• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Retro gaming

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    inspired by nostalgia thread

GENERAL DISCUSSION

What are your favourite retro games?
    What are some of the oldest games you've played?
    memories, fun experiences, etc.

When I say retro gaming, I mean pre-1990, but if there's a really awesome early 90s game then throw it in here as well. Just please no little kids showing off your 2001 games and saying they're retro :(

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I'm older than you. I consider the '90s to be retro gaming. The SuperNES was awesome.

I have a NES. I played it. I grew up on it, but I don't have much fondness for it outside of the nostalgia based on the graphics and iconic sprites.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    I used to, and still do, play the hell out of SmashTV, SNES, and I've managed to get my hands on one of the Arcade set, was pricey as anything but totally wort it. I love arcade classics, I used to have the Top Ms.Pacman score at the Gateway 26 Arcade in Wildwood...if any of you care, or know where that is, lol. I was also, for a short time, in love with Klax, lol. Also, major Gauntlet nerd...play it occasionally with my girlfriend and band mates. If it counts, we also still, to tis very day, have Turok Evolution tournys between us...That game is always going to rad as anything. "

Also, before this thread gets major. Inb4 BattleToads.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I think most people consider the NES retro gaming which held one of my favourite games of all time, Crystalis which came out in 1990, four years before I was born. Honestly if you want to talk about pre-1990 games then it's only Megaman and those old arcade games like Tetris and Donkey Kong for me.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I think most people consider the NES retro gaming which held one of my favourite games of all time, Crystalis which came out in 1990, four years before I was born. Honestly if you want to talk about pre-1990 games then it's only Megaman and those old arcade games like Tetris and Donkey Kong for me.
    And Atari. But... who remembers fondly on that? XD

The highlight for me pre-1990 would be the NES. But, still not my favourite retro console

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017

And Atari. But... who remembers fondly on that? XD

i just
    what
    regretting this thread now

There's Atari, Sega, Commodore, Amstrad, Magnavox and many many arcade games. SNES is 1990, most of the fourth generation consoles came out around then.

The reason I said pre-1990 is because it would just end up being exclusively late 90s games and probably even early 00s games, and people talk about all those all the time. Although from the looks of it I guess not many people played earlier games.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Probably the most retro thing I played was Mario on SNES, but I completely adored that thing. Me and my best friend at the time played it all the time and I can still remember sitting in front of her tv that just seemed huge to us and holding the controller and struggling with the carts and the console and ahah those memories are so vibrant, it seems like last week!

Uhh yeah and Earthbound on an emulator but can I coun't that? not suree

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    i just
    what
    regretting this thread now

There's Atari, Sega, Commodore, Amstrad, Magnavox and many many arcade games. SNES is 1990, most of the fourth generation consoles came out around then.

The reason I said pre-1990 is because it would just end up being exclusively late 90s games and probably even early 00s games, and people talk about all those all the time. Although from the looks of it I guess not many people played earlier games.
    I know, but... they weren't good lol There are some highlights. Pitfall, Prince of Persia, Maniac Mansion. But the bulk of it wasn't terrific. I can get a nostalgia bomb by looking at their art, but not from playing them. They're almost unplayable.

Sega was around in North America, but super small and irrelevant until the Genesis hit in 1990.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017

I know, but... they weren't good lol There are some highlights. Pitfall, Prince of Persia, Maniac Mansion. But the bulk of it wasn't terrific. I can get a nostalgia bomb by looking at their art, but not from playing them. They're almost unplayable.

Gauntlet? Xenophobe? 1942? Altered Beast? Rampage? Frogger? Joust, ton of Star Wars games, Missile Command, Park Patrol, Space Invaders, Rally-X, Paperboy, Dr. Destructo, Crystal Castles, the first Zelda game, Dragon Slayer games, Dragon Warrior games, Street Fighter, Feud, Discs of Tron, Tapper, Roland series of games, the entire "golden age of arcade games". There are many more that I just can't remember the name of, but they were very good. Anyone who thinks 80s games are all bad needs to play more of them.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    The first Dragon Warrior game was just one massive grind, it got so much better in the second one when you actually had a party and there was a world you could explore by ship.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Gauntlet? Xenophobe? 1942? Altered Beast? Rampage? Frogger? Joust, ton of Star Wars games, Missile Command, Park Patrol, Space Invaders, Rally-X, Paperboy, Dr. Destructo, Crystal Castles, the first Zelda game, Dragon Slayer games, Dragon Warrior games, Street Fighter, Feud, Discs of Tron, Tapper, Roland series of games, the entire "golden age of arcade games". There are many more that I just can't remember the name of, but they were very good. Anyone who thinks 80s games are all bad needs to play more of them.
    Gauntlet was friggen awesome. Anyone who says otherwise is WRONG, plain and simple.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    What are your favourite retro games? Final Fantasy 1
    What are some of the oldest games you've played? Super Mario Bros 1, 2(J) and 2
    My best memory was how excited I was when i finally beat Final Fantasy, it was a damn long game, never again have i spent such a long time playing. xD

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Okay, rather than continue being a party pooper (I still don't think the old games are all that *fun*, but whatever), I'll answer the question.

What are your favourite retro games? Super Mario Bros.
    What are some of the oldest games you've played? I've played Donkey Kong, Mario Bros. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Galaga on arcade units. And a good handful of NES games. Some first-year Game Boy games too.
    memories, fun experiences, etc. Playing Super Mario Bros. with my dad.

Years

Gauntlet was friggen awesome. Anyone who says otherwise is WRONG, plain and simple.

These two get a bro fist!

Gauntlet was awesome. Me and Vendak were talking about it last night!
    There are many retro games I have played and loved. Although it is considered 'my era', I don't really consider most games in the 90's that retro.

I guess it just depends on what we were given/got as a kid! XD​

Princess Sammi

Classic Pokéfan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2012
    I like retro games better than new games, tbh. :) The retro games I play (apart from FireRed and Sapphire) are Super Smash Bros Melee, HeXen II, Sonic R and classic Tomb Raider games.

Obviously I have a different definition of "retro gaming", but that's because I was only born in 1992.

Years
    Pokemon, bunch of SNES games, ape escape, Tomb raider, Sonic adventures, Metroid...

I feel like such a noob.

Oh wait! Does starflight count? What about doom? Head over heels? Doom <3 Starflight <3 Head over heels<3
    Also, a bunch of other DOS games that were already on my computer when I was 10. Can't remember the names of any of them >.>

Last edited:
    Back