• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

Radekal

Bone Keeper
Years
  • Nidoking - Rivalry or Poison Point?

Hi,
    I want to have a Nidoking as a Toxic Spikes lead on my team. Now I'm going to go with a Timid nature to boost the STAB Earth Power.
    Up to this point Smogon follows the same logic.
    However, then smogon recommends the ability Poison Point with the moveset:
    Toxic spikes
    Earth Power
    Ice Beam
    Stealth Rock

Surely this ability will then have no effect? And you've already got toxic spikes on so WTF?

So I was thinking of running Rivalry in the hope that most of the opposing pokemon will be male...

What do you think?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    ^ to add onto that, Xatu is basically a 100% counter to Breloom. It reflects back Spore (which is lolworthy if Toxic Orb hasn't activated yet), and Leech Seed, takes little to nothing from Focus Punch/Seed Bomb, and mauls it with either STAB. You'll have to watch out for Stone Edge from it for both Sigilyph and Xatu, though.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Timid doesn't boost the power of Earth Power, Quiet, Modest, Rash, Mild etc will boost it.

The point is, TROLOLOL AMAZING NONE PLANNED PUN. instead of waiting for a Pokemon to be switched out, a simple Physical attack to Nidoking, (Granted it would die because it's so damn weak) would probably poison the Pokemon before switch out. Rivalry depends if you wanna risk it, for a chocolate biscuit?

I'm on a roll with Puns.

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
  • I have a question about how to deal with opposing weather if you have a Sandstorm Team. Since weather has become a big part of the metagame, I need help countering them.

I also have a second question. Which one do yo think is better for a Sandstorm sweeper, Excadrill or Landorus?

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    I have an issue i have a deino and i taught it hidden power not really knowing the1 power but i know its water and i faught a munna with forewarn and instead of showing crunch it showed hidden power so my ? is this how strong can hidden power become. Crunch's power is 80 i know that it has to have good ivs if hidden power is stronger than that.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    So I'm just getting into breeding, and obviously it's pretty hard to tell the IVs of most level 1 Pokemon. How do you normally do it? My plan so far has been to save right before, give it all my rare candies and record the stats, and then reset the game so I have the rare candies for another Pokemon. Problem is that I only have 4, so oftentimes that's not enough. My next plan is to do the same thing but with the Daycare, resetting so I don't lose money every time on a potentially useless Pokemon, but is there a faster way? If I find out the overall potential/best stat in the Battle Subway, will I be able to get an accurate enough spread?

Perriechu

Years
  • So I'm just getting into breeding, and obviously it's pretty hard to tell the IVs of most level 1 Pokemon. How do you normally do it? My plan so far has been to save right before, give it all my rare candies and record the stats, and then reset the game so I have the rare candies for another Pokemon. Problem is that I only have 4, so oftentimes that's not enough. My next plan is to do the same thing but with the Daycare, resetting so I don't lose money every time on a potentially useless Pokemon, but is there a faster way? If I find out the overall potential/best stat in the Battle Subway, will I be able to get an accurate enough spread?

You could just use an IV Calculator found online.

https://serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

There's a pretty simple one, and it's pretty easy to use.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

You could just use an IV Calculator found online.

https://serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

There's a pretty simple one, and it's pretty easy to use.

At level 1, the spread spans about 15 different possible IVs. Even if I give it all my rare candies that only narrows it down to 10. That's why I'm asking, because the Pokemon I bred it from were high enough level that the IV spreads were all within 2-3 numbers, but with a level 1 the numbers could mean almost anything. I don't know if the Defense on my Pokemon is a 10 or a 25, or something in between.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • There's no really accurate method anymore with the removal of auto-scaling to level 100 in online battles. I guess you could do one of those level 50 cap battles and check that way, but obviously that's still not 100% accurate. The only other method of checking is through hacking with an Action Replay.

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I recommend the Daycare method. I've used it many times in HG/SS (since I lack Wi-Fi for IV battles), and it's a slow method but it'll work eventually. You could also fight a high-level Pokemon, record the small amount of EVs obtained, and them use an IV calculator from there.

amberfunk

Almost master trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Ok I have a glaceon that I ev trained and have some moves picked out for it and I would like some feedback as to better ev spread or moves.

