• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen References to Munna/Musharna in Previous Games

H i l d a

S p r i t e r
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    In Pokémon Red/Blue, FireRed/LeafGreen, and Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, there have been references to Munna, which didn't exist back when the games were created. I doubt it's just a coincidence... ;p

First of all, in Red/Blue, and FireRed/LeafGreen, someone says
    "I wish there were pink POKéMON with a floral pattern!" Now look at Munna.
    References to Munna/Musharna in Previous Games

Munna is almost completely
    pink, minus the purple floral pattern. It's kind of scary how early they had designed munna 'cause I'm sure this isn't a coincidence. Do they already have some Generation 10 Pokémon planned out? o.o

Also, I noticed a less direct, but still pretty obvious, reference to Munna in Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. After getting a POKéNAV from the president guy, I went to leave the building. On the way out, I talked to the scientist dudes, and one of them said,
    "I'm trying to develop a device that visually reproduces the dreams of POKéMON..."

In Pokémon Black/White Fennel tells you,
    "See, Musharna evolves from Munna. So, seeing Munna in trouble, it used it's power--making dreams into reality--to save Munna"

A little later, Fennel says the dream mist is used to retrieve memories of sleeping Pokémon; making dreams into reality. Visually reproducing the dreams, exactly what the scientist wanted to do.

I just wanted to point this out because I thought it was really cool.
    :D

Proof:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I knew about the first, but not the second, that's pretty cool. I always was under the impression that some of the Pokemon have been ideas since the beginning, they just didn't have the technology to properly display them so they waited until later generations to release them.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I know that Munna was referenced in FR/LG as the pink Pokemoon with the floral pattern. From R/S/E however, I don't think that was a direct reference to Munna, but it could be similar to the dream-reproducing powers that Munna and Musharna have.

marcc5m

what
    Years
    I think the R/S/E one was more a reference to the Dream World. However, the Fr/Lg one is pretty cool. They could have Pokemon that were originally designed for gen 1 end up in gen 28. It's kinda like how Shellos and Gastrodon were meant for Gen III, and Throh was meant for Gen IV.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I have never even cared about what any of the trainers say in the game but after looking at this, maybe I should care now. I don't think that the Pokemon company had Munna thought of before hand, I honestly believe that they probably made Munna just to make that trainer's dreams come true. I find it cool that the Pokemon company were to do something like this

:t354:TG

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Musharna was referenced when Drowzee was created. <: I mean, c'mon. Musharna looks like a baby Drowzee. If Black and White weren't a fresh start then Musharna would of been a first stage. Obviously with a different color scheme.

Munna wouldn't of existed. Anyway, when Munna was announced that quote about being pink and with flowers was brought up straight away, so I knew about that one.

The Devon Corporation doesn't really reference the Pokemon themselves but rather what they both can do. Even though Munna and Musharna do not actually do it, it's a machine using their dream smoke.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years

This was actually all the way back when pokemon games were first made. I just thought it's a coincidence but it's still a pretty uncanny resemblance.

Years
    It's really interesting. I had never noticed the references you listed, but they both make sense. However, I agree with Fireworks in that the "visual dreams" reference may be more directly referencing the dream world.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I knew about the first one and I also thought that it couldn't be a coincidence, but on the other hand, what the girl in the previous games describes, is only the colour, and a pattern. The colour pink, and flowers, those are stereotypical interests of a girl, like the colour blue, and cars or gear for boys. It might not be a coincidence, but on the other hand those factors are just what a stereotypical girl would desire in a Pokémon.

Still it would be cool but strange if they had already designed Munna back then when Y/R/B were released, but that seems highly unlikely to me.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    That's quite interesting, actually. I know I've seen the first reference and I seem to recall the second one as well. I'm not sure whether it was coincidence that we finally got that floral colored Pokemon that was hinted at way back when, or if it was planned that way, but now one trainer's dream has come true (no pun intended).

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016

I remember playing and reading this. But really, it is amazing isn't it. I don't think it's really much of a coincidence though, I'm sure Game Freak probably just took from the idea and decided to make it reality.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
    Something that I noticed was that Munna/Musharna's regular moveset is based around Hypnosis/Dream Eater. Those moves were invented in Generation 1. Not sure if this proves anything, since a lot of Gen V pokemon are basically just step-ins for other pokemon (Conkelldur for Machamp, etc.) so maybe they just thought of drowzee when they made this?

