• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Lokiman42

Water Type > Dragon Type
Years
  • I'd personally go with hidden power electric. But I try to avoid smogon movesets... they're all too predictable. But they do "seem" to work the best.

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    I was going to.... Until I discovered evolving it to vaporeon changed it's HP to steel. So unfortunately It's Ice beam for me. (The base stats were too good to pass up)

Jukain-Arashi

PM me for Lockerz invitation.
    Years
  • I just bred myself a Naive Ghastly with these IVs: 31/2/31/30/26/30 @ HP Fire 70.
    I plan on using this set for it:

Gengar @ Life Orb
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Protect
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Smogon recommends using a Timid nature, but I'd like to know if a Naive nature is also acceptable.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I just bred myself a Naive Ghastly with these IVs: 31/2/31/30/26/30 @ HP Fire 70.
    I plan on using this set for it:

Gengar @ Life Orb
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Protect
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Smogon recommends using a Timid nature, but I'd like to know if a Naive nature is also acceptable.
    Naive is fine as well, usually you'll be taking advantage of your immunities instead of defenses.

BlackRay

The other trainer.
    Years
  • Rotom @ un excepted item
    Unkown IVs yet
    Lax nature
    Levitate
    - Thunder
    - Confuse Ray
    - Ominous wind
    - Discharge

I was thinking of a subsitute set... but I guess it needs improvements. The ivs are great though so what would be best for a SPATK set?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Rotom @ un excepted item
    Unkown IVs yet
    Lax nature
    Levitate
    - Thunder
    - Confuse Ray
    - Ominous wind
    - Discharge

I was thinking of a subsitute set... but I guess it needs improvements. The ivs are great though so what would be best for a SPATK set?
    Rotom-A @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 128 HP / 168 SpA / 212 Speed
    Nature: Timid (+ Speed / - Atk)
    - Charge Beam
    - Substitute
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power Fighting

↑ Much better, Thunder has awful accuracy so it has no use unless you plan on using this on a Rain Dance team or Ubers. And since you wanted a Substitute set, SubCharge works really nice. Shadow Ball > Ominous Wind because of the higher PP, higher base power, and honestly Ominous Wind's effect happens so rare which makes Shadow Ball a superior option. Hidden Power Fighting for Tyranitar mainly, and it helps 2HKO Calm Blissey after +6 boosts. 128 HP EVs allow Rotom to take any of Blissey's attacks easily, while 212 Speed is to outrun Jolly Mamoswine and Adamant Lucario.

And sadly, Lax is one the worst natures to have, as it boost Defense, but drops Special Defense making you venerable to bulky Waters, resisted attacks like SpecsJolt's Thunderbolt, etc.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Use wolfs set, or this.

(Rotom-f) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP/188 Spd/68 SAtk
    Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Pain Split
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt / Discharge
    - Will-o-wisp

AQUILINUS

Life, so insignificant
    Years
  • Curse Strategy(Advanced Strategy)HELP

After playing against opponents wielding pokemon of varying types and in different strategies, I couldn't employ my pokemon in a way in which it can use curse effectively(Umbreon).

I also get really annoyed when my opponent does it like it is a piece of cake to him/her, then completely vaporizing me without leaving any traces of destruction.(Metaphorically or figuratively, it makes me cry thinking about it, jk jk)

So I would really appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me in strategies involving curse, pretty please, 'cause I want to use all kinds of strategies in my teams but I just can't get the hang of cursing!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!
    T.T

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • After playing against opponents wielding pokemon of varying types and in different strategies, I couldn't employ my pokemon in a way in which it can use curse effectively(Umbreon).

I also get really annoyed when my opponent does it like it is a piece of cake to him/her, then completely vaporizing me without leaving any traces of destruction.(Metaphorically or figuratively, it makes me cry thinking about it, jk jk)

So I would really appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me in strategies involving curse, pretty please, 'cause I want to use all kinds of strategies in my teams but I just can't get the hang of cursing!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!
    T.T

As with any curser, you have to make sure you scout for counters and make sure they're out of the way before you start trying to set up, otherwise they'll just wall/phaze/KO you easily. Umbreon hates bug/fighting types that can just hit right through it or steel types that can't be touched by Payback, so make sure you pay attention to what kind of pokemon your opponent brings out during the course of the battle. You should have a way to deal with these threats so Umbreon can set up.

BlackRay

The other trainer.
    Years
  • Ivve been excpecting a BRAND new member fresh and bulky.
    I was thinking Golem for main defenses. Can I get good info for a defensive Golem?

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2010
    I have a question..

I have a lvl 5 timid Eevee, and I wanted to know when I should evolve it into a jolteon?

should I do it right away at lvl 5?

Advice would be appreciative!

also, a competitive moveset suggestion would be nice :)

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Ivve been excpecting a BRAND new member fresh and bulky.
    I was thinking Golem for main defenses. Can I get good info for a defensive Golem?

Golem @ Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    252 HP / 4 Att / 252 Def
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic / Roar

Don't use this outside of NU battles otherwise "I am inferior to Rhyperior in every way possible." Since it runs the same exact set a hell of a lot better.

