• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters
Years
  • Modest Hydreigon
    4 HP/252 Sp Atk/252 Spd
    Work Up, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, Tri Attack

Unsure of what item to use, and wonder about the moveset.

Years
  • --------------------------------------------------------------
    Kingdra - Jolly
    252 EV attack/252 EV Speed/ The remaining 4 ???
    (It should have Swift Swim)
    Moveset-
    Rain Dance
    Waterfall
    Outrage
    Dragon dance or substitute
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Forretress - Careful
    100 EV HP/ 156 EV Defence/ 252 Sp Defence
    Moveset-
    Spikes
    Rapid spin
    Explosion
    Payback
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Honckrow - Adamant/Jolly
    252 EV attack/252 EV Speed/ EV HP
    Moveset-
    Bravebird
    Drill Peck
    Superpower
    Steel wing
    Starmie - Timid
    252 EV SpAttack/252 EV Speed/4 EV HP
    Moveset-
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Ice beam
    Hydro Pump (or surf for better accuracy)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Gengar - Timid
    252 EV Sp attack/ 252 EV Speed/ 4 EV HP
    Moveset-
    Hypnosis
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Thunderbolt

Can anyone help me with the Items, and Gallades Moveset and EVs, Nature

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • Mightyena @ Life Orb
    Trait: Moxie
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 6 HP/ 252 Attack / 252 Speed
    Howl
    Sucker Punch
    Fire Fang
    Return

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 6 Sp.Atk
    Protect
    Toxic
    Leech Seed
    Giga Drain

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    Thunder and Focus Blast respectively give better supereffective/neutral coverage iirc and both kinda abuse Victory Star (but Thunder only goes up to 77% accuracy so who knows if you really want to use that or Thunderbolt). You also want Speed > HP; Victini's typing isn't good enough to be taking any strong hits no matter how much investment it has. It'd much rather outspeed them and damage them first. Life Orb lets you hit harder because Rocky Helmet isn't doing anything for you. Lastly, Psyshock can be used to hit Pokemon that are more specially defensive in their weaker stat, but Psychic is just as viable.
    WOOOOOOO A RESPONSE! xD Thanks, I made that long post on my Victini and then it looked like no one would help. Good advice too. I'll go ahead and train it 252 in speed then since he is so fragile. What do you think about leftovers vs life orb? Leftovers seems to help against random stuf. I'll definately take a closer look at thunder, focus blast and Psyshock. Even though I have good coverage against most basic types, I've had some trouble dealing with mixed type mons. Thanks B!

Soul_Silver_pkmnbreeder

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    Anatomy of a Blaziken

Okay, so I'm trying my hand at a Blaziken moveset, and so far I have the following:
    Blaziken @ Power Herb (Def - / Speed or Atk +)
    Shadow Claw
    Solar Beam
    Swords Dance
    Sky Uppercut/DynamicPunch

Thoughts?

TheMysteryEgg

Pokemon Breeder and Fuzer
    Years
  • ^Now I see a duplicate of my avatar. XD
    Anyway, I'm getting confused about EV's and IV's. I know that you can't see EV's but what are they? And what are IV's? I am EV training my Gigalith to have high HP. I have it wearing a Power Weight and I am having it battle Amoonguss and some Audino, am I doing anything wrong/bad?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Modest Hydreigon
    4 HP/252 Sp Atk/252 Spd
    Work Up, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, Tri Attack

Unsure of what item to use, and wonder about the moveset.

Hydreigon is actually really cool as a Choice Specs user. I know there's a specific speed number that it has to hit before running any more speed is useless... I can't remember exactly, but I'm almost entirely sure that the number of speed EVs it needs is something like 196. You can dump the rest in HP. Hydreigon wants Draco Meteor, Surf, Fire Blast, and U-turn/Dark Pulse/Dragon Pulse (any of those three).

Kingdra - Jolly
    252 EV attack/252 EV Speed/ 4 HP
    (It should have Swift Swim)
    Moveset-
    Substitute
    Waterfall
    Outrage
    Dragon Dance
    Forretress - Careful
    100 EV HP/ 156 EV Defence/ 252 Sp Defence
    Moveset-
    Spikes
    Rapid spin
    explosion & payback both suck. they got nerfed coming out of gen 4. run volt change/gyro ball or stealth rock/toxic spikes etc - if you're playing gen 4, then don't worry about this advice haha
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Honckrow - Adamant/Jolly
    252 EV attack/252 EV Speed/ EV HP
    Moveset-
    Bravebird
    Heat Wave
    Superpower
    Sucker Punch
    Starmie - Timid
    252 EV SpAttack/252 EV Speed/4 EV HP
    Moveset-
    Psychic HP Fire if gen 5
    Thunderbolt
    Ice beam
    Hydro Pump (or surf for better accuracy)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Gengar - Timid
    252 EV Sp attack/ 252 EV Speed/ 4 EV HP
    Moveset-
    Substitute
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Thunderbolt / Pain Split

Can anyone help me with the Items, and Gallades Moveset and EVs, Nature

I undid your formatting because it was annoying and bolded my changes. Lefties on everything but Gengar, Starmie, Honchkrow - use Life Orb for them. I can't exactly mention specific movesets because I dunno if you're playing Gen 4 or Gen 5.

