• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Religion in Video Games

Years
  • Religion in Video Games

Religion in Video Games

Note: If there is any form of abuse to another persons religious beliefs, it will be an instant infraction.

This has been a topic in which media has been brushing up against every so often. The idea that having religious icons, symbols, places in video games is wrong and in insult to the religion that it has taken the image from.
    There have been a couple of games that have been set in a cathedral, in a holy city, taking on the role of a Greek God and so on.

~But what I propose to you, is it right that games companies can use these religious places/symbols/idols/Gods or anything related to a religious cult?
    ~Do you think the media are taking it too far?
    ~Is there a line in which you can use religious symbols in a game before it gets offensive?

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2013
    ~But what I propose to you, is it right that games companies can use these religious places/symbols/idols/Gods or anything related to a religious cult?
    ~Is there a line in which you can use religious symbols in a game before it gets offensive?

Wow great questions, Fabio, here are my thoughts on the topic:

The following is my own opinion and is not intended to offend...

~ I think that anything in the public domain is fair game to be portrayed by games companies and in games, and of course any aspects of humanity such as art, history, folklore or religion. Religious imagery has been cropping up in television shows, books, articles and websites, is it any different that now they re showing up in our video games too? We have to remember that religious imagery and references have been made throughout history in paintings, novels and film, and since video games are simply a new form of media, I believe that it shows great growth in the art form if we are able to use such imagery, because this is what separates videogaming from being 'a toy' to being 'an expression'. So if God of War want to portray the violent disemboweling and beheadings of ancient gods, and if Assassin's Creed wants to put forward that and omniscient omnipresent and omnipotent god only exists because of human foolishness, then I say more power to them both.

~Its the nature of the media to take things to far, I teach high school media and I'm always going on about the sensationalizing of issues in the media, because we have to remember that the media companies are just that, companies. They have a story to sell to you, and by god they are going to make it look delicious. The media often take this TOO far though, as we can see in pop culture, remember when the Da Vinci Code came out, how much that was sensationalized by the media and swallowed by the religious groups? The media neglected to mention that it was a story, and claimed that it was pushing an opinion and view. What about the comic of Mohammed that appeared in a newspaper? The media neglected to mention that it is the JOB of the media to promote free speech and instead chose to show how dangerous it could be simply to appease fundamentalists.

~I think that where we are in history right now, it is quite offensive to some people if we do portray religious imagery negatively, but again looking at history, the problem would have been worse 200 years ago, perhaps in 200 years (hopefully sooner) we might be able to freely use religious imagery however we please, but in the mean time we need to remember where challenging or joking ends, and where attacking and vilifying begin. I mean as long as we don't release games with titles like JESUS' CRUCIFIXION ADVENTURE, BOMBERMAN: SAUDI ARABIA, HUNGRY HUNGRY BUDDHA, or VISHNU'S PATTYCAKE MAYHEM, then we should be fine.

The media just needs to quit sensationalizing trivialities and so we can take steps forward, rather than scaring us into taking steps backwards.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years

• Note: If there is any form of abuse to another persons religious beliefs, it will be an instant infraction.

This has been a topic in which media has been brushing up against every so often. The idea that having religious icons, symbols, places in video games is wrong and in insult to the religion that it has taken the image from.
    There have been a couple of games that have been set in a cathedral, in a holy city, taking on the role of a Greek God and so on.

Is it right that vido game companies can ue religous matrial?

Yeah, I mean, its their game. They can put whatever they want in it. If a video game can criticize poltics and government, they can do it with religion. We don't have to agree with them.

Is the media taking it too far?

No, not really.

Is there a line where religous symbols become offensive?

Hmmmm.......I really don't think I would ever become offended by games using legitiment religous symbols.

Religion isn't really a big problem to me. I'm Catholic (loosely, Ihavent been to Mass in like, 3 years) and if I ever hear people bashing Catholics, or whatever, I just prove them wrong. (Its only when they say things that are untrue that bother me) If they have legit, educated opinions and complaints about Cathilicism, I hear them out but usually they are just complaining about minor things. (Why is it such a big deal we confess to the Priest? It really doesnt matter)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Why couldn't use just say related to a "religion"? Why does it have to be a "religious cult"?

Anyway, religions exist so I think they're fair game for any kind of media. Not bothered by it. I like the way Assassin's Creed has a little disclaimer at start up. Not even necessary, really. But its kind of a nice touch.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    ~ I think that anything in the public domain is fair game to be portrayed by games companies and in games, and of course any aspects of humanity such as art, history, folklore or religion. Religious imagery has been cropping up in television shows, books, articles and websites, is it any different that now they re showing up in our video games too? We have to remember that religious imagery and references have been made throughout history in paintings, novels and film, and since video games are simply a new form of media, I believe that it shows great growth in the art form if we are able to use such imagery, because this is what separates videogaming from being 'a toy' to being 'an expression'. So if God of War want to portray the violent disemboweling and beheadings of ancient gods, and if Assassin's Creed wants to put forward that and omniscient omnipresent and omnipotent god only exists because of human foolishness, then I say more power to them both.

I think the difference between the different kinds of media is interactivity. While most books, movies, etc that use religion treat it pretty tastefully, imagine for example going inside a church in a world where you have the ability to blow up entire building or trash the entire chapel. Because you can interact with the imagery in an offensive way, that changes how it's portrayed.

That being said, I still think religion isn't a problem in video games as of yet. Once you get to mythologies that most people don't believe in, it's barely offensive haha.

Back