I have a question..

I have a lvl 5 timid Eevee, and I wanted to know when I should evolve it into a jolteon?

should I do it right away at lvl 5?

Advice would be appreciative!

also, a competitive moveset suggestion would be nice :)

It doesn't really matter when you evolve it in terms of EV training it, so do it whenever you like ^__^

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
    Timid
    4 Def / 252 Sp Att / 252 Speed
    - Thunderbolt
    - HP Grass / HP Ice
    - Shadow Ball
    - Baton Pass

This is a very popular set for Jolteon, Thunderbolt hits most things very hard and everything else provides good coverage. Baton Pass is for "dry passing" and helps you scout your opponents switch ins. You can also do a Life Orb set, just replace Baton Pass with Charge Beam

Is it unfair to use a Rotom and not tell your opponent?

If it's on wifi and your opponent is still using Diamond or Pearl, I don't believe the Rotom Formes show up, they just appear as regular Rotoms. I suppose it would be unfair if you didn't tell him or her what type of forme it was, but that's up to you and your opponent. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with using Rotom.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    So would a good Shaymin-S set be:

Shaymin-S @ Yache Berry
    Timid nature
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Speed
    -Growth
    -Seed Flare
    -Air Slash
    -Earth Power

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    After one Growth what can Skymin do to Ubers to threats? After two?
    "Growth is an interesting choice, as the Special Attack boost it provides will net Shaymin-S several KOs that it would otherwise miss. For example, after one use of Growth, Garchomp will always be OHKOed by Seed Flare, while Palkia will always be OHKOed by Seed Flare after taking damage from Stealth Rock. Offensive Dialga will always be OHKOed by a +1 Earth Power, Max HP Dialga will have a 66% chance of being OHKOed by a +1 Earth Power after taking damage from Stealth Rock, and specially defensive Dialga will always be 2HKOed by a +1 Earth Power. Rayquaza will have a 53% chance of being 2HKOed by a boosted Air Slash after Stealth Rock, and will be KOed by its own Life Orb recoil if Air Slash does not KO." from Smogon.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    After playing against opponents wielding pokemon of varying types and in different strategies, I couldn't employ my pokemon in a way in which it can use curse effectively(Umbreon).

PLEASE HELP!!!
    T.T

In addition to what Aura said, i find Cursers work exceptionally well with entry hazards, mainly because if they have a problem pokemon which is going to stop your sweep its going to get worn down by them and eventually fall.

See : Curse + Fire Punch + Body Slam Snorlax has problems with Tar. If you start stacking up Spikes, SR + Toxic Spikes then Tar will not last long. Additionally Lucario is going to get worn down by Spikes and so is Machamp and suddenly you find holes to exploit.

All defensive stat uppers appreciate entry hazard support too really. For example with SR + Toxic Spikes up surprisingly little stops things like CroCune from ravaging teams outside of Latias tbh. SR stops things like Mence and Gyarados and Toxic Spikes stop water types.

VanillaThunderbolt

Generic User Title
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    Rate My [Platinum] Battle Frontier Team~

staraptor.png

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
    Intimidate Ability
    Adamant Nature
    156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Speed
    ~ Brave Bird
    ~ Double-Edge / Return
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ U-Turn
    Staraptor makes an incredible lead. Intimidate hinders all the physical leads, excluding Hyper Cutters and Clear Body users. Still, Staraptor's 133 Speed becomes 200, which means it Out speeds EVERYTHING, excluding Ninjask or some Yanmega after Speed Boost, or anything that may spam Speed increasing moves. Either way, this Speed is guaranteed to ensure Staraptor will make the first hit, barring Speed Priority moves of course.
    I wish I could get more creative with the move set, but I couldn't. Brave Bird and Double-Edge are reliable STAB moves with tremendous power, and are great for a late game kill. Close Combat is Staraptor's next strongest move, and covers a good amount of what Normal/Flying runs from, as well as OHKOing all Tyranitar sets. U-Turn is used for a hit and run strategy. If I see something Staraptor fears, or doesn't easily KO, I run. Return is a possible substitute for Double-Edge, as it provides a reliable STAB move, without recoil.
    If I decide to switch, it's usually only because the Poke I bring in will only take a scratch from what was aimed at Staraptor. This lead relies a lot on team synergy in the sense that Staraptor's weaknesses are resisted by its allies. For example, if I expect an Electric move, or the ever popular Thunder-Wave, go to Electivire for a good Motor Drive sweep. If there's a Rock or Ice move, switch to Lucario, who takes both types with ease.
    The EVs are simply enough to make Staraptor fast enough to out speed everything, again, excluding Ninjask and some Yanmega after Speed boost or anything using Speed increasing moves, maximum Attack, and the rest in HP.
    lucario_04.gif

