• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Restarting Pokémon Games

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Do you restart your Pokémon games? Is there a Pokémon game or a particular generation that you find yourself playing through a lot? Whether you just like the storyline, you're feeling nostalgic, or it's your favorite game and you can't get enough of it. Or on the flip side, are you adamant about never restarting your games, and still have all of your original save files?

I'm really guilty of restarting my games (particularly the old ones) once in a while if I'm feeling nostalgic. Currently I'm working on beating my Blue Version and completing the PokéDex on it with the help of my Red Version, maybe that will help me refrain from restarting it every few months :p I do also like restarting my FRLG games, there must be something about Kanto that I enjoy playing through repeatedly lol.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Like you, I used to do that a long time ago with the really old school games (RBY and GSC, mainly). I stopped doing it for a while, but I've recently started doing it again after the Pokemon Bank was released, since now I can easily stash all my Pokes into the bank and not have to lose all of them when I restart. I did it with Y because I wanted to play through the story again, but with a team of my favorite Pokes, also made possible by the Pokemon Bank ^^

NocturnLeader

Team Nocturn Leader
    Years
    I have been doing it with the games after defeating them and raising my pokemon and then storing them into the Pokebank.
    Im only doing this with one of my games as I have the other one set up to gain poke points to gain items playing games. The other one is to get the all the pokemon in pokedex form on Pokebank.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I don't because I'm to lazy that and I want to see how long it will take me to max out the time played on my games. That and I like to see where I left off the last time I played.

Years
    I do this a lot, except with alpha sapphire since I have an arceus there a friend gifted me.
    I restarted OR twice though! And Y like 5 times, so I'd say I've restarted Y the most!

pkmin3033

I do this a fair bit; usually once in a year I'll restart an old Pokemon game once I've made sure I've transferred everything I want to keep off of it. I don't really have a favourite for it though; I'll restart whichever one I feel like at that given moment in time. The only generation I've not done this with is the fifth, because once was more than enough with those games. xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I used to restart my game a lot in the past, but nowadays, I tend to grow sort of bored of the storyline after initial play-through, causing me to limit myself on it. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing, though; sometimes, if you're looking to maintain all the Pokémon that you've captured during your run, it could be a lot of work to restart.

Years
    I never restart most of my games. The only ones I even recall restarting a lot are Pearl and Platinum because I always kept thinking my team wasn't good and I thought I could do with something better.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The only games I don't restart are whichever one is the newest since that's basically like my master save file with all my items and competitively bred pokes and stuff like that. Everything else is fair game for restarting once I've gotten everything I want offa it. With the other exception of my Pearl, since that's the one game I've completed the National Dex on and Platinum>Diamond/Pearl anyway.

I keep telling myself that I'll replay my White version but have yet to do it though....

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I cant play my Gen 4+ games anymore, because it bugs me too much that all the dates on them are gonna be too recent.
    I prefer just starting one save file when I get the game, and just adding onto it, keeping the same save, the same memories, finishing it 100%, etc.

Unfortunately... already had restarted my games before Gen VI several times, so that's out of the window. And gonna have to restart Gen VI ones too.

Years
    SoulSilver was the only game I ever restarted. The continuous Gym Leader and Elite Four rematches became quite boring, and I wanted a change of pace by replaying it with a different starter Pokemon. Regret was immediate upon realization that I had just lost my Frontier Symbols, but they were eventually re-obtained.

The BW2 games made restarting more worthwhile thanks to the Key system, which let you edit the difficulty of the game (iirc it has something to do with the Regis as well). However, my sister never got around to beating Black 2, so my initial plans of playing through White 2 in challenge mode eventually faded.

Years
    I've only restarted my rather older games so far. 1st gen, 3rd gen, would be 2nd gen as well if my original cartridges still saved >:( , but basically any game where it's been years enough since I've played them, and thus have no attachment to any of my pokemon there, that I'll restart. And I actually have done that in recent times - Yellow and Sapphire, mostly because I had forgotten how things went in those games and wanted to remind myself of them.

Although I guess I did restart HeartGold a few months back because I was bored, but I hadn't gotten very far in that anyway.

Outside of that, I don't tend to reset my games at all. My Platinum, Black, and X, all still on their first save files. I doubt that's going to change anytime soon.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    In the past, typically no. Since cash was tight, I usually didn't have the money to implement the solution I have today. Once a game is started, the adventures are cherished. When Gen 6 came out, I decided to do something a little different. Of course I got one of each game, but I also got an additional copy of Y and Sapphire.

So I have what I like to call my "main" games on X,Y,AS,OR, and I have my reset games (Y2 and Sapphire2). In my reset games, I start them knowing I'll reset them. Once the adventure is over, I send everything to Bank, and start a new one. I have a lot of event Pokemon. So now, I like to do fun runs, where in I build a team of Pokemon around a certain theme. My next one will be Halloween; it's going to be awesome!

That said, anything prior to Gen 6, I don't reset. (One little exception is an extra copy of Ruby for my Bonus Disc.)

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
    I have commonly restarted my Pokémon games to do challenges and just to get use some other Pokémon throughout my journey.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I can never bring myself to restart any of my games. >_< I don't like transferring Pokémon off the cartridge they started on, so I don't even move them up into future gens. (I only ever did this for Gen 3 -> 4 because I filled my Pokédex in 4.) So unsurprisingly, I'm equally unwilling to just save over an existing file. :P

So I tend to either outright buy a new game when I wanna replay or I just emulate. ._.;

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I have no problem on restarting games if I haven't completed the Pokédex and upgrade my Trainer Card to the highest level.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2015
    I restarted Gold, Silver and Crystal when I was younger/when the games came out. Me and my cousins would transfer our Pokemon to our other games and just restart them for fun, or we would do that with the starter Pokemon to obtain them all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2022
    I've seemed to get into a pattern of buying each of the new game, eg. a copy of X and a copy of Y, a copy of both OR and AS.

I'll then have one, eg. X, which I'll play first, and have all my Pokemon, items, extra stuff stored up on, then I'll use Y to play through again with different Pokemon, transfer then to X, then restart Y. It's good as well for doing challenges like nuzlockes/evolockes/wonderlockes :))

Years
    I do have copies of Pearl, Platinum, White 2, X and Omega Ruby that have had the saves on them from when I first got them, but other games I am fond of restarting, primarily as a challenger who looks for fun ways to play through the game. I find myself playing through Black 2, White 2, X and Y more than any others as I just love both of those sets of games.

Back