• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Recolours and Fusions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Sorry, Kayla, but the main Pixel Art forum is reserved for scratch work (with the occasional fusion or recolor) so I've merged your thread into the fusions thread here.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Here's my first Splice since the fail I made last year.
    louditung.png

Any good?

Years
  • This is probably a terrible place to post this, but I'm looking to open a shop creating revamps and devamps, and possibly other fusion-y things as well, but only things I deem to be "useful". So, I'm thinking that iPod, inferno, pillowshades etc are probably not too useful, although a good splice might work. So, if you're interested, get in touch! Here are a few examples of my revamp work:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2010
    This is my first sprites, is it good :)?
    Articskhan.png
    FireLord.png
    Goldenskull.png
    Hobearamon.png
    Steeloys.png

Rate it please!:rambo:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    A club was once made for Generation 1 sprites that didn't suck.

It wasn't a very big club, and this guy was on the door.

Attachments

• COOL_GEN_1_SPRITES_ONLY_CLUB_by_The100MegaShock.png
      COOL_GEN_1_SPRITES_ONLY_CLUB_by_The100MegaShock.png
      5.3 KB · Views: 179
    Years
  • ^__^ Animated fusion!
    output.gif

It's telling you off! What do you think?

I love animations. <3

Uh, well the quality doesn't look great. =\
    It looks like a jpg file. If you have GIMP or a Photoshop program, saving an animation on GIF would look a lot more clear. Also, it's a simple animations, but I noticed the waving arm/hand. All you did was flip it upside down. -..-; I screenshot'd the frame, and the shading was upside down. =\ It you really wanted to make it look like it was waving, you at LEAST want to fix the shading. The opened mouth looks good, but, instead of just seeing red, why not make a tongue show? =P I would have maybe added a little more? Maybe, blinking eyes?
    Eh, it's alright, I just don't like the upside down hand and the quality of the animation. xP

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    eggq.gif
    I was bored so I made this :D It's eevee hatching from its egg!

Inferny

Lord of Pokabu
    Years
  • 30ttouf.png

Just 3 recolours of the Bulbasaur line...Nothing special, really. It's been long since my last sprite. Venusaur is ugly XD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I did these sprites for BMGf (those are some samples):

Recolors:

mudkipcoloredaerodactyl.png

Mudkip-colored Aerodactyl

glaceoncoloredporygonz.png

Glaceon-colored Porygon-Z

darkraicoloredspiritomb.png

Darkrai-colored Spiritomb

Splices (fusions):

arcadoomyena.png

Arcadoomyena (Arcanine + Houndoom + Mightyena)

zapdra.png

Zapdra (Zapdos + Kingdra)

krabzor.png

Krabzor (Krabby + Scizor)

Years
  • 30ttouf.png

Just 3 recolours of the Bulbasaur line...Nothing special, really. It's been long since my last sprite. Venusaur is ugly XD
    Those recolours are oversaturated where there's colour, and under-contrasted all the way through. The outlines are far too light and the orange and pink are eye-sores. The black on the Bulbasaur's shades are so close together that it's hard to identify shading. Perhaps try taking shades from Game Freak's official sprites?
    386deoxys.png
    315roselia.png
    359absol.png
    491m.png
    402m.png
    264m.png

As you can see, Deoxys' orange is a lot less saturated than the bulb of Ivysaur and Bulbasaur, and the trunk of Venasaur's massive flower thing. Darkrai and Absol are good examples of using dark grey and black effectively, and Roselia's red is a much more eye-appealing tone than the red used in your recolours, Inferny, and Venasaur's pink would be better off replaced with this kind of palette. Shiny Linoone's orange is perfect for the oranges you've used. A less saturated red is shown in Kricketune, as well. It's also another example of making black. Even if you were going for flouresency, there are ways of achieving that whilst still making it pleasurable to look at.

I've done essentially the same recolours as you did, but with more eye-pleasing colours. Venusaur has been tweaked a little because some of the colours were practically unfixable.

5jy80o.png

Can you see the difference? It's a lot nicer.