Ivs:9/21/13/17/0/5
    Evs:12/0/0/255/192/51
    Moves:Signal beam, Mirror Coat, Hidden Power Steel, Toxic

Perriechu

Years
  • Im looking for a Magic Bounce Espeon set.
    And same with an Infernape and Darmanitan.

BTW how do you get Stealth Rock on Swampert.

Espeon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -SDef)
    - Substitute
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fighting/Fire]
    - Shadow Ball

Your basic MB Espeon really, although if you want something like Dual Screens (You didn't really specify so I can't assume) You'd have to look around.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
    Trait : Blaze
    Naive Nature (+Spd, - SpD)
    64 Atk / 252 SAtk / 192 Spe
    - Fake Out
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Close Combat

A lead Infernape set.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band / Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-Turn
    - Superpower / Earthquake
    - Rock Slide

Darmanitan's standard set, use Life Orb since Sheer Force stops damage from LO.

Swampert can only get Stealth Rock if it's transfered from Gen IV games, since it's not teachable or breed able. (I mean not an egg move.)

Im looking for a good moveset/ev spread for:

Gigalith

and

Maractus

Thanks in advance. :D

Maractus @Life Orb
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    -Giga Drain
    -Hidden Power [Fire/Rock]
    -Growth
    -Synthesis

This is really the only Maractus set going ;o; Since it's so crappy. But it may work.

Gigalith @Custap Berry
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    Ability: Sturdy
    -Stealth Rock
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Explosion

You've got a lead Gigalith

Gigalith @Life Orb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    Ability: Sand Force
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Explosion
    -Return

Or offensive Gigalith.

I have a question about how to deal with opposing weather if you have a Sandstorm Team. Since weather has become a big part of the metagame, I need help countering them.

I also have a second question. Which one do yo think is better for a Sandstorm sweeper, Excadrill or Landorus?

Your really only other bet to even get rid of weather effects in your opponents team is to use either Golduck, Altaria or Lickilicky's cloud nine ability.

Excadrill is better, since it has access to Rapid Spin, and hasn't a 4x weakness to Ice.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2013
    Ideal Teammates

So far my team consists of 2 Pokemon. I've been out of the competitive circuit for a good while now and recently started back in. I was looking on suggestions for a defensive wall (I have been considering Confagrigus but still very unsure.) a special wall and special sweepers to accommodate what I have so far. All help will be appreciated

Dragonite (Female) @ Leftovers
    Inner Focus
    Evs: 252HP/44Atk/212Speed
    Adamant
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Roost
    - Dragon Dance

Scizor (Male) @ Choice Band
    Technician
    Evs: 252Hp/252Atk/6Speed
    Adamant
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-Turn
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

Perriechu

Years
  • It's shame cause maractus is so prettyfull D:

Also looking for a garbador set.

I know right, even if it had Speed and a bigger movepool it could play with the big boy's.

Garbodor sets;

Garbodor @Focus Sash
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    Ability: Weak Armor
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Spikes
    -Gunk Shot
    -Explosion

Not just a standard hazard set, weak armor will let you get at least another move in since you'll get a speed boost, although priority moves will demolish you. :3

Years
  • I was wondering if anyone can help me?
    I would like a moveset for nosepass as a supportive/defensive role using the eviolite. I've been looking for one in many places, but have not seemed to find one yet.
    thanks in advance. :D

auraginx

Canadian Bacon
    Years
  • okay, so this is a very n00b question, but i need help nonetheless. i have never EV trained before, and so i just finished breeding for my team and started EV training my Scyther.

2 questions:

1) how does EV work, i was told in this gen that for every 4 EVs you gain 1 increment for the respective stat, hwoever, while EV training my Scyther on Woobats for Speed EVs, the speed isn't increasing. is the increase with the level or what?

2) when should i evolve Scyther into Scizor to maximize his stats as a Technician sweeper?

M kingkong M

Sonny Digital
    Years
  • got an AWSOME joltik compliments of Twilightblade, and i was wondering what EVs i should train and what move set i should give it, and what type of pokemon should these be for competitive battling.

Back