• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Recent Computer & Tech Purchases? (v2)

Toddler Naruto

Playful Explorer
    Years
    I'll start us off again ^_^.

I recently ordered these two items for $15.38 from Amazon :).

Network Lan Cable Tester - $5.39 New
    Sabrent USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Network Adapter - $9.99 New

(our network card doesn't support gigabit ethernet, even with the latest driver installed)

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    I recently just bought a new gaming desktop, The Alienware Area-51. As well as a new gaming monitor. All with 4 Year Alienware Enhanced Support & 4 Year Accidental Damage Service

Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-5960X (8-cores, 20MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.0 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
    32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
    512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage
    Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ Titan Z graphics with 24GB total (2x 12GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled
    Alienware™ 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
    Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Disc™ Reader (BD-ROM, DVD±RW, CD-RW)
    Intel 7260 802.11ac 2x2 Wireless, WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0

Dell UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD Monitor - UP3214Q

Cost Me $8,498.98

Last edited:
    Years
    I recently just bought a new gaming desktop, The Alienware Area-51. As well as a new gaming monitor. All with 4 Year Alienware Enhanced Support & 4 Year Accidental Damage Service

Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-5960X (8-cores, 20MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.0 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
    32GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
    512GB SSD 6Gb/s Main + 4TB 6kRPM SATA 6Gb/s Storage
    Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ Titan Z graphics with 24GB total (2x 12GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled
    Alienware™ 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
    Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Disc™ Reader (BD-ROM, DVD±RW, CD-RW)
    Intel 7260 802.11ac 2x2 Wireless, WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0

Dell UltraSharp 32 Ultra HD Monitor - UP3214Q

Cost Me $8,498.98

Sweet mercy, that is hellaciously expensive. Tack on another $4000 and you'd be over the resale value of my car.

As for me, while having not exchanged any money yet, I've agreed to buy a friend's 2 year old computer off of them for $600 (versus the $1100 I was going to be facing building myself a moderately higher spec'd completely new one; I'll still probably be buying a top of the line GPU a month or two after making the machine completely mine, though) since they've decided they're upgrading. First they need to get the parts for their new machine ordered.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    Sweet mercy, that is hellaciously expensive. Tack on another $4000 and you'd be over the resale value of my car.

As for me, while having not exchanged any money yet, I've agreed to buy a friend's 2 year old computer off of them for $600 (versus the $1100 I was going to be facing building myself a moderately higher spec'd completely new one; I'll still probably be buying a top of the line GPU a month or two after making the machine completely mine, though) since they've decided they're upgrading. First they need to get the parts for their new machine ordered.

Steap price to pay indeed but it is what you pay when you want one of the most powerful computers in the world to date that can be owned by general population without custom building. The computer can and will play any game on max graphical settings for at least the next 5 years and I also won't have to worry about overheating which is a issue for me since I like to play games on max graphics for about 12+ hours daily. So in the end was worth it for me.

Years
    Steap price to pay indeed but it is what you pay when you want one of the most powerful computers in the world to date that can be owned by general population without custom building. The computer can and will play any game on max graphical settings for at least the next 5 years and I also won't have to worry about overheating which is a issue for me since I like to play games on max graphics for about 12+ hours daily. So in the end was worth it for me.

What's crazy to me is that you have the cash to drop on a system like that at your age. And having 12+ hours available to game.

That power supply also seems insane even though I know the Titans need a lot of freaking power.

If I had that much to drop on a PC, I'd probably spend it on a rack-mounted server and some server racking, personally, but that's because I want a server to run virtual machines off of that I can just leave running for a home lab.

Anyway, I bought some stuff off Newegg last night. Not for me, but for my brother. He'll pay me back later. I just ordered because I have PayPal and an account there. The things:
    GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P
    AMD 6-CORE FX-6300 3.5G 8M
    HEC Vigilance Black mATX

A microATX motherboard from GIGABYTE, the AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz processor, and a microATX case. He's also buying parts (HDD and maybe the PSU; the PSU is not modular, and non-modular PSUs are a colossal pain to work with) from the computer I am buying from a friend, since I'll be replacing those with newer parts.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Gosh can't even remember the price, but two cheap-as iPhone 4s charger cords and a twin usb outlet. Off to buy another 2TB external harddrive in the next week or so.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jul 16, 2019
    Just received my AirPort Time Capsule (3TB) for Time Machine backups. It's a much-needed upgrade from my previous 2TB Time Capsule—aside from the obvious size increase—there's been a noticeable improvement in Wi-Fi. I can't believe I waited almost two years just to give up on my 4th generation and upgrade! Even if they announce a refresh next month in WWDC, I think this one will still be significant for the next 3 to 5 years.

I really like this new Time Capsule. I think I'll open it up and upgrade the HDD to a 4TB.

Last edited:
    Years
    I went ahead and got a hard drive dock for my old desktop's hard drive. Since I currently don't have a tower at the moment, I needed a way to get files off of the drive and use them.

Years
    I have not ordered anything computer related recently. However, I have considered getting an external hard drive as sometimes it feels like my computer gets loaded after a while.

Years
    I went ahead and got a hard drive dock for my old desktop's hard drive. Since I currently don't have a tower at the moment, I needed a way to get files off of the drive and use them.
    And the dock came in today! Using it right now to get my music and whatnot from my desktop's hard drive since my desktop is no longer usable.

Pokémon Trainer 188

Only a few small purchases but I've bought a Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse, I love this mouse and I had the wired model but I'm not a huge fan of cords and it only cost me £13.50!

I've also bought a new fancy cassette deck although I don't remember the price, it's a lovely sounding one though!

Not much, but I'm planning on getting a new iMac soon!

Pokémon Trainer 188

Awesome, I'm not the only person here that still uses cassettes lol.

I love cassettes, just picked up the Star Wars episode one soundtrack on cassette, I also picked up a bunch of blank ones in my local chain shop, they still sell them!

Back