These are both pretty nice. Well done. The first could have some work done on the outline, but it's quite a nice fusion.
    I'll tell you which ones I like first: Altaria, Shuckle Red and Green and Greyscale Bronzong. The rest, unfortunately, I do not like. Similar to with Inferny, the shades you have used do not have enough contrast between each other, and, more importantly, are too saturated in quite a few places, especially where there's black. I'm not going to go over how to do black properly again, but to reiterate, try checking out the Absol, Darkrai, Kricketune, etc. sprites for guidance on how to execute it properly and make it look nice. Putting the seriously dark top aside, Mantyke's yellow really is horrible. It looks like... well, it doesn't look nice. Perhaps try using a more orangey yellow, or maybe a yellow like used in these sprites?
    416vespiquen.png
    163hoothoot.png
    243raikou.png
    261poochyena.png
    As you can see with Vespiquen and Raikou, when yellow is orangey, and quite saturated, it's a very nice, rich colour that looks pretty awesome. If you want a duller colour, Shiny Poochyena is a perfect example. Shiny Lumineon is also a nice dull, browny-yellow colour, but I don't think it's what you really wanted. Shiny Hoothoot's body colour is a nice golden shade, however I think Game Freak screwed up with the underbelly's colour, as it clashes, but if you just refer to the body's colour, you can see a solid example of well-used gold.
    Next, we come to Red Suicune. Now, it's not terrible, but I just don't like the colours used. They just don't work. I think it would look better with:
    243raikou.png
    and
    166ledian.png
    for the orange and red, repsectively. I'm not quite sure why the current colours don't work, but I don't like them. Perhaps it's the lack of saturation? I don't know.
    While Green and Red Shuckles aren't perfect, I'm going to pick on the Blue version, because it's a real eye-sore. It's far too dark and saturated for my taste, and makes it hard to see the eyes as they are black. Because of that, it makes the white pupils looks out of place. My suggestion is a lighter or less saturated blue, such as Shiny Gulpin's almost cyan colour:
    316gulpin.png
    . The red and green could be less saturated and lighter too, but it's especially bad with the Blue one. If you want to improve the Red and Green ones as well, I suggest:
    088grimer.png
    and
    047parasect.png
    I just noticed that Suicune and Altaria's palettes are identical. Even so, I still find Altaria to be very nicely done, and my crit for the Suicune remains. It just doesn't work with Suicune.
    Finally, we come to the PMD sprites. It looks like you've done an invert sort of thing, where you invert the palette and recolour. I'm normally not a fan of these, and I'm afraid these are no exceptions. Softer colours would be much more preferable in my eyes. It needs desaturation.
    Nice colour scheme. Nothing I can really see wrong with this.
    I think Glaceon should keep it's own colour scheme. Seriously. It just doesn't work on Porygon-Z. The arms have had the outline colour used on them. That's a real no-no. If you don't have enough colours, make one yourself or don't do it. >:
    ...it's not nice. WHY use red for a blue-coloured part. It just doesn't work. Seriously.
    Okay, all three of these fusions have been copied-and-pasted, thus presenting anatomical errors all over, wings being behind the body and not merged in, escher-style angles with the claws and illogical shading (which is the result of just copying-and-pasting and not reshading). I'm not gonna point much out, but these could be done much better. Arcanine's colouring is weird, with the dark red outline on a black body, which just looks weird. The horns have got some stray pixels, and Kingdra looks like it was done in five seconds.

Last edited:

Inferny

Lord of Pokabu
    Years
  • They're supposed to look like that. I tried to make something with very bright colours which still seemed dark...It was a 5 minute job. But I must say that the contrasts on the Bulbasaur ARE very different, it's easy to see they're not the same. I didn't want them to look gray like da ones you made.

Bulasaur: I actually liked my Bulbasaur. I don't see the problem with it.
    Ivysaur: The flower on the back turned a little wrong, way too dark colours there, but otherwise it turned out as I wanted it.
    Venusaur: The flower was supposed to make your eyes hurt XD But yeah, the flower looks a little bad even if it was on purpose.

Cobalt'Scizor

Wannabe Spriter/ROM Hacker
    Years
  • @Spherical Ice: Thank you very much for all of that critique, but I think that you misunderstood a few things:

1. I didn't use Pokemon colors, I used my own palettes which are still being refined and such:
    Spoiler:

2. Wobbuffet and the Shuckles are supposed to have high contrast. That's the beauty of the palettes.
    3. Mantyke didn't use yellow, but gold.
    4. Suicune and Altaria use different palettes. (Radish and Dream respectively)
    5. Don't get me wrong, I respect you and was not trying to be rude or clever.

And, colored version of HGSS badges :D
    minis.png

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Nice colour scheme. Nothing I can really see wrong with this.I think Glaceon should keep it's own colour scheme. Seriously. It just doesn't work on Porygon-Z. The arms have had the outline colour used on them. That's a real no-no. If you don't have enough colours, make one yourself or don't do it. >:...it's not nice. WHY use red for a blue-coloured part. It just doesn't work. Seriously.Okay, all three of these fusions have been copied-and-pasted, thus presenting anatomical errors all over, wings being behind the body and not merged in, escher-style angles with the claws and illogical shading (which is the result of just copying-and-pasting and not reshading). I'm not gonna point much out, but these could be done much better. Arcanine's colouring is weird, with the dark red outline on a black body, which just looks weird. The horns have got some stray pixels, and Kingdra looks like it was done in five seconds.
    Heh, thanks for the feedback...I'm just a beginner, though. Splicing is rather difficult for me; recolors are pretty much my specialty, though I have a hard time putting the right colors in the right places.

In the meantime, here's another recolor:
    electivirecoloreddragon.png

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back