• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    I know this may be a stupid question and apologize if its been answered in here but what exactly are ivs/evs and how do you train/use them? What do you aim for? I have been playing since the beginning but never paid attention to the stats or natures.

IVs (Individual Values) are part of what make individual Pokemon different. Say you catch two Sentret. One has higher stats than the other, even though both are untrained and at the same level. It's most likely because it has better IVs.
    IVs can range from 0-31, with 31 being the highest, and are determined when you encounter a wild Pokemon or when you pick up an egg from the Daycare. After they're determined, they can't be changed except through the use of a cheating device.

EVs (Effort Values) help determine the sort of stat growth a Pokemon gets by leveling. Every time you defeat a Pokemon (as long as you gain exp.) your Pokemon gets a certain amount of EVs. 4 EVs in one stat = +1 to that stat at level 100.
    The amount of EVs you can get for a Pokemon is capped at 510, and the maximum number you can have in any one stat is 255 (though you can cap it at 252 and get the same result). Maxing out the EVs on a stat means you end up with a +63 to that stat at level 100. EVs can be removed through the use of certain Berries, while Pokerus doubles the amount of EVs you receive when you defeat a Pokemon.

Hopefully that made sense, I'm not 100% awake yet. ^^;

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
    Years
    IVs (Individual Values) are part of what make individual Pokemon different. Say you catch two Sentret. One has higher stats than the other, even though both are untrained and at the same level. It's most likely because it has better IVs.
    IVs can range from 0-31, with 31 being the highest, and are determined when you encounter a wild Pokemon or when you pick up an egg from the Daycare. After they're determined, they can't be changed except through the use of a cheating device.

EVs (Effort Values) help determine the sort of stat growth a Pokemon gets by leveling. Every time you defeat a Pokemon (as long as you gain exp.) your Pokemon gets a certain amount of EVs. 4 EVs in one stat = +1 to that stat at level 100.
    The amount of EVs you can get for a Pokemon is capped at 510, and the maximum number you can have in any one stat is 255 (though you can cap it at 252 and get the same result). Maxing out the EVs on a stat means you end up with a +63 to that stat at level 100. EVs can be removed through the use of certain Berries, while Pokerus doubles the amount of EVs you receive when you defeat a Pokemon.

Hopefully that made sense, I'm not 100% awake yet. ^^;

That made the basic amount of sense, thanks. :D But how do you no where it is at along the 252 on EV's? I have a team that does pretty good but it doesn't really have a focus nor did I train using the info of EV's, I just trained them because I like the pokemon.

How would I want to go about making these pokemon I like, into a viable team:

Dragonite, Kingdra, Umbreon, Kabutops, Espeon, Gardevoir, Arcanine, Zangoose, Victreebel

My current team setup is like this:

Heracross: 324 HP
    Attack 280
    defense 201
    sp attack 118
    sp defense 246
    speed 205
    megahorn, close combat, brick break, aerial ace

kingdra: 290 HP
    Attack 222
    defense 220
    sp attack 216
    sp defense 272
    speed 203
    surf, brine, dragon pulse, ice beam

Houndoom: 295 HP
    Attack 215
    defense 151
    sp attack 246
    sp defense 209
    speed 245
    crunch, faint attack, flamethrower, shadow ball

Venusaur: 310HP
    Attack 199
    defense 221
    sp attack 236
    sp defense 237
    speed 183
    solar beam, sludge bomb, earthquake, sunny day

Raichu: 257HP
    Attack 221
    defense 153
    sp attack 226
    sp defense 221
    speed 250
    thunderbolt, iron tail, dig, quick attack

Dragonite: 331HP
    Attack 312
    defense 250
    sp attack 209
    sp defense 232
    speed 237
    Outrage, Fly, Waterfall, Fire Punch

I never set up a strategy and just chose pokemon that covered a wide element type, using them all as hitters. Sorry if this is not enough info and such, just trying to get a good grasp of an actual competitive team.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    That made the basic amount of sense, thanks. :D But how do you no where it is at along the 252 on EV's?

EVs are a hidden value, so you'd have to keep track of them with pen and paper, or you can check using an AR code or something similar. You can get an Effort Ribbon from an NPC (HG/SS is in Blackthorn, D/P/Pt is in Sunyshore) to let you know when you've gotten all 510 EVs.

As far as the team goes, I don't know all that much about competitive battling, so I'll leave that to someone else to answer. x3

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    About Hidden Power:

I have an Empoleon with the moves Surf, Ice Beam, and Flash Cannon.

I want the last move to be Hidden Power, but I'm not sure what the best HP type would be coverage-wise for this moveset.

Chibaymega12

Enemies of the Leaf Beware!
    Years
    IV and Nature Breeding Question

How should one go about breeding for IVs and Specific natures? Of these ways, what is the most efficient and effective? Is there a trick, like saving the game right before the egg hatches and trying over and over again?
    -Thanks
    CBM12

Yes, I am aware that this is in the wrong place. I apologize.

