• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Removing the US First Amendment?

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • I've been seeing advertisements pop up all over YouTube trying to convice people to repeal and get rid of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and scarily enough it seems to be working. This is my opinion (though I see it as fact), but I can be certain that this is some total bullcrap spurred on by a few corporate giants to nail a law that they could profit better without, as I think they've gotten as far as they can get with creating new phoney laws. This so-called "movement" is telling me that the mindlessness of people in this country is at a large focal point.

What do you think of this as a corporate-initiated political movement?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Repealing the first amendment is not a good idea at all. I don't know why these people would want this. Here's a reminder of what the First Amendment says:
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    It would essentially get rid of free speech, press, freedom of religion and the right to peacefully protest. Im pretty sure this amendment is not going to be thrown out anytime soon.

Years
  • Removing the First Amendment would make the US a totalitarian state, not far off from the fascist and authoritarian regimes of the 20th Century. I don't see the point.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Dunno if it is a corporation-led "movement". Based on the guy's YouTube channel he seems to be new world order type fella, conspiracy theorist, and run of the mill pain in the ass.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    This has to be an IRL troll. I remember posting a thread about this before.

BlaqJester

Guru
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2013
    people fall for these smokescreens and dont know whats goin on that why they agree with abolishing the first amendment. The constitution was created to never be messed with and now our political leaders crap all over it for their benefits.This conspiracy is real we are actually stock in the US. People are sucked into the television far too much.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • people fall for these smokescreens and dont know whats goin on that why they agree with abolishing the first amendment. The constitution was created to never be messed with and now our political leaders crap all over it for their benefits.This conspiracy is real we are actually stock in the US. People are sucked into the television far too much.

I disagree- a Constitution is not a sacred book, set in stone, to never be changed again, as the fact that it has amendments should suggest. The French Republic, stablished around the same time the US were, has had 5 Constitutions during its life and they all agreed on the basics: freedom, equality, etc. The institutions and political procedures were different, as the circumstances were changing as well.

This said, removing the barrier between Religion and the State leads to either a Theocracy or a very corrupt democracy as religious leaders will feel even more legitimated to push their beliefs onto laws than they already are.

Years
  • I tend to agree with Went. But alas the US Constitution does have it's positives. It allows a diverse group of states to follow a National Government.

On the First Amendment thing, the only reason I'd be willing to amend it is to overturn the Citizens United ruling that equates money with speech. Otherwise leave it alone.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The strength of the Constitution is in its flexibility. Imagine where we would be today if all the amendment to the Constitution didn't exist at all - they're there to keep the Constitution strong, and even the first amendment is the Constitution being 'messed with' technically.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • He rings true in a lot of places for me; like it or not, the general public, of not just america but the whole world, is going dumb. Television and the internet are starting to create a public where people don't really care about politics, or at least don't even have a little knowledge about it. He may be a conspiracy theorist (check wikipedia) but this particular video I agree with. People need to start getting interested in their world again.

EDIT: Oh yeah, could you give a few links on how people are trying to get rid of the first amendment? haven't seen any of those...

Years
  • This sounds like one of those people trying to make a point about how people don't know anything about how government works, like when someone went around asking for women to sign a petition to end women's suffrage. [Suffrage, meaning the ability to vote, has nothing to do with suffering. The words just sound similar.] Totally a joke/scam/troll/etc. Freedom to speak and criticize your government is so fundamental to a free society that doing away with it would invite totalitarian.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • I don't get it. If you're going to remove free speech, you do realize you're not going to benefit from that, right?

But nonetheless, what above poster said.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • erm
    what
    seriously

Freedom is what the United States is known for. We're allowed to say whatever we want and believe whatever we want, and protest when we're upset with something, and I think that's pretty important. And if this is in fact sponsored by corporation-giants, they need to step off and stop trying to mess everything up, seriously.

this is, most likely, a troll but there are my thoughts on it anyway

Back