• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Relying on Resistances- Platinum OU

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Overview

Unfortunately, Platinum's been a lot more difficult to cope with now, but I've been having slight success with this team against the likes of good PC Battlers (and Smogon) I know using Electivire on this site is sort of taboo, but the way people ridiculously fling around Electric attacks aimed at Vaporeon is quite interesting. I doubt Electivire would complain about getting a nice Motor Drive boost. Scizor is the main form of physical offense, considering that most of my team is special based. Tyranitar really has shined by trapping things and even hitting things on the switch with its ridiculously powerful Stone Edge. Gengar is my main insurance against Salamence and the like, although Scizor's Bullet Punch leaves a dent and can hurt it locked in Outrage. Vaporeon is my only true answer to Gyarados, although Gengar outruns Adamant ones after 2 Dragon Dances.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
    Jolly
    252 Att/252 Spe/6 HP
    Stealth Rock
    Taunt/Fire Punch
    Zen Headbutt
    Explosion

Lol Text: Pretty much my only option as a suicide lead. Explosion coming off a Base 125 Attack is scary to basically anyone, even to resistant targets. Taunt is my current option, but Fire Punch can do a good chunk to Scizor and Forretress. Luckily for me, Aerodactyl hasn't seen much usage, so I don't have to worry about being Taunted as much ^___^

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    Adamant
    184 HP/252 Att/74 Spe
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Pursuit

Lol Text: My favorite physical threat =D. Stone Edge and Crunch from this guy hurts like hell-even when it's resisted. Pursuit is there for that lovely OHKO on things like Shadow Ball trapped ScarfGar and such. His place on the team was pretty much non-negotiable since I absolutely love using this specific set. Wish support lets him hurt more things over a given period of time.

Electivire @ Life Orb
    Hasty
    76 Att/252 SpA/182 Spe
    Cross Chop
    HP Grass
    Thunderbolt
    Flamethrower

Lol Text: Believe it or not, Electivire's won me a majority of my matches. The sheer unexpected entrance of it really startles an opponent, and as they switch to a physical wall, BAM, Thunderbolt strips about half its health off. It's also a very unreliable Scizor *check* since it lives even a LO SD Bullet Punch. HP Grass since I haven't found dragons very threatening to this guy, as Thunderbolt does a good amount anyway. HP Grass lets me OHKO Rhyperior, Swampert, etc...which is extremely important.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Bold
    252 HP/252 Def/6 SpA
    Surf
    HP Electric
    Wish
    Protect

Lol Text: Vaporeon offers excellent Wish support and a reliable Gyarados counter. Surf and HP Electric let me tango with Mixape and Gyarados, but it also lets me stall out such foes that include non-CM Suicune and Heatran. Overall, Vaporeon is reliable, but not gonna be sweeping teams anytime soon.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
    Timid
    252 SpA/252 Spe/6 HP
    Focus Blast
    Shadow Ball
    HP Ice
    Thunderbolt

Lol Text: My main form of revenge killing. With Max Speed and a Timid nature, even an Adamant Gyarados with 2 Dragon Dances cannot outspeed me. HP Ice and Thunderbolt offer a form of "BoltBeam" letting me handle Gyarados, Salamence, and Dragonite. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast offer unparalled coverage that takes out things like Tyranitar, foe Gengar, Lucario, and Cresselia.

Scizor @ Life Orb
    Adamant
    74 HP/252 Att/184 Spe
    Swords Dance
    Bullet Punch
    X-Scissor
    Roost

Lol Text:Here he is. The main star of the show. Scizor went from absolute gimmick garbage to absolute superb sweeper. Bullet Punch + X-Scissor offer two excellent STABs, walled only by steel types (however, after 2 Sword Dances, Bullet Punch 2HKO's Bronzong, Metagross, etc...and OHKO's Lucario) X-Scissor after a Swords Dance is beastly, ripping apart Cresselia, Tyranitar, etc...

Last edited:

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I like this team, no glaring weaknesses out there to me. However:

252+184Atk EVs>252 Atk evs

Just pointing it out. You meant 184 HP, I presume?

Years
    • Age 14
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    Jolly is +Speed -SpAtk so it doesn't effect Explosion.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I can see a slight Tyranitar weakness here. Also Aqua Tail > Earthquake on your own Tar.

What does Aqua Tail do? Hurt Hippowdon? Hippowdon's usage is so low it doesn't concern me, and on neutral targets AND super effective targets, Earthquake is stronger. Plus EQ helps me NOT be walled by steel types.

Back