• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Restlessly

Usul

Cease my heart beat's weave.
Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    Eh.. I don't have a clue.
    Just random inspiration I guess.
    About someone.

Spoiler:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Well, for starters, I don't think you really listened to what Jax said here at all. You're still telling, not showing, and it's somewhat overwhelming. I'm drowning in these waves of despair coming off your poem, and that's not necessarily a good thing.

Also, I'm really having trouble finding the rhythm of this poem. Is there even supposed to be one? It's also unclear whether there's supposed to be a rhyme scheme, either; it's very confusing when you have a couple of rhyming couplets near the beginning and then stop. There's nothing wrong with blank verse, I know, but this poem has a lack of flow that makes it easy to read.

Sticking with those surface features, I urge that you proofread your poems before you post them. You're using words that don't exist, in fact, and I'm having trouble working out what 'fude' 'disclearing' and 'teaseling' mean. You've missed the space bar on at least one occasion 'innervoice' and some of your words have been confused with others - it's 'half dead' not 'halve dead'. 'Halve' is a verb meaning to bisect, and 'half' refers to one of the bits left behind afterwards.

I'm sorry I can't give a more proper review, but I have to get up and go to school now. I'll try and come back to edit this later if I get a chance.

Usul

Cease my heart beat's weave.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    Everyone has different views which they read and feel them. I never proofread them because people need to accept it how it it or not comment at all, And I am not going give it to someone and ask them to proofread which I wrote down with a pen then I wouldn't even post it here; nor a progam for it. Some words doesn't exist because It doesn't show up in your spelling/grammar book. It's not even legit words at all, in these wannabe-perfectionist poetry world nowadays. That's why I love not to change.
    Because Jax said something doesn't mean that I am going to follow it right away. I still keep it in my mind; But yet still I am not going to change everything just of one person. I'll just slowly build it up, If I don't like it, well.. Yeah. Then it's not going to happen.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Everyone has different views which they read and feel them. I never proofread them because people need to accept it how it it or not comment at all, And I am not going give it to someone and ask them to proofread which I wrote down with a pen then I wouldn't even post it here; nor a progam for it. Some words doesn't exist because It doesn't show up in your spelling/grammar book. It's not even legit words at all, in these wannabe-perfectionist poetry world nowadays. That's why I love not to change.
    Because Jax said something doesn't mean that I am going to follow it right away. I still keep it in my mind; But yet still I am not going to change everything just of one person. I'll just slowly build it up, If I don't like it, well.. Yeah. Then it's not going to happen.
    OK, now you're just being difficult.

1) I'm not suggesting that just because one person says something, you should immediately jump to and do exactly what they say. All I'm saying is that Jax gave you some excellent advice which you seem to have ignored entirely.

2) 'I didn't feel like it' is not an excuse for bad grammar and spelling. Unless you're trying to prove something by your poor execution of basic surface features (eg in a poem commenting on the sad lack of literacy in today's children) there is no excuse for not simply checking your work over once or twice. A mistake or two is fine, because we're all human, but when you've clearly put as little effort into how your poem reads as you have, it really shows and it's - in a word - disrespectful. To yourself, as a poet, and to your readers. Which brings me to my next point.

3) 'Accept it how it is or not comment at all' is a tricky one. I'm getting vibes of 'don't like?; don't read', which is a perfectly valid notice, for example in fics that pair Ash with Chikorita. That's fine. However, trying to shift the blame onto me instead of taking responsibility for your errors is simply immature and childish, especially on an internet forum. Why do you post your poetry here if you don't want people to tell you what's wrong with it? That's what I don't get. This is a forum for getting feedback and reviews, teaching you how to improve your writing, but you don't seem to want that. It simply leaves me to ask 'Why?'. Why would you post here if you don't want people to tell you how to get better?

4) I know everyone has different views of any given poem; that's one of the marvellous things about poetry, in fact. However, that is also not an excuse to write clumsily and bluntly, and then try to claim that people don't understand you. All I'm getting from your response, frankly is 'I want to be a tragic figure! I'm a misunderstood genius!'