Lucario @ Salac Berry
    Inner Focus Ability
    Adamant Nature
    76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Speed
    ~ Endure
    ~ Reversal
    ~ Shadow Claw
    ~ Bullet Punch
    Endure + Reversal + Salac = Win. Always has, and unless the rumored 5th Generation does some outrageous damage to the game, it always will. Either way, it owns this Gen, and that's all I care about. Lucario, as aforementioned, switches in on Ice and Rock moves with ease. The best part of Rock moves being hurled at Lucario is it has a 4x resistance, and usually gets an Earthquake aimed at it right after. That's ample time to use Endure.
    Speaking of which, I forgot a part of the equation I used to describe Lucario. Endure + STAB Reversal + Salac = Win. STAB Reversal at maximum power packs a 300 Power punch. The Salac Berry does exactly what the Choice Scarf's Speed Boost did for Staraptor by the way, in the sense that it becomes faster then everything. Bullet Punch is to damage the other Pokemon packing Speed Priority moves who completely destroy the whole sweep. Shadow Claw was a newly added move. Originally, I had Earthquake, but I got annoyed by Ghost-Types like Dusclops who like to spam Double Team. Shadow Claw makes quick of those threats, or at least quicker than usual. [Usually for a 2 or 3HKO]. Added Bonus, Ghost + Fighting = Neutral Coverage on all Pokemon.
    The EVs are, again, just like Staraptor's. The Speed puts it at that faster-than-everything level, max Attack, and the rest in HP.
    I'd also like to add that the Lucario I used in my run-through had Steadfast, which made me realize how much more useful Inner Focus would be. I don't need ANOTHER Speed boost, and I'd rather have the opportunity to land an Attack instead.
    electivire.png

Electivire @ Life Orb
    Motor Drive Ability
    Adamant Nature
    116 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Speed
    ~ ThunderPunch
    ~ Ice Punch
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Cross Chop / Brick Break[?]
    You know what makes me mad? The fact that Electivire doesn't get Bulk Up. I could have sworn that I saw one in the Frontier use Bulk Up, but I must have imagined it. Oh well. Anyway, for any Electric attacks Staraptor draws in, Thunder Wave being the most popular so far, Electivire absorbs them for a Speed boost. If you haven't guessed, the Speed Boost makes Electivire out speed everything, excluding Speed Boost blah blah blah.
    Thunder/Ice Punch for STAB and coverage respectively. Simple, right? Ice Punch owns the Ground Types that threaten it, and ThunderPunch owns the ever popular Gyarados. Cross Chop so far has never missed. Not once. I have no idea why, but it just hasn't. Brick Break may just be better if my luck runs out, as well as being able to break through Reflect/Light Screen. I feel like 3 Fighting Moves on the team is too much, but it seemed like the most versatile choice for the move sets, so no harm done I guess.
    The EVs are de ja vu. Speed, enough to out speed. Max Attack. Rest in HP. Boom.
    That was a terrible 3rd paragraph. I'll make up for it with this one. At first, I had Electivire as a Choice Band user, but then got stalled into using Earthquake on a Gyarados on Battle 48. No more. Besides, 2 Choice Sets is too much. Life Orb gives off about 85% of the damage Choice Band did, but with more versatility, or in other words, the versatility to save my streak.

Final Thoughts~
    The best part about this team is the amount of fun I have juggling it around to abuse Staraptor's Intimidate and set up sweeps on unsuspecting computer Pokemon. Staraptor 3-0's so many teams it isn't funny. Sure, it usually kills itself in the process, but who cares? I'm healed between fights, and just keep going with the Kamikaze. Hm... I like that as a nickname. I'll have to change that...
    On a bad note, this team has the immediate flaw of being an all physical, one way, straight forward team. All 3 Pokes go for some sort of physical sweep. So that means this team has one big weakness. Pokemon who bounce off physical attacks, and set up Calm Minds and spam Moonlight and don't die no matter how many times Shadow Claw gets a critical hit.
    Cresselia. She messes me up. All by itself it destroys the whole team. Because of that, Palmer KOs me. Honestly, that's the ONLY thing that gave me trouble. I'm trying to find a way to edit the team in order to overcome this weakness, but I can't seem to find a way.
    Overall, I love this team, even if it can't take the Gold. Setting up Electivire sweeps by predicting Thunder Waves is fun, and always puts a smile on my face. Because of that, I love the Staraptor / Electivire synergy. The only Poke I WANT to replace is Lucario. It just doesn't get the job done as well as the other two [Especially on Cresselia].
    So, that's the team [sorry if I wrote too much ;~;]. Ideas / Suggestions? :3

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • This is in the wrong section I think, but I'll rate it anyway.

All your Pokemon are physical based attackers, which is bad if you run into any physical walls (Skarmory, Forretress etc.) I'd change Lucario to a special sweeper or specs user.

453.png
    @ Choice Specs
    Inner Focus
    Modest Nature
    4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
    - Aura Sphere
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power (Ice)
    - Vacuum Wave

OR

453.png
    @ Life Orb
    Inner Focus
    Modest Nature
    4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
    - Calm Mind
    - Aura Sphere
    - Shadow Ball
    - Vacuum Wave

Both sets give irresistible coverage and help you with your problem with Physical Walls.

Back