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I remember seeing the firered and leafgreen one, but I wasn't really paying attention to the RSE one :P silly me. It just goes to show that GameFreak have been thinking about this stuff for awhile.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Ill have toa gree with YoshiK Im just surprised there was no boy trainers saying how much they wanted a purple Pokemon with a cannon built right in XD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ill have toa gree with YoshiK Im just surprised there was no boy trainers saying how much they wanted a purple Pokemon with a cannon built right in XD

...well considering Pokemon that was probably bound to happen anyway, lol :(

Imo I think despite people saying that Munna could've been designed back in R/B/Y days, I think it's that they actually went back, noticed the girl saying that and were like "oh hey let's design a Pokemon so people can speculate on that!" as for the dream theory, hmmm, not sure they had the idea of the Dream World in development for like 8 years but you never know. :x

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    As for the speculation thing, nobody probably even cared about what a random trainer was saying, so I think it was neglected before the release of BW.

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
    Something that I noticed was that Munna/Musharna's regular moveset is based around Hypnosis/Dream Eater. Those moves were invented in Generation 1. Not sure if this proves anything, since a lot of Gen V pokemon are basically just step-ins for other pokemon (Conkelldur for Machamp, etc.) so maybe they just thought of drowzee when they made this?

Gen V and Gen I have a lot in common, actually: Similar new Pokemon numbers, a "fresh start" (Pokemon didn´t exist as a game before Gen I, did it?^^), a Flying-type trio, a legendary with a Mewtwo-like background and many Pokemon with a similar theme (Conkeldurr/Machamp, Musharna/Hypno, Garbodor/Muk, Swoobat/Golbat and maybe some more...) !^^ But still, it´s pretty intersting how they referred to Munna in the first Gen! Would have never thought that... But the Hoenn reference thing I still remembered (played Hoenn, like, a thousand times over and over again!^^) but it seems to refer more to the Dream World than to Musharna (on the other hand, Musharna IS sort of the Dream World Pokemon...) ...^^ A pretty neat thing to do from Game Freak!^^
    Maybe they DID look at the Gen I games while making the Gen V games...^^ If they´d do something like that in the future... I hope they don´t make the Pokemon that one Bug Catcher from the Battle Hall wanted: A Bug Net Pokemon! *shudder* xD

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Wow, I didn't know about the second. That's pretty neat.

It's kind of scary how early they had designed munna 'cause I'm sure this isn't a coincidence.

To be fair, it's possible they designed it based off the references you mentioned. Or maybe Munna is an old rejected design? xD

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
    In Pokémon Red/Blue, FireRed/LeafGreen, and Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, there have been references to Munna, which didn't exist back when the games were created. I doubt it's just a coincidence... ;p
    First of all, in Red/Blue, and FireRed/LeafGreen, someone says
    "I wish there were pink POKéMON with a floral pattern!" Now look at Munna.

Munna is almost completely
    pink, minus the purple floral pattern. It's kind of scary how early they had designed munna 'cause I'm sure this isn't a coincidence. Do they already have some Generation 10 Pokémon planned out? o.o
    Also, I noticed a less direct, but still pretty obvious, reference to Munna in Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. After getting a POKéNAV from the president guy, I went to leave the building. On the way out, I talked to the scientist dudes, and one of them said,
    "I'm trying to develop a device that visually reproduces the dreams of POKéMON..."
    In Pokémon Black/White Fennel tells you,
    "See, Musharna evolves from Munna. So, seeing Munna in trouble, it used it's power--making dreams into reality--to save Munna"
    A little later, Fennel says the dream mist is used to retrieve memories of sleeping Pokémon; making dreams into reality. Visually reproducing the dreams, exactly what the scientist wanted to do.

I just wanted to point this out because I thought it was really cool.
    :D
    Proof:

I did not know they actually said that in the old games.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    That's probably why the man said the machine for dreams wasn't working. He didn't have dream mist, as he's in a different reason.
    But yes. I recalled those when I first caught munna. It's impressive really

Back