What I am suggesting to you, none too gently, is: read your poem at least once before you go and do something like posting it online. Things like making words up is fine - Doctor Seuss, one of the greatest poets of all time, did it all the time - but only do it if there's a reason. Seuss did it to lend his poems that nonsense-y feel. Dahl did it to emphasise the alien nature of the BFG. You appear to be just doing it because a) you don't actually know what word you mean, so you make one up in the hope that nobody will notice, b) you actually think they're words, or c) because you can, none of which are valid reasons. Your poem would make far more sense to me if, for example, you used a different word in place of 'fude'. What's that supposed to be? 'Feud'? 'Fade'? 'Fudge'? I have no idea, and nor will anyone else reading your poetry.

As for our 'wannabe-perfectionist poetry world nowadays', I call bollocks. How old are you, Usul? This is just you making excuses for yourself now instead of standing up and saying 'Whoops, my bad.' That's what bugs me about your attitude. I have nothing against your poetry beyond what I've specified above, and nothing against you personally, but it really gets up my nose when people try to dodge and weave and shift blame for something as insignificant as a poetry review on an internet forum.

And with that, good night. @_@

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • To put it a little more gently…

because people need to accept it how it it or not comment at all,

…But what MW is saying is pretty much true on this subject. Excuse me for being blunt, but it seems like writers in this section seriously need to learn that it's not don't like, don't read. It's can't take crit, don't post. After all, there's really no point in asking us for our opinions (which you do by default when you post on a medium where just anyone can reply) if you… kinda don't want our opinions. And I'm not just directing this statement towards you. Seems like there's a lot of kids in here who think this way, and it's unfortunate because poetry is actually a harder form of literature to master than prose thanks to the whole "not everything is good art" concept, y'know what I mean?

Also, sort of doesn't make me feel all that happy to know that I'm getting blown off after spending some of my time that I could've spent doing something else offering up tips. I mean, I really don't mind if you'd like to politely disagree, but if you're saying you disagree because you think I need to accept your work as it is... that's not quite how the entire posting-on-a-forum thing works, sorry to say.

But yet still I am not going to change everything just of one person.

Two people by now. Unless you're counting Misheard Whisper and me as the same person, which would be weird and uncomfortable on R-rated levels. And illegal levels, considering he's underage while I'm not, but TMI.

But seriously, review time.

Honestly... I'll have to agree with MW about the content. Ignoring the typos and whatnot (because I really don't like to point those out in poetry unless they make your work unintelligible), it feels like a lot of the time, you relied on telling us instead of trying to evoke emotion through imagery. That is, instead of showing us images that would make us cringe (for example, painting a picture of a shadowy, cold room to make us feel the depths of darkness and loneliness and emptiness), you just come right out and tell us how we should feel. Like I said in an earlier review, a poem becomes more powerful if you present reaction descriptions – that is, descriptions that paint an image in our minds that causes us to feel one emotion or another – than it would if you just said, "Oh, there's so much darkness and ANGST here."

Setting this observation aside for now, this time your details feel a little more off (at the risk of being vague) because it seems like you can't really settle on a particular image. You start off with, if you don't mind me saying, a slightly trite image (comparing love to a battlefield full of destruction -- emblematic of the ways love can ravage the heart) but pepper in analogies of light (representing hope). While it could be an effective clash of images to represent the mix of emotions going on within your mind, you don't really follow through on your imagery and present to us something a little more concrete that we can picture. (That is to say, we can't really picture the darkness and the light. We're only told that it exists.) As a result, there feels like there's a disconnect between the painful, I'm-being-ripped-apart images and descriptions like "like a supernova in a moonray shore form," which seems to convey the idea that the subject is both the cause of the person's destruction and the only symbol of their redemption. Like I said, it could work, but it feels like there's nothing in between them because you're pretty much busy focusing on one image or the other (through telling us that they're destructive images instead of letting us imagine them) instead of how they blend together.

