• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Restart!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I used to turn my old laptop off every night to give it a rest (it used to get incredibly hot very quickly haha) but I can't even work out how to turn this new one off so it doesn't get much of a rest. I put it into sleep mode most of the time it's not being used but it only gets restarted when there's an update to install. I'm sure it's not good for the laptop but hey-ho, what can ya do. :p

Sirfetch’d

Mine does the honors of restarting by itself usually when I am in the middle of something important! Other than that though I shut mine off at night when I am sleeping so it can cool down or if I am leaving the house for a while and know I wont be using it for an extended period of time.

James.

Years
    I'll hibernate my laptop if I go somewhere during the day or leave my room for any period of time during the day (set my power options to hibernate on closing the lid). At night, when I head to bed I power down (and when updates get pushed through get installed then).

Before my desktop died, that thing stayed on for days/weeks at a time. Like my laptop, it pretty much got at least restarted every month when updates got pushed through.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    For the past few months, I left my laptop on throughout the night with lid but its still running cos I have set that settings. If I need to bring it around (which I rarely do), I will just shut down it 'cos the battery's VERY WEAK, dies in about 30-40mins. Otherwise, I only off/restart if there's some problem or when updating.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I never used restart until I got windows 8 on my computer. Because they way it shuts down differently to save time booting up, I like restarting every few days in order to stop my computer from lagging.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
    My computer is shut down whenever I'm not using it. I never use hibernate or sleep, mainly to give mercy on my processor. I don't even know if sleep of hibernate affects the processor lol, but it's a habit now. The only time I restart my computer is when I update something, and it's like "restart your computer, NOW!".

Years
    I don't restart my laptop unless there are updates that need to be installed. But recently, my laptop has started restarting on it's own. I get an error message that says "The system has recovered from a serious error" after the restart. It only happens when all the open windows freeze.

Years
    I usually restart when I want to install a new GNU/Linux distro. o.o I, otherwise, just shutdown my computer, when I don't need it anymore. (Unless I try AnonCoin mining again, which I WILL NOT DO, I tried bitcoin, litecoin... And it needs me to install non-free drivers. :/) Also :
    I'm too lazy to keep turning my computer on and off, so I usually just keep it turned on at all times. I know there's a risk of hackers and viruses, but I'm not too worried about that. I'm on Linux, which doesn't get viruses very easily. The only time I shut my computer down is when I go to bed. I don't restart my computer too much, either. I restart my computer only when I'm having problems with it or when it's done with updating its system.

I couldn't let this be said without saying a lil' bit of what a GNU/Linux computer geek know. :3 The term hacker you used refers as Cracker, which is something very different. Also, to get a virus on a GNU/Linux Operating System, you need to execute it as root... Even in WINE (I think, at least) (In short, only execute as root things you trust). Okay, sorry for the little off topic QUOTE part of the post, but I think that it was sort of necessary. :3

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I only ever shut down my laptop when I have to move it between school and home or somewhere else like that. And I guess when Windows or AVG is complaining too loudly about wanting a restart for updates xD Other than that, I just put it in energy saving mode all the time.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2014
    I can't Stand it when My Laptop Lags And thats A Lot So I Restart Or shut It down Every Time and Thats a Lot of times

Last edited by a moderator:

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
    I turn my computer off before I go to bed because I don't like the sound of 6 fans blaring through the night ! I'll usually restart my computer when needed as it doesn't take too long for my computer to boot back up properly. I'll leave my computer on if I'm going somewhere for a few hours and then it's ready to use. I never put my computer to sleep or hibernate, it's just how I roll, you're either on and off !

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
    I never restart my laptop/desktop well I would say that but my computer is old and I mean REALLY old and freezes and or has odd key problems so I have reset it pretty often actually

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    I don't restart my computer that often. I only restart if I update drivers, or install a new program.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    The only few times I'll restart my computer is if there are updates that need to be finished, or by taking a program off that requires a restart.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I restart only when I'm installing a new program or updates, or finish my virus scans which I do every week. So it's more of a daily thing here. :P

Back