• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request an Individual Moveset / Incomplete Team Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pink_Marshmello

Super Nerd
    Years
    Well... I want to set up a decent team, but I'm not sure what to put on it. I'm using Espeon, Dargonite, Typhlosion, Empoleon, and Crobat. Is that pretty well-rounded?

Dr. Strange

Elite Four
    Years
    Well... I want to set up a decent team, but I'm not sure what to put on it. I'm using Espeon, Dragonite, Typhlosion, Empoleon, and Crobat. Is that pretty well-rounded?

What happened to your sixth pokemon?

Your team has 3 pokemon who share a common weakness, Rock(which may make things a bit harder -_-). This link should help you figure out their weakness/strengths, Click Here.

Years
    I've recently started my Diamond again, and in this file i intend on doing everything seriously, and this will be my game for competitive use, EV training, Shiny hunting, etc. I picked Piplup, and I've heard that its Special attack stat is much better than it's attack stat, so what nature should i be looking for? I have a Modest one now, but i really don't know which natures are beneficial or neutral to which stat- so should i just keep the Piplup i have, or should i SR for another one, and if the latter, what Nature should i SR for?

Years
    I suggest that you save the competitive battling for after the Elite four (and Champion). That way, you can obtain natures easier (everstone + Ditto), have access to more egg moves and TMs (Battle Frontier and surrounding areas, import), and you won't have to waste all of your EV reduction berries for Pokemon who likely won't perform as well due to subpar IVs.

Natures and their effects can be found here.

I'm a nub when it comes to serious competitive battling (I just copy/paste sets from Smogon >_>), but it looks like Modest is a good choice of a nature.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    I've recently started my Diamond again, and in this file i intend on doing everything seriously, and this will be my game for competitive use, EV training, Shiny hunting, etc. I picked Piplup, and I've heard that its Special attack stat is much better than it's attack stat, so what nature should i be looking for? I have a Modest one now, but i really don't know which natures are beneficial or neutral to which stat- so should i just keep the Piplup i have, or should i SR for another one, and if the latter, what Nature should i SR for?

Modest is an awesome nature for Empoleon, as it raises it's special attack and lowers its attack. But then there's the matter of it's IVs and if they are good or not, which usually requires breeding. But yeah, Modest nature is fine for it.

Dr. Strange

Elite Four
    Years
    oh whoops, forgot about Luxray. I was just going off memory there.
    I taught Espeon grass knot, but I'm not sure if thats enough. Also, what about Empoleon?

Well know your team has 3 weak against Ground and 3 weak against Rock O_O

As for the changes, how about:

- Electivire for Luxary(it can learn Fire Punch so there is little need for a fire type)

- Dusknoir for Crobat(Your team needs a defensive pokemon, you should consider Noir)

- Yanmega for Typhlosion(Just so you can keep the high Sp. Att characteristic)

By the way, you should put down your pokemon's moves so that I can better help you with deciding their moves.

Pink_Marshmello

Super Nerd
    Years
    Thanks, I'll probably put those in.
    As for attacks, here's what I've got.
    Espeon lvl 51
    Future Sight, Grass Knot, Psybeam, Last Resort.
    Dragonite lvl 92
    Dragon Rush, Outrage, Fly, Dragon Dance
    Empoleon lvl 86
    Surf, Ice Beam, Drill Peck, Hydro Cannon.

darthalex

Kidney Thief
    Years
    only just got back into pokemon after not really playing since gold :s

the concept of compettive battling really interests me, i was wondering if anyone could direct me to any helpful threads/other forums or give me a few pointers, havn't yet bought either of diamond/pearl but intend to when i get payed next week.

Last edited:

Dr. Strange

Elite Four
    Years
    Espeon lvl 51
    Dragonite lvl 92
    Empoleon lvl 86

Your pokemon should look more like this:

Espeon
    Petaya Berry
    Psychic
    Grass Knot
    Substitute
    Shadow Ball

Dragonite:
    Yache Berry/Lum Berry/Leftovers
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    Dragon Dance
    Earthquake
    Fire Punch/Roost

Empoleon:
    Leftovers
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Grass Knot
    Stealth Rock/Toxic

These are just some options, there are others one could choose from.

Years
    Espeon lvl 51
    Dragonite lvl 92
    Empoleon lvl 86

Just a basic few tips:
    Never mix physical and special moves together unless you know you can pull it off (i.e. Infernape as a mix sweeper).
    Move redundancy is redundant. Using two moves of the same type isn't suggested. It lowers your type coverage. Likely one move will be more powerful or practical than the other. If that is the case, then why bother having the move that is less powerful/practical when you could be using a move of a different type so that you can hit more Pokemon?
    Never use moves that leave you helpless for a turn. Fly, Hyper Beam, Hydro Cannon, etc. They're all just begging the opponent to switch in a Pokemon that can potentially sweep your whole team.
    Levels don't matter. With wi-fi's auto-level to 100 feature and programs like shoddybattle, everybody nowadays just assume that you have lv. 100s.
    Always stick an item on your Pokemon. Even if it's just leftovers, something is better than nothing most of the time.

Also, you may want to look into EVs. A guide can be found here.

@ darthalex: Here is a good place to start.

Pink_Marshmello

Super Nerd
    Years
    Thank you soo much! I'm just starting this competitive battling stuff, so I'm still not sure about it all.
    Could I just use Dusclops, since I don't have Dusknoir? Or would it be better to get one?
    @Jpp8 Really? I didn't know the levels changed automatically. XD

Dr. Strange

Elite Four
    Years
    Thank you soo much! I'm just starting this competitive battling stuff, so I'm still not sure about it all.
    Could I just use Dusclops, since I don't have Dusknoir? Or would it be better to get one?
    @Jpp8 Really? I didn't know the levels changed automatically. XD

Its highly recommended that you do get one, it's stats are far more superior to Dusclops and it possesses a much larger movepool.

Last edited:

Dr. Strange

Elite Four
    Years
    i get the concept of ev's but how do you train them/ know what to train them on?

You train them by defeating the pokemon that possesses the desired Ev point, you train them on either the strengths of the pokemon or your own creativity(a Gengar with maxed attack for example).

For example, a special sweeper like Alakazam should fight and defeat pokemon with sp. att and speed Evs like Starly or Roselia.

darthalex

Kidney Thief
    Years
    say for the special sweeper alakzam, right from the start of when you get it you should train it on only starlys and roselias?

can you have stealth rock and spikes/ toxic spikes at the same time?

also what would be a good example of good offensive team?

Dr. Strange

Elite Four
    Years
    say for the special sweeper alakzam, right from the start of when you get it you should train it on only starlys and roselias?

can you have stealth rock and spikes/ toxic spikes at the same time?

also what would be a good example of good offensive team?

Yes you should, btw there are other pokemon with Evs far greater than those two like Golbat for Speed Evs or Haunter for Sp. Att EVs.

Depending on the pokemon, it is possible to have all 3/2 of those(only a select few can have them all).

You should go for a balanced team, an all Offensive team can be easily destroyed by tanks/defensive pokemon.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back