Mightyena @ Life Orb
    Trait: Moxie
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 6 HP/ 252 Attack / 252 Speed
    Howl
    Sucker Punch
    Fire Fang
    Return

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 6 Sp.Atk
    Protect
    Toxic
    Leech Seed
    Giga Drain

Mightyena is an inferior Honchkrow, who gets the same ability + better bulk + better resistances + more attack + better speed iirc + Sucker Punch too. Tangrowth:

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
    Trait : Regenerator
    Evs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 6 Spd or 252 Hp / 6 Def / 252 SpD
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk) / / Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd) / Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Giga Drain / Power Whip
    - Sleep Powder
    - Leech Seed
    - Hidden Power [Ice/Fire] / Earthquake / Knock Off / Stun Spore

WOOOOOOO A RESPONSE! xD Thanks, I made that long post on my Victini and then it looked like no one would help. Good advice too. I'll go ahead and train it 252 in speed then since he is so fragile. What do you think about leftovers vs life orb? Leftovers seems to help against random stuf. I'll definately take a closer look at thunder, focus blast and Psyshock. Even though I have good coverage against most basic types, I've had some trouble dealing with mixed type mons. Thanks B!

Leftovers and Life Orb are both viable, I suppose. I still kinda like Life Orb but if you're afraid of residual damage from LO + Sandstorm + SR + Spikes then Leftovers is perfectly viable. And no problem!

Okay, so I'm trying my hand at a Blaziken moveset, and so far I have the following:
    Blaziken @ Power Herb (Def - / Speed or Atk +)
    Shadow Claw
    Solar Beam
    Swords Dance
    Sky Uppercut/DynamicPunch

Thoughts?

Speed Boost Blaziken is banned, but since I'm guessing you're not using that Blaziken wants Hi Jump Kick for a Fighting move, along with Flare Blitz/Blaze Kick and Stone Edge for coverage imo. Shadow Claw really only hits Jellicent and Slowbro, where Stone Edge hits Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, all the fliers that resist Fire+Fighting.

^Now I see a duplicate of my avatar. XD
    Anyway, I'm getting confused about EV's and IV's. I know that you can't see EV's but what are they? And what are IV's? I am EV training my Gigalith to have high HP. I have it wearing a Power Weight and I am having it battle Amoonguss and some Audino, am I doing anything wrong/bad?

You can't "see" either. IVs are bred with your Pokemon; when you obtain it, they are set in stone and cannot change. A Pokemon with perfect IVs is hard to come by (though some people can breed them) but it lets them have the highest possible numbers for each stat potentially. IV numbers range from 0 to 31, 0 being the worst and 31 being the best. 31/31/31/31/31/31 denotes a Pokemon with absolutely perfect IVs. IVs also help determine the type and power of Hidden Power moves, though that's a longer explanation that I don't wanna go into right now.

EVs, on the other hand, are like investments. Where IVs are set, you have to train EVs onto your Pokemon to build their stats. You have a limited number of EVs, and each stat can only take so many of them before they're considered "maxed out". You can't see the effect of EVs at first - but you'll see them at the end, when the Pokemon is at level 100 and fully trained. :D

No, you aren't doing anything bad. :)

Years
  • I undid your formatting because it was annoying and bolded my changes. Lefties on everything but Gengar, Starmie, Honchkrow - use Life Orb for them. I can't exactly mention specific movesets because I dunno if you're playing Gen 4 or Gen 5.

Im planning on playing in the 5th generation

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    I have a ? I always see everyone say that when u ev train you can see the outcome when they are level 100 and fully trained. I think you can see that before level 100, the reason i say this is bc i was training a weavile on platinum in speed and attack i trained the attack first by battling alot of machop (easy enough) and by gaining all 252 evs i went to get speed evs and so i battled starly (yes lv 2-3 starly) and when i actually leveled up at level 39 the attack stat rose by 15 points and the speed stat rose 34 points. So, thats why i think ev training can be seen earlier on. also, i think solarbeam would be more beneficial to a drought team than energy ball even with life orb.

Both of those movesets look fine. Venusaur is definitely a good partner on any Drought team because it's speedy, bulky and hits hard.

Venusaur @ Life Orb / Leftovers
    ability: Chlorophyll
    nature: Modest
    evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    ~ Solarbeam
    ~ Growth (it's like Nasty Plot + Swords Dance in the sun)
    ~ Sludge Bomb
    ~ Hidden Power [Fire]

Years
  • also, i think solarbeam would be more beneficial to a drought team than energy ball even with life orb.

Both of those movesets look fine. Venusaur is definitely a good partner on any Drought team because it's speedy, bulky and hits hard.