Put it this way. In order for this poem to work, you'll probably want to make it feel like there shouldn't be any difference between the parts where she's the narrator's light half and the parts where she's the cause of all his agony. As in, the poem should smoothly transition from one to the other and back again before the reader realizes it's happening. In doing this, you'll need to show us images where the descriptions drift from one end of the spectrum to the other. The reason why I say "need" here is because if you don't, it ends up feeling choppy and disconnected. While a choppy feel might work with some other poem, in this one, the narrator is feeling torn and confused. That implies that he's not really weighing one side of his love against the other but instead struggling to tell the difference between the two. As in, he can't decide whether he should be terrified of his love or cling to her as if she's his savior.

Moreover, in describing these things, it's important not to tell instead of show to, as I've told you earlier, evoke emotion in your readers. Like I said, we need to connect to your writing on an emotional level, and the best way to do that is if we can imagine the things you're describing and the voice you're using. To get a better idea of both, check out a lot of beat poetry, especially stuff by Gregory Corso. I'd highly recommend this one, if only because you can really see how the narrator is using a particular voice that gets increasingly frantic as he continues to consider his options of marriage. Also notice how he never outright says, "Oh, marriage is full of DARKNESS AND DEPRESSION." This is a habit a lot of teen poets tend to pick up, and it's a habit you'll want to avoid getting into if at all possible because it's really difficult to take a poem seriously if it says that. Not to offend or imply that you're a stereotypical teen poet. It's just that I tend to see that a lot.

But in any case, yes. Gregory Corso relies on images and tone to convey his emotions, not only actually labeling what he's trying to portray. As a result, the reader actually comes to feel something towards what he's saying. To contrast, in this poem, we see a lot of mentions of darkness and depression, so the only feeling we really get is the one where it feels like you're telling us how we should react to what you're saying.

Also, I'll have to agree with MW on a level. While I'm very lenient on punctuation when it comes to poetry (because I'm just as much of a fan of e.e. cummings as the next person), a true poet does care about spelling and grammar. He just uses them to his advantage. Case in point: e.e. cummings. Never put or omitted a mark of punctuation he didn't mean to. If anything, poets actually have to be more conscious of things like mechanics because the slightest change in anything could change the meaning of an entire line. Example in this case? It's hard to take the line about feuding seriously because it seems like you're trying to spell the word phonetically. As a result, the narrator ends up sounding like they're a young child or so far gone that love should really be the least of their worries. (That is, if the latter was true, then it's very likely the narrator would make Gregory Corso sound sane.)

Moreover, there were some spots where it was just plain difficult to figure out what you meant, and before anyone accuses me of just not getting it because it's deep, it really has nothing to do with that. There's a difference between coming up with an unusual image (e.g., "werewolf bathtubs" and "forked clarinets") and coming up with an image that just doesn't really produce anything in our minds at all ("moonray shore form"). I mean, as unusual as the first two images I've just mentioned are, I can pretty much picture a furry bathtub or a clarinet with two bells. That's no problem. I just can't picture a shore form of a moonray, and with other spelling errors in this poem, I'm not even really sure if it's actually a typo that means "sure form."

In short, I'm sorry that I seem extraordinary blunt here, but honestly? I feel like your other poetry is better, especially your earliest stuff. This time around, it feels like you're really forcing the dark and depressing themes, and it's really hard to connect with what you're saying, in part because there's a lot of telling instead of showing, in part because it feels like there's a disconnect between images, and in part because your grammar/spelling got in the way of my understanding of the poem at key points. It's not outright horrible; I won't say that or even wish for you to think that. I know you've got potential because as I've just said, I've seen you do better. It's just that you've really got to focus on distilling your emotions into a more visceral form that we can clearly picture so we can get a snapshot of what goes on in your mind.

...Actually, there's a good tip right there. Whenever you write poetry, don't tell us how you feel. Describe to us what images are going through your head while you're feeling the way you do. This is, come to think of it, what most poets tend to do, and it's a really easy way of evoking the kinds of responses you want from a reader.

Tl;dr, eh. Images are conflicting in ways you didn't intend or just don't exist, so as a reader, I just don't really feel any emotional attachment to this poem. Also, typos can affect meaning. Final conclusion? Not terrible, but you can do better. But good luck with future poetry.

Back