• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Recommend an album!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Recommend a music album to the user above, based on some keywords or genres they state that they like.

For me, I prefer instrumental music, and I'm partial to post-rock, retrowave or "digital" sounding music.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

Pretty much all of your descriptors (except instrumental music) above are included in this, and it's probably my favourite album ever. So... no pressure.

No rules for the next person: just give me your favourite album

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Days Are Gone by HAIM would be one. Although they've been around for a while, I've discovered these girls only recently, and to say the least, they're different. They bring a fresh taste to music in general.

Favorite melodic metal album?

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
    Years
  • I'm not as familiar towards metal, but Godspeed You! Black Emperor has some harder vs softer parts to it that might appeal to you. Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is probably their most popular album. Also, I'm seeing HAIM in July or August.

I'm in an electronic phase right now. Been listening to some CHVRCHES, Royksopp, Robyn, and Iiris.

Years
  • How about Halcyon by Ellie Goulding? She incorporates plenty of electronic music into her sound. I think it's fairly similar to the kind of sound that CHVRCHES has. Not the same, of course, but I think you could like it.

I could do with something instrumental or orchestral. If it can sound similar to World's End Girlfriend or Sigur Ros that would be a plus.

MechaMoth

Eloquent Speaker
    Years
  • How about Halcyon by Ellie Goulding? She incorporates plenty of electronic music into her sound. I think it's fairly similar to the kind of sound that CHVRCHES has. Not the same, of course, but I think you could like it.

I could do with something instrumental or orchestral. If it can sound similar to World's End Girlfriend or Sigur Ros that would be a plus.

Thanks for the rec!
    I haven't heard World's End Girlfriend, but you could go with Explosions in the Sky for Sigur Ros. The Physics of Meaning (Daniel Hart) or Final Fantasy (Owen Pallett) are also some good bands.

Is there any pop music out there in different languages that isn't KPop or JPop? Possibly something akin to Yelle (French).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Thanks for the rec!
    I haven't heard World's End Girlfriend, but you could go with Explosions in the Sky for Sigur Ros. The Physics of Meaning (Daniel Hart) or Final Fantasy (Owen Pallett) are also some good bands.

Is there any pop music out there in different languages that isn't KPop or JPop? Possibly something akin to Yelle (French).
    There is a lot of great Swedish music imo c: Not sure this is your taste, but Veronica Maggio is a very popular Swedish pop artist. Try her album Satan i Gatan
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2fOs6I0CgvaZj9agU8EAlH

There's also this girl I actually knew once upon a time, she might sound more like Yelle but I'm not personally a fan ahha. Album is called Synd.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/50MsKCalh2ddKTd7cmjhz9

I'm keen on some beautiful video game / soundtrack music!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm keen on some beautiful video game / soundtrack music!

I think you would enjoy the Tales of Zestiria soundtrack. Don't play the game, though. One of the prettiest tracks is Melody of Water is the Guide in Spiritual Mist. Zaveid the Exile also starts off with a pretty guitar riff, but gets a lot of energy about 30 seconds in. Never fails to pump me up. Perhaps the soundtrack is more grand than pretty, but I think you will enjoy it regardless.

I'm pretty open to anything, but lately I've been itching for some metal or alternative similar to older Deftones albums like White Pony and Around the Fur.

GarlandChaos

Holy Diver
    Years
  • I think Soundgarden's Superunknown album is for you. I'm not super familiar with Deftones, but if you want alternative, then Soundgarden should be a fun listen. Badmotorfinger is another album I'd suggest. Recommended songs from both albums are Spoonman, Black Hole Sun, Fell On Black Days, Outshined, Rusty Cage, and Jesus Christ Pose.

Itching for something similar to Motorhead or Judas Priest's Painkiller album. Something fast and aggressive, really.

User19sq

Yngwie Malmsteen's Perpetual Flame album. It's pretty fast, per the norm, and features Tim Owens on vocals. It's pretty good.

