• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Releasing a Pokemon, it comes back!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
  • I was clearing out my boxes on my Diamond Version, so I was releasing Pokemon that I didn't really need... like hatched Pokemon that didn't have good stats/natures & Pokemon that I caught just for data. I eventually came to a Tentacool & tried to release it. It faded away (like all released Pokemon do), but then faded back in! A message "Tentacool came back! Was it worried about you?" appeared. This was the very first time this has happened to me on a game. Has it happened to anyone else?

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • Did it fade back as soon as you released it or some time later? I wonder if it has something to do with the happiness factor...

Years
  • I've heard about this. What I heard is that it has to do with HM's. If you have a pokemon that knows an HM, and it's the only one, you won't be able to release it. Does the Tentacool know any HM's? If you delete them, you should be able to release it.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    It has happened to me in my Sapphire with a Wailord.

At first I thought it was because it had HM moves I needed, but after teaching them to another Pokemon, it still came back XD

I was like all "awwwww" And kept it XP

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2008
    that happened to me and corsala.

also, the move deleter wouldnt dlete swampets surf, because swamperst was not willing to.

huh/

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2014
    You can't release any pokemon that know an HM move. Have the move deleter get rid of the HM move first, then you'll find you can release it to the wild with no problem.

It's the same reasoning behind why you can't migrate pokemon that know an HM move either. It's the games way of keeping you from being trapped in a place with no way to progress.

Cid

Years
  • That happened to me in my Diamond too when I tried to release my newly evolved Chimecho...

Maybe it has something to do with happiness? Since Chingling evolved into Chimecho by happiness at night...

Years
  • You can't release any pokemon that know an HM move. Have the move deleter get rid of the HM move first, then you'll find you can release it to the wild with no problem.

It's the same reasoning behind why you can't migrate pokemon that know an HM move either. It's the games way of keeping you from being trapped in a place with no way to progress.

Ah, that would make sense.

I can't say I've ever tried releasing a HM pokemon before. I guess not many people do for said reasons. I guess the programmers couldn't put pokemon capable of cutting in every area, for example.

WaluigiRedclaw91

Alt/Original Page of: Haza
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2010
    That happened to me and Bibarel, I thought it was because it was my first caught pokemon

Cid

Years
  • BTW, I just tried it with my newly-caught Kricketune with Cut and guess what?

It happened.

So maybe it's really because of HM's...

Years
  • It's the same reasoning behind why you can't migrate pokemon that know an HM move either. It's the games way of keeping you from being trapped in a place with no way to progress.

That is incorrect. You can't Migrate a pokemon with HMs because HMs have different numbers from the GBA games to Diamond/Pearl. And Some of the HMs in the GBA games do not exist in Diamond/Pearl.

If you were "trapped" all you have to do is teach the "lost" HM to another pokemon, or reset the game.

Sweet Speed

Smile...
    Years
  • Everyone who gets it right gets a cookie from me ^^.

The problem is to do with Hms, the reason is that your Pokemon is the only one with a certain Hm in your game. If you teach another Pokemon that HM then you should be able to release the 1st one.

(That was a typeful :P)

Back