Last edited:

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    To my knowledge, an eggs IVs, nature, gender, shiny/not shiny, are all determined as soon as you get the egg. So I don' think resetting will do anything... at all.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    How should one go about breeding for IVs and Specific natures? Of these ways, what is the most efficient and effective? Is there a trick, like saving the game right before the egg hatches and trying over and over again?
    The nature/gender/shinyness/ability of an egg is determined when the Daycare Man receives it. The actual IVs of an egg are determined when you talk to the Daycare Man to pick the egg up.

If you want to soft reset for IVs, that's possible. Just save in front of him before you pick the egg up, then hatch to check if it has the nature/ability/whatever you want. If not, reset and reject the egg, then repeat the process. If it's what you want, you can keep resetting until you get IVs you like.

For natures, you can give an Everstone to a parent with the nature you want and it will have a 50% chance of passing the nature on to the offspring. It will not work with international parents, and in some games you have to give it to the female parent in order for it to work.

For IVs, there are Power items (Power Anklet, Power Bracer, etc.) that you can use to make sure an IV will get passed down. For example, if one parent had a 31 IV for speed, and you gave it the Power Anklet, the offspring would inherit the same speed IV. If you use 2 Power items, you're not guaranteed to pass down both IVs.

/end long post :P

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    To elaborate on Bibliophian's post, these are just small things you can use to get the desired results you want. IVs can be changed by repetitively soft resetting your game until you get the desired outcome but Nature, Gender etc are all set as soon as the egg is produced.

However, aside from all these small tricks, there is in fact, a big trick which can be used to mainpulate everything to what you want, including Nature and IVs, called RNG Abuse. Some guides on this site are located here and here, both for their respected games.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    Hi I hope this is the right place to put this but I would like someone to tell me if this is a good moveset for my Bronzong.
    Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

Name: Bronzong
    Ability: Levitate
    Lv: 100
    Item: Light Clay
    HP: 338
    Atk: 192
    Def: 268
    Sp Atk: 194
    Sp Def: 364
    Spd: 102
    Moves:
    Light Screen
    Explosion
    Gyro Ball
    Reflect
    Nature: Calm

I would like to know what or if I should replace Gyro Ball with and your opinions in general.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
    I can't make heads or tails of your stats without EVs and IVs but a quick look suggests that you're gonna need a new Bronzong. Calm lowers attack and raises special defense, meaning it hurts Explosion and Gyro Ball, both of which are physical moves which rely on attack. Dual Screen Bronzong wants Relaxed nature, which lowers Speed (which it doesn't need) and ups Defense. I guess you could go for Sassy as well, which lowers Speed and ups Special Defense. Finally, if you want, you could drop Gyro Ball for Earthquake, which'll hurt any incoming Fire-types.

Corroded Arceus

Pokemon Staurolite Creator
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 8, 2011
    Hey, can someone give me some good EV spreads for the event shiny legendary beasts with their original moveset? I don't need moves or a strategy since this isn't for competative battle, I just want to EV them because I have the Japanese set collecting dust in my box.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
    I oughta say go anything since it's in-game and it'll work but I won't (oops, I already did!) :P. Original movesets? Yeesh...
    Entei should go 252 Att|252 Speed|4 HP. Mmm, love Flare Blitz.
    Raikou wants 252 SpA|252 Speed|4 HP.
    Suicune...you really should ditch Sheer Cold. This one really varies, depending on what you prefer. With Relaxed nature, I personally prefer 252 HP|252 Def but if you want an attacker, you can go 252 Att|252 (something else). Donno if you'd want to bother with Speed since Relaxed is -Speed.

LuVrDiSC

pokéGirL Power !
    Years
    how is Rotom as a PvP battle pokemon? i like the Washing Machine one best i think. i dont know much about him what Stats does he naturally progress in apon level? im not sure all his moves yet as far as breeding,tm,move tutor i have to look more. but for now im thinking

Hydro Pump becus i dont have any water attacks on my team
    Thunderbolt no electric attacks on my team yet
    ShadowBall jus cus i like it
    not sure for the other, maybe some type of
    Heal or
    Leaf Storm even tho my Roserade has that.

any suggestions pweeeeeeeeeeZ?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
    Uhm, so's you know, Rotom Formes don't work over Wifi. You keep the movesets...but it defaults to normal Forme in Wifi. I don't know if it retains its stats or not. Someone else'll have to answer that. >_>

Rotom Washer

SukoSuNa

Nelson Mac Champ
    Years
    EV questions.

Hey S&M.
    I'm kind of newbie at this whole EV training system. I have a pretty basic understanding of it but I have a few questions.

Is it better to EV train at a low level like under 20? Or train them later at around 40-50?

And if you level up a Pokemon in the Pokewalker does it work like using a rarecandy?

Thanks.

Back