I like most metal, but with melody. Usually in the spectrum of progressive to heavy/goth.

GarlandChaos

Holy Diver
    Years
  • Danzig's self-titled debut album sounds right up your alley. Might not be your exact definition of goth, but it touches upon a lot of dark/gory themes. Songs I'd recommend would be Twist Of Cain, Mother, and Am I Demon.

Old school style thrash metal would be pretty sweet right about now. Something in the same vein as bands like The Big Four (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax), Testament, Exodus, and Overkill.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    When I think of thrash metal I think of Pantera. "Cowboys from Hell" is as old school as I can think of ^^;.

I want something "epic", and by epic I mean a lot of instrumentation and choirs with many, many people.

GarlandChaos

Holy Diver
    Years
  • It doesn't quite have the "choirs with many, many people" bit, but I recommend Metallica's live album collaboration with the San Francisco Symphonic Orchestra, S&M. It's a collection of live orchestrated renditions of a lot of popular Metallica songs (One, For Whom the Bell Tolls, etc.), underrated gems (Of Wolf And Man, The Thing That Should Not Be, etc.), and two original compositions, No Leaf Clover and Minus Human. It's a really neat experience, listening to reimaginings of your favorite Metallica songs as well as some new, never before heard stuff, so I recommend you check it out.

I didn't quite get what I was looking for with that recommendation (Pantera is 90's, which I don't consider old school at all, and it's more groove metal than thrash metal), so I'll ask again: Old school thrash metal, please, akin to bands like Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, etc. Thanks in advance.

Years
  • I didn't quite get what I was looking for with that recommendation (Pantera is 90's, which I don't consider old school at all, and it's more groove metal than thrash metal), so I'll ask again: Old school thrash metal, please, akin to bands like Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament, etc. Thanks in advance.

I don't claim to be very experienced in the different metal genres, but if I understand you correctly I might recommend Blind Guardian, particularly their early music. (I'm more familiar with their more polished sound.) Try the album Follow The Blind. Here is a sample song from said album:

For me, uh, something rock and recent. I'm not really sure what's out there with rock music these days.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • For me, uh, something rock and recent. I'm not really sure what's out there with rock music these days.

Try Skillet's Unleashed album- its fantastic and easy to listen to if you aren't familiar with rock. :D (Skillet is actually one of the bands that got me into rock and metal in the first place)

Edit: I just realized that I never wrote what I would like to listen to. Preferably some old school metal from some bands that aren't super well known.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Try Skillet's Unleashed album- its fantastic and easy to listen to if you aren't familiar with rock. :D (Skillet is actually one of the bands that got me into rock and metal in the first place)

Edit: I just realized that I never wrote what I would like to listen to. Preferably some old school metal from some bands that aren't super well known.

I'd recommend Corrosion of Conformity namely their animosity album for something more old school. Though Deliverance is pretty good too.

I'm looking for some rap/hip-hop similar to Immortal Technique or The Mexikinz. Good beat, good lyrics and mostly english with some verses in a different language.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I haven't been listening to hip-hop as much lately, and I apologize that it might not include verses in a different language, but I would recommend Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples. "Crabs in a Bucket" is a standout especially, at least from my perspective.

K-pop? This is a genre I need to get more into, so suggestions are appreciated.

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    Knock Madness by Hopsin

Ironically enough the album he himself doesn't like has a lot of my favorite songs by him.

GarlandChaos

Holy Diver
    Years
  • I'd suggest Terminal Redux by Vektor. They're categorized as Progressive Thrash Metal, so there's a lot of technical stuff and speed going around, as well as some nice sci-fi theming tied to the band/album itself.

One fair warning, though: The majority of the vocals on the album are screamed, a la death or black metal. It may take a while to get used to, or it may turn you off entirely. Just a bit of a heads-up.

Meanwhile, I'll be asking for something in roughly the same vein: old school thrash metal. None of the black/death metal-esque screaming or growling; just pure, unadulterated old school thrash.

Back