• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Return of the Time Capsule?

Years
    Do you think they will have the Time Capsule in B/W like they did in G/S/C? Or, do you think they will have some sort of migration method involving the use of two DS's? Or do you have a completely different thought on this?

Personally, I hope that they will have some way to get pokemon from D/P/Pt/HG/SS, because I've spent a good amount of time collecting all the pokemon I have and training them all. It would be a shame if they made us restart again.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I'm more inclined to believe that they're going to go with the latter and have some sort of migration method.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    In my opinion, they could perhaps do something based on the DS' internal memory, whereby you put in your B/W game card, choose a menu option to migrate from Gen IV, remove the cartridge and put the Gen IV cart in, select the ones you want to import, save and switch off. Put B/W back in, and go to the time capsule/PalPark-esque place within the game and get importing.

Not sure how viable or possible this would be, though.

Years
    I think that it's likely we'll get something like that. I hear a lot of people talking about Gen IV/ Gen V compatibility, but... they're different generations. By their very definition, they're NOT compatible. I think that the pokemon will need to be migrated somehow.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I think there'll be a Time Capsule sort of thing.

Pal Park was because there's no way to connect a GBA game and a DS game (and you could have both in the one DS). Because BW and DPPt are both DS games and they have to be on two handhelds, I think it'll be a Time Capsule thing.

...although, the GTS might become interesting...

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I think there'll be a Time Capsule sort of thing.

Pal Park was because there's no way to connect a GBA game and a DS game (and you could have both in the one DS). Because BW and DPPt are both DS games and they have to be on two handhelds, I think it'll be a Time Capsule thing.

...although, the GTS might become interesting...
    If they're already imported/importable then a "time capsule" wouldn't necessarily be needed.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    If they're already imported/importable then a "time capsule" wouldn't necessarily be needed.

uhhh...the Time Capsule was so you didn't trade a GSC Pokemon into RBY and get a Missingno. Likewise, a Time Capsule sort of thing will be necessary to prevent you trading, for example, a Zorua into Diamond and getting a glitch.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    uhhh...the Time Capsule was so you didn't trade a GSC Pokemon into RBY and get a Missingno. Likewise, a Time Capsule sort of thing will be necessary to prevent you trading, for example, a Zorua into Diamond and getting a glitch.
    If that's the case that could/would be possible, but they may add new functions to be able to prevent such a thing happen without the now primitive "Time Capsule". New ideas are always introduced, though something of the sort is defiantly plausible.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    if they put the time capsule in, i hope it doesnt take u ages to get it, like in frlg. its been proven that we can use get 4th gen pokemon into bw somehow with the shiny dog trio, so something must be implemented.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I'd say they're probably going to go for some sort of Neo-Time Capsule. I mean as both Gen IV and V are both DS games, then I don't see why they can't do something in the same vein as Gen I/II connectivity.

I hear a lot of people talking about Gen IV/ Gen V compatibility, but... they're different generations. By their very definition, they're NOT compatible.

You've clearly never played Gens I or II...

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    The forwards-backwards compatibility is due to if the Pokemon would lose information when going back to an old generation. Gen I had nowhere to store whether a Pokemon was male or female, so if you traded a Pokemon back and forth between the two, each time its gender would have to be redetermined.

To get around that Gen II had gender based on stats (as a result female Pokemon always have lower attack than their male counterparts in Gen II). This went for gender, shinyness, etc. Since Gen III had no backwards compatibility, it could completely remake the system. Thus female Pokemon can be just as powerful as male ones now. And shinyness no longer is dependent on Pokemon's stats.

Gen IV made it so that it was only forwards compatible. That way Pokemon won't lose details when they go back, because they can't go back. There's no hardware reason Gen IV couldn't have allowed backwards trading (possibly there was with Gen II -> Gen III, but I don't know). With Gen V it could go either way

tl;dr: Backwards compatibility is dependent on more than just hardware capabilities.

Anyway, I think migration or anoher one-way trading system will be used.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    They could possibly set it up so that you can use the HGSS PokeWalker to transfer Pokemon over, by allowing Pokemon to go from the Walker to the new cart (but not vice versa).

Years
    I'd say they're probably going to go for some sort of Neo-Time Capsule. I mean as both Gen IV and V are both DS games, then I don't see why they can't do something in the same vein as Gen I/II connectivity.

You've clearly never played Gens I or II...

No, I never played Gen II. From what I understand, you could trade between the two games, but in order to trade from G/S/C to R/B/Y, you had to delete any new moves and only trade pokemon that were available in the original. I'm guessing that the same thing happened with battling, if battling were possible. You could only battle with RBY pokemon, and you couldn't use any new moves.

People here seem to think that there will be a patch or something that will update Gen IV and make it so that B/W can interact with D/P/Pt in the same way that HG/SS can. I just don't see that happening.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I'd rather this to the damned Pal Park >___> You can trade your Pokemon back from Isshu but they can't have anything from that Region, even Ribbons?. I like it anyway. Another question I have is; How will the GTS trading work with this game and DPPtHGSS?

Years
    Personally, I hope that they will have some way to get pokemon from D/P/Pt/HG/SS, because I've spent a good amount of time collecting all the pokemon I have and training them all. It would be a shame if they made us restart again.
    It's been confirmed that there will be some method. The legendary beast trio that JP players get downloaded to their copies of HGSS during the 13th movie will unlock something in BW. Later, we see thebeast trio members in a battle with Zoroark.That shows that there's going to be some method. I think the Time Capsule will return.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I really do hope that the time capsule will return. I don't see why it can't be possible, as both Gen IV and Gen V will be on the DS. Time capsule couldn't be possible because of the major changes of Gen III and Gen IV (along with Gen II and Gen III), and because of the fact that they were for different systems (Gen I and II were possible because both were for the Gameboy).

If they do Pal Park, I will not be a happy person. :(

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    I just don't think that platinum and BW are of such different times so I think the term time capsule is misleading.

Im thinking of some sort of Airport... it would fit the cosmopolitan state of the game's cities. A sort of "send pokemon to help poor trainers in isshu" campaign lol
    well maybe not, but a one way airlplane ticket seems interesting.

Xanatos13

Pokemon Whisperer
    Years
    Or you know, they could have it work out the same way trading between DPPt and HGSS does.

The thing is there's no new Pokemon being introduced in HG/SS. HG/SS & D/P/Pt don't (to the best of my knowledge, and I'm sure I'm right) have the data for the new B/W Pokemon that will be introduced.

This being said: Time Capsule-like trading is for sure. How they'll do it or what they'll call it, I dunno. But it'll be similar I'm sure.

Years
    No, I never played Gen II. From what I understand, you could trade between the two games, but in order to trade from G/S/C to R/B/Y, you had to delete any new moves and only trade pokemon that were available in the original. I'm guessing that the same thing happened with battling, if battling were possible. You could only battle with RBY pokemon, and you couldn't use any new moves.

People here seem to think that there will be a patch or something that will update Gen IV and make it so that B/W can interact with D/P/Pt in the same way that HG/SS can. I just don't see that happening.
    You could not conduct a battle between a Gen. I and Gen. II game unless it was done on Pokémon Stadium 2. The most likely lay for transfer is a new time-capsule system. Interstingly it will allow for the Gen. III game to connect to the fifth with the fourth generation acting as an intermediary.

Back