• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Regarding signatures

Years
  • A single signature should not be displayed twice on the same page. If someone posts twice on the same page then only the most recent post should have a signature attached. This would only apply to pages in a thread, but not the entire thread. Adding this feature would reduce repetitive clutter without placing limitations on users.

A conversation between two people would display the same two sigs something like 13 times per page. With this in place those same signatures would be displayed only twice, which is as much as is necessary.

Anyone coming from Gaia will know what I'm laying down.

Optionally, a check box on the "Miscellaneous Options" could disable the feature on individual posts. A check box would be useful for important posts in a thread such as the very first one made by the thread creator. The check box would be unchecked by default.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well, with our new signature rules it's kinda pretty fair in the sense of there aren't many blinding (if they're blinding we'd disable them) or huge ones that'll severely distort your view because that's against the rules.

There's also the fact that in options @ usercp, when you unclick "Show Signatures" you can disable them entirely. Some people use signatures purely for show rather than information and as a result think their posts look better with signatures shown below every post, or something like that (I personally don't mind but yeah).

As for the check box, I'm pretty sure that'd be difficult to code because by default in our own forums (for staff that is) at the top of each post we have a check box that we tick if we want to do something with a certain post. So I dunno where that'd be placed in the actual posts other than right next to a signature which would look somewhat awkward as a whole.

Perhaps it could be made as an additional option where people can choose to only display signatures once but having it as a set in stone feature, yeah not really a fan of that. :(

Years
  • Perhaps it could be made as an additional option where people can choose to only display signatures once but having it as a set in stone feature, yeah not really a fan of that. :(
    Good point!

I didn't quite get what you were saying about the check boxes, but OK.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Oh right, I meant that as seen in this screenshot that if there were a check box on each post to disable them, then I'm not sure where else it would be placed, if I understood you correctly. If there was an option in usercp where you can input userids separated by commas of signatures you wanted to only display once, then that'd probably be easier to deal with, though as a whole harder to code I'd figure.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    This isn't very hard to implement and makes an excellent compromise between no signatures and every signature, for when you want to cut down on a lot of clutter on the page and still see things in sigs that might be useful or informative. Although I'd say the signature should rather be appended to the oldest post on a page to reduce clutter towards the end of the page which have the most active discussion.

There's no reason not to implement this option.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    *starts to wonder whether "Signature Display" could be moved to right after "Visible Post Elements", or whether it could be used to replace the original "Show Signature" check box in "Visible Post Elements"*

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Nope. vBulletin's default options are inexplicably unable to be located and must be together with its other default options.

Oops. Now I wonder whether there's an add-on to circumvent it... Or maybe you're mentioning it because no such add-on exists.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm not sure it matters enough to go search out an add-on just to move where it is.

Back