Venusaur @ Life Orb / Leftovers
    ability: Chlorophyll
    nature: Modest
    evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    ~ Solarbeam
    ~ Growth (it's like Nasty Plot + Swords Dance in the sun)
    ~ Sludge Bomb
    ~ Hidden Power [Fire]
    that's what I was thinking actually. it still has great accuracy and more power, just a little less PP. not to mention that in the sun it doesn't require a turn to prepare.
    so, I think I'll have my team as ninetales, arcanine, venusaur, thundurus, charizard and xatu. fairly well balanced and can handle most threats which I've checked.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I have a ? I always see everyone say that when u ev train you can see the outcome when they are level 100 and fully trained. I think you can see that before level 100, the reason i say this is bc i was training a weavile on platinum in speed and attack i trained the attack first by battling alot of machop (easy enough) and by gaining all 252 evs i went to get speed evs and so i battled starly (yes lv 2-3 starly) and when i actually leveled up at level 39 the attack stat rose by 15 points and the speed stat rose 34 points. So, thats why i think ev training can be seen earlier on.

Yeah, it's usually said that because people usually EV train when their Pokemon are at level 1, meaning they level up quickly and the EVs don't show as easily as they did when you were training your Weavile. They always have an effect - it's just easiest to see at level 100 for most people.

also, i think solarbeam would be more beneficial to a drought team than energy ball even with life orb.

that's what I was thinking actually. it still has great accuracy and more power, just a little less PP. not to mention that in the sun it doesn't require a turn to prepare.
    so, I think I'll have my team as ninetales, arcanine, venusaur, thundurus, charizard and xatu. fairly well balanced and can handle most threats which I've checked.

The thing with Solarbeam is that if your opponent knows you have it, every time you use it (if they predict right) is just an opening for them to switch in their weather changer, making you have to wait for that charge turn while they switch out to a Grass-resist, making you lose your Sun and letting them switch into a favorable position. The biggest reason I would suggest not using Solarbeam for is that because experienced and good players can take advantage of your choice to use Solarbeam and turn it against you. Yeah, it's a good move in sun, but it's too easy for them to exploit against you. You have the right to run it if you want, though. :)

Also if you lose Arcanine (which has Close Combat I assume) your entire team cannot touch Heatran, pretty much. Thundurus can hit it but it won't be OHKOing whereas Heatran is going to decimate it with Sun-boosted Fire Blast.

Years
  • Also if you lose Arcanine (which has Close Combat I assume) your entire team cannot touch Heatran, pretty much. Thundurus can hit it but it won't be OHKOing whereas Heatran is going to decimate it with Sun-boosted Fire Blast.
    I'm running HP ground on charizard, which has solar power so that should also handle heatran I think. if it's ballooned then it should only take one other attack from anything to pop it.

trespasser

Problem, officer?
    Years
  • Hey, I'm trying to get a good moveset for my Tyranitar. Any suggestions?

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
    EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spd
    Nature: Naive
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam
    - Crunch
    - Focus Blast

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2017
    Would this moveset work well for a Scrafty or should I just stick with the Bulk-Up set?

Scrafty
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Shed Skin
    Nature: Impish (with perfect attack IV)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpDef

Moves:
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Crunch
    - Rest

Years
  • Hey, I'm trying to get a good moveset for my Tyranitar. Any suggestions?

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
    EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spd
    Nature: Naive
    - Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam
    - Crunch
    - Focus Blast

Just as a recommendation, I would say swap Crunch with Dark Pulse. Also, I'd say change the EVs to either 252 Atk or 252 Spd (Spd being the better option as it goes with the nature).

The ideal Tyranitar in my opinion is:

Adamant(252 Atk & 252 HP/SpDef)
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Dragon Dance/Ice Punch(MT)/Superover(MT)

I was wondering if you've got a female Oshawott

Name: Anis Black FC: 1377 7146 3278

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Would this moveset work well for a Scrafty or should I just stick with the Bulk-Up set?

Scrafty
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Shed Skin
    Nature: Impish (with perfect attack IV)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpDef

Moves:
    - Substitute
    - Focus Punch
    - Crunch
    - Rest
    Like I said in an RMT thread that carries a similar Scrafty set, I wouldn't recommend SubPunch on Scrafty because it doesn't have enough HP to make it effective. Conkeldurr does it better. Scrafty is better with Bulk Up or Dragon Dance.

What nature would be better for Jellicent: Bold, or Calm? Calm boosts its already good Special Defense, but Bold lets it take physical hits better (with 252 Def EVs). I'm stuck between both natures and was wondering which one is better.
    I'm also bumping this question because no one took the time to answer it. :(

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2017
    Like I said in an RMT thread that carries a similar Scrafty set, I wouldn't recommend SubPunch on Scrafty because it doesn't have enough HP to make it effective. Conkeldurr does it better. Scrafty is better with Bulk Up or Dragon Dance.
    Good point, I guess I'll just stick with the Bulk-up set then!

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    What nature would be better for Jellicent: Bold, or Calm? Calm boosts its already good Special Defense, but Bold lets it take physical hits better (with 252 Def EVs). I'm stuck between both natures and was wondering which one is better.
    If you already have a dedicated Physical wall, go Calm. If not go with Bold.

Years
  • Could someone help me do a moveset,items,natures and evs for Gallade

i was thinking about going bulky Gallade to wipe out all there team kinda thing

Back