• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    A common set for Jirachi is a Scarf Physical set, where you would want a Jolly Nature. Here's the set:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    Serene Grace
    Jolly Nature
    252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP

• Iron Head
    • Fire Punch
    • Ice Punch
    • U-Turn/Trick
    Basically, Iron Head = STAB and Flinch Haxiness, Fire Punch helps with steels (Especially Scizor), and Ice Punch is used to revenge kill dragons (Be warned though, if Salamence gets in a DD, you're at a speed tie, so hope for the best =3). U-Turn is good for scouting, but Trick can screw over one of it's checks or counters. You can also use Thunder Punch over Ice Punch if you need to hit Gyara more than the dragons.

My problem with things like this is I feel like it takes the variety out of more competetive battling when people start manufacturing the same pokemon that everyone believes to work the best, but I will think about it. Thanks for the response

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • My problem with things like this is I feel like it takes the variety out of more competetive battling when people start manufacturing the same pokemon that everyone believes to work the best, but I will think about it. Thanks for the response

If it works the best, well, it works the best =3 If you want other sets, you can just go here too.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    What are the most common play styles in NU? I've never played NU before and want to give it a shot.

By play styles I mean: stall, sweeping, Baton Pass, etc.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • What are the most common play styles in NU? I've never played NU before and want to give it a shot.

By play styles I mean: stall, sweeping, Baton Pass, etc.

Most common is probably offensively based teams. There are a few stall teams here and there, but they are far less common. Magmortar/Espeon/Skuntank are the biggest offensive threats. Defensive threats are Miltank/Slowking.

Years
  • Hmm, I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of what counters what in OU, i.e. Hippowdon being a good Jolteon counter.

Obviously, it's pretty obvious what counters what after looking up the information, but when I'm building a team and trying to account for like 50 threats, it gets a little annoying. :laugh:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Hmm, I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of what counters what in OU, i.e. Hippowdon being a good Jolteon counter.

Obviously, it's pretty obvious what counters what after looking up the information, but when I'm building a team and trying to account for like 50 threats, it gets a little annoying. :laugh:

This post from Smogon has the usage statistics from ShoddyBattle (I assume its near the same on Wi-Fi) so you can use that for reference. This has a list of pokemon and what common moves the carry and stuff (just Ctrl + F your way through it) so that can give you some good stuff. Once again, its for ShoddyBattle, not wi-fi. There are really no hard counters for anything except good prediction. Except like Gliscor is a good counter for Jolteon because most of them have T-Bolt/Shadow Ball/HP Grass, all of which Gliscor is immune or neutral too. But as far as perfect counters, most people try to run movesets to catch people off guard. [/lengthypost]

tl;dr

Check out the links.
    No true counters exist bar prediction because people like to run movesets to catch people off guard.

Years

• This post from Smogon has the usage statistics from ShoddyBattle (I assume its near the same on Wi-Fi) so you can use that for reference. This has a list of pokemon and what common moves the carry and stuff (just Ctrl + F your way through it) so that can give you some good stuff. Once again, its for ShoddyBattle, not wi-fi. There are really no hard counters for anything except good prediction. Except like Gliscor is a good counter for Jolteon because most of them have T-Bolt/Shadow Ball/HP Grass, all of which Gliscor is immune or neutral too. But as far as perfect counters, most people try to run movesets to catch people off guard. [/lengthypost]

tl;dr

Check out the links.
    No true counters exist bar prediction because people like to run movesets to catch people off guard.

Wow, very helpful links. Thanks! :classic:

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Would this be a viable set?

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions
    @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swift Swim
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Poison Jab
    - Explosion

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2011
    Would this be a viable set?

Quilfish @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swift Swim
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    - Waterfall
    - Aqua Jet
    - Poison Jab
    - Explosion

Only on a Rain Dance team; otherwise it won't do very well IMO. If you're doing OU, Kingdra outclasses it.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Gamer has a point. Waterfall/Aqua Jet is kind of redundant. I'd use SD and get that in so that Aqua Jet becomes just as strong as an unboosted Waterfall. It'll also open up for an easier sweep.

Plus, you don't HAVE to use Life Orb. Throw Expert Belt on it or leftovers even.

.тαмєя

Typloshion Lover :D
    Years
    • Age 26
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 9, 2010
    Heracross@Choice Scarf
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant / Jolly Nature
    Trait : Guts
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Toxic / Night Slash

Scarf Cross. Toxic wastes Gliscor.

Heracross@Choice Band
    96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
    Adamant
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Pursuit/ Night Slash

Band Cross

Heracross@Life Orb
    Jolly
    - Swords Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn

SD Cross

For other sets go here.

Thanks a bunch for these ^-^
    I'll probally be going for this one...

Heracross@Life Orb
    Jolly
    - Swords Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • What are all the types of team? Like Stall and that stuff.

Well, there's only a few that really work in today's metagame, but I'll go through the whole list:

Heavy Stall: This is complete, full out stall. Your entire team is walls, you have all the requirements of a stall team, and your only strategy is to just annoy opponents to death. A classic example of this is Obi Stall.

Semi-Stall: This is like stall, but instead you mix in some bulky offensive Pokemon that can fit in with a stall team and use it as a late-game sweeper. Dark_Azelf's Curselax team is a great example of this.

Balanced: The old, D/P style of teams. 2 walls, 2 sweepers, and 2 support Pokemon.

Offensive: This team is focused on a combination of offensive sweepers that can work well together with each other and perform a sweep as a result. A classic example is the Salazone combo, which can tear through whole teams once Magnezone clears out Steel-type for Mence.

Heavy Offensive: This is all-out offense. There is usually one Pokemon that will set up Dual Screens, followed by a plethora of set-up sweepers that hope to just tear into the opponent.

Weather/Trick Room/Gravity: All of these teams attempt to utilize the effects of a weather, Trick Room, or Gravity to sweep through an opponent's team. Rain Dance teams are a great example of this.

I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any, but feel free to add on if I did.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Skippy also forgot bulky offense, which is comprised of a few sweepers with above average HP and Defenses. Its not much different than Heavy Offense except in Heavy Offense the sweepers are usually fast and frail.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    So Magmar, Persian, etc. are things I should look for an a good NU offensive team? I def want Persian there.

Back