue in the winter, which leads me to:

Do you think traveling continues in Winter?

Hmm... In terms of eating Pokemon, it would probably be like eating wild animals today, as long as one of them isn't poisoned or poisonous, it would probably be okay if you are used to eating wild food. Otherwise it mike take a transition phase in which your stomach would probably rebel.

Years
  • What is a TAP?

Do you think traveling continues in Winter?

Depends on the trainer. There are many different kinds of trainers and if they are strong enough, some will continue to travel no matter what the weather is like or what season it is.

Originally Posted by shengar Realistic Pokemon!
    I try to throw a topic here

Whatever pokemon is considered rare in the pokemon world would also be rare in the real world.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024

I imagine, as trainers, they would also be trained to bring their own tents for when nighttime comes and they aren't anywhere near a resthouse/town/city. Or they'd use cars, whichever seems more realistic to you.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013

Rare Pokemon: I think "rare" isn't the right word for it, "endangered" fits better. Basically any Pokemon that there isn't a certain number of them (ie: 2000) in the wild/captivity.
    Well, rare and endagered are different kind of status. Dragon pokemon might be called rare but since they are under the care of dragon tamer clans, I say that Dragon pokemon are not endangered. For Pokemon like Lapras or possibly Farfetch'd might become rare as well as endagered because over hunting by humans.

Benefits of Mono Type Teams: I think that the benefit of this would be the trainer wouldn't have to get used the the battling styles of different types of Pokemon. Obviously the difference between fighting and fire would be fighting is a physical battler, where as a fire type would be more of a hands-off battler.
    The kind of answer I expected:)
    If trainer have deep enough knowledge and skills on the type they specialize, they might can combine many move at once. Maybe they can even exploit the special property of the type to remove its weakness from certain type.

Only really good trainer that can excel in many different kind of type. Even 3 from 5 Champion have type they excel with. Lance with dragon, Steven with steel, and Alder with bug.

More questions for consideration:
    They can set up a camp or search for resting place. Although I doubt there will be any rest houses for every 20 miles. So it recommended for trainer that set on their journey to have a friend. It wouldn't funny if Drowzee attack you in your dream.

There's also the point that Gym Leaders don't have to move, they can take all challengers at their gym. Which is optimized to handle whatever their specialty is. A Fire-type gym with a ton of heat could be like a permanent Sunny Day to a good team.
    It's true. Gym leader job is to evaluate the trainer that challenge them . Gym Leader are permitted to set up any rules as they see fit to test their challenger.

Back