• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Relicanth: Does it ever open its eyes? o.0;

Does Relicanth ever open its eyes?

• Yes

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Nope.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Dunno. *shrugs*

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Eyes??? HUH??? DID I MISS SOMETHING??? XD

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

Iron Tiff

OBJECTION!
    Years
    I was wondering what others think about this. I've seen countless pics of Relicanth, but I recently noticed its eyes are always shut. XD

My guess is that it's because of the real-life fish it was based on, the coelacanth. There's a special structure in its eyes that allows for improved night vision, much like that of cats and dogs. But because it lives deep down in the sea, it's extremely sensitive to light, and therefore can't be caught during the day.

Is this why Relicanth hasn't been seen with open eyes? What do you think?

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2008
    Haha! That is a good question. Well, I supose' the question "Does Takeshi ever open his eyes?" could be asked.
    Actually, there are a number of other pokemon with those seemingly 'un-openable' eyes.

I must say though, your theory sounds quite scientific! Kudos to your knowledge about the coelacanth!

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    My theory is that its eyes are always open.

However it only looks open to a person with a pure heart (meaning; none of us).

Iron Tiff

OBJECTION!
    Years
    I've noticed that with other Pokemon, as well as Brock. (Makuhita, Cyndaquil, Swinub, Gulpin, etc.) I found Relicanth to be the most interesting of them, since it's based on the real-life coelacanth. And it's one of my faves. XD

I also think it opens its eyes under certain conditions due to the simple fact that it has eyelids. XD

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
    Years
    I believe that it's eyes are indeed open, its just the way that they are designed. Their eyes aren't close, the slit that encases their eyes is just incredibly thin.

Also, Brock's eyes are open, just not wide.

Psycho

Iron Tiff

OBJECTION!
    Years
    Psycho said:
    I believe that it's eyes are indeed open, its just the way that they are designed. Their eyes aren't close, the slit that encases their eyes is just incredibly thin.

Also, Brock's eyes are open, just not wide.

Psycho

This could be true. It does fit fairly well to my original theory of the coelacanth's sensitive eyes, which explains why it's always seen squinting. But anything can be true I suppose. XD

I actually guessed that about Brock, since he can see his surroundings rather well. (and all the pretty ladies he loves so much... XD)

Chiru

I dun use this account any mo'
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    Cyndaquil never opens its eyes either. o_o And I don't think I've ever seen Torkoal or Dunsparce with open eyes. It's probably just another Pokemon that always looks like it has its eyes shut.

redpikachu2

kratos is very cool
    Years
    • Age 31
    • y
    • Seen Jul 15, 2006
    yea now if u think of it most of the pokemon have there eyes close..0.o..

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
    Years
    redpikachu2 said:
    yea now if u think of it most of the pokemon have there eyes close..0.o..
    Wrong. :3 Most Pokemon's eyes are open .. its just a select few that have their eyes closed.

Wouldn't keeping open eyes un-wide be squinting?

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
    Years
    Wouldn't keeping open eyes un-wide be squinting?
    It depends, squinting has another meaning when speaking of vision. Squint could refer to strabismus (squint-eyed), a visual defect; though, brock doesn't have it. Squint, too, means to look with eyes partly closed; though Brock doesn't do that either.

Brock's eyes are just designed that way. They are open, just narrow - Brock has narrow eyes. Brock isn't squinting, since his eyes are constantly like that (aside from slumber) and if he were squinting, then he'd be squinting constantly, which take plethora of muscle activity and stamina to constantly uphold.

Psycho

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
    Years
    Psycho said:
    It depends, squinting has another meaning when speaking of vision. Squint could refer to strabismus (squint-eyed), a visual defect; though, brock doesn't have it. Squint, too, means to look with eyes partly closed; though Brock doesn't do that either.

Brock's eyes are just designed that way. They are open, just narrow - Brock has narrow eyes. Brock isn't squinting, since his eyes are constantly like that (aside from slumber) and if he were squinting, then he'd be squinting constantly, which take plethora of muscle activity and stamina to constantly uphold.

Psycho
    But its not impossible now, is it? :3 In Detective School Kyu, Kenta (no, this is not Gold, nor Pokemon's Kenta) squints his eyes like that to get a Zoom vision of some sort. o O;;
    But anyway, relating to the actual question - Relicanth really doesn't open its eyes. It has them, but it won't open them. And as for the darkness in the sea thing, a lot of creatures of the deep open their eyes WIDE to view their surroundings. Light doesn't penetrate that far into the ocean.

~Rene~

Pearlshipping Fan!
    Years
    No. I don't think it opened its eyes. Just like Brock, Swinub, Makuhita, Cyndaquil, Snorlax and Skitty.

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
    Or perhaps a brown eyelid is not accounted for and it sees like the alligator. Even so, it's got to see, so it has narrow eyes — look at Skitty.

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
    Years
    But its not impossible now, is it? :3 In Detective School Kyu, Kenta (no, this is not Gold, nor Pokemon's Kenta) squints his eyes like that to get a Zoom vision of some sort. o O;;
    Yes, it is impossible. Notice that Brock's dad, and all of his brothers and sisters have the same eyes; its a family trait - probably genetic.

By the way guys, fish don't have eyelids (except for sharks). >_>;

Edit: Brock has the stereotypical Asian eyes. They are drawn in slits, just as Snorlax and Munchlax.

Psycho

Last edited:

Iron Tiff

OBJECTION!
    Years
    By the way guys, fish don't have eyelids (except for sharks). >_>;

Psycho

True, but we must remember that Pokemon aren't exactly like real-life animals. Examples are Goldeen and Tentacool (it blinks in its Crystal Version animation)

I say Relicanth is like these 2 and has eyelids. But hey, that's just me. XD

Back