• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Return of the Time Capsule?

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    Funny how Ruby and Sapphire came before Firered and Leafgreen yet they can connect, yes?
    I'm pretty sure we can trade alright.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Funny how Ruby and Sapphire came before Firered and Leafgreen yet they can connect, yes?
    I'm pretty sure we can trade alright.
    That's because the Pokemon found in Kanto were programmed into Ruby/Sapphire; this is not the case with the 4th Gen Games. More than likely it will be a one-way deal. Sinnoh to Isshu, not the other way around. Unless the Pokemon being traded have no exclusive moves and are from the previous Gens.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Any reason in particular? I can't agree with you with just: "I don't expect them to connect to the new games."

Really I, or many others including the person who you were responding to, can't truly explain what will happen. I doubt you will be able to just trade like nothing between B&W and Gen 4 Pkmn games since come on..it's a new generation and that'd be too easy. Also take into consideration that all Gen 5 pokemon games may not be on the DS. You can say ''well it would be retarted to start a gen on the DS and continue it on the 3DS'' but it could very well happen in my opinion. None of us know anything about the 3DS really yet, nor about black and white so we wind up at yet another dead end. D:

Pal Park could be kept. For people owning only a DSi some sort of new device could be used to migrate pkmn over to b&w into Pal Park, and for those with DS Lites/DS they could just migrate over from GBA slot.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I don't expect them to connect to the new games.

Uhh... It's already been confirmed that you can. The Legendary Beasts obtained from the 13th movie must be transfered over to unlock a Zoruark event.
    Anyway as I've said in the many other duplicates of this thread, I'm expecting a Time Capsule like device. RBY & GSC were both playable on the system just like DPPt & BW and used the Time Capsule to prevent creating glitches, so I don't know why they can't do it again. I don't think a Pal Park is a viable option because both games being on the system means 2 would be needed anyway and it was never very efficient in the first place.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    my idea (for the third time)

B/W could come with a DSi channel download. (like mario kart wii did)
    you put HG/SS/D/P/P into your DSi and go to the channel.
    you can then migrate your pokemon from your chosen pokemon game.
    plug B/W back in and you go to a pal park.
    you have a selection of three choices.

1) migrate from DSi channel
    2) migrate from DS game cartridge (requires special attachment for GBA slot on DS and DS light)
    3) migrate by wireless communication

the third one would be used if you had two DS's.
    put B/W in your DS and your other game into another DS
    a selection on the other game comes up on the main menu and says migrate to Black or White.
    and you can migrate like that.

but it's totaly obvious that nintendo is trying to ween us off of the DS and DS lights. so i want the channel one to really happen :)

Shiny Shaymin

I laugh at your misfortune.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 22, 2015
    I don't think you need to over complicate things… I think it'll use the Time Capsule. You trade from Gen 4 to Gen 5 but not from Gen 5 to Gen 4. What else would they do?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I don't think you need to over complicate things… I think it'll use the Time Capsule. You trade from Gen 4 to Gen 5 but not from Gen 5 to Gen 4. What else would they do?

...that's Pal Park. Time Capsule let you trade from the higher gen down, but only with older Pokemon and older moves.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    lets face it. the pal park IS the new time capsule.
    we all know it so don't deny it.

pal park FTW! :)

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
    Time Capsule? That's sure is weird. But maybe there will be a New Device! Lets see....
    Maybe a Car? e can't have it but maybe we can ride on it! Maybe...
    And Mew~ Your signature make me feel good. :)

Okay, I can just see there being a 1981 DMC Delorean that "Black" and "White" get to ride in to be able to trade with the 4th generation games.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    back to the future!
    love that movie.
    but seriously...
    a car? what?
    i have yet to see a car ever in pokemon games.
    if any cars, trucks, or motorcycles start to appear in pokemon. i will quit.
    and if any time traveling is to be done, just use a celebi. :)

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Summary time!

The Time Capsule, found in GSC, was implemented to allow trade to and from RBY, but to keep new Pokemon and attacks from being traded to an incompatible game. It also emphasized a time difference between RBY and their sequels.

Pal Park, found in DPPt and HgSs, while allowing RSE and FrLg to communicate with the DS versions of Pokemon, was only a one-way deal. Once you transferred a Pokemon to Pal Park, it could not come back to it's original game. It seemed to imply that RSE, DPPt, and HgSs were all happening roughly at the same time.

At any rate, it's likely that the transfer is one-way, although adding something like the Time Capsule to BW could allow for "impossible" movesets, rather like the Shiny Gyarados-Mimic trick to get shiny Ditto. I'd have to wait until I've played them to decide what I'd prefer.

Shiny Shaymin

I laugh at your misfortune.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 22, 2015
    back to the future!
    love that movie.
    but seriously...
    a car? what?

This is going a bit off topic, but it would be cool to have a new HM called "Time Travel" that only Celebi could use. That would be awesome… but it would NEVER happen, unfortunately. ¬_¬

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    back to the future!
    love that movie.
    but seriously...
    a car? what?

Well, then I guess you quit way back when RGBY came out. And then again when the anime came out. And then again when RSE came out. And then again when FRLG came out. And again when BW got some gameplay videos.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2014
    In my opinion, they could perhaps do something based on the DS' internal memory, whereby you put in your B/W game card, choose a menu option to migrate from Gen IV, remove the cartridge and put the Gen IV cart in, select the ones you want to import, save and switch off. Put B/W back in, and go to the time capsule/PalPark-esque place within the game and get importing.

Not sure how viable or possible this would be, though.

this ^
    like AR, but with Pokemon :P

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    Don't you want this to be a new start? Screw the rest of the other pokemon, theres to many. They'll be over 500 if they allow a time capsule/trade over for more pokemon. Pokemon black/white should be like We started when we were younger. Pokemon white and black should be like pokemon R/B/Y.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    They need some form of bringing the previous 493 Pokemon over that isn't a direct trade. More like a "take your Black/White card out and now insert your older one and select which ones" method. I've got almost 400 on Pearl and I was going to move them over to SoulSilver since I play that a lot more but it's too much hassle. It took about 20 minutes to trade 6 Pokemon back and forth.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
    Well, then I guess you quit way back when RGBY came out. And then again when the anime came out. And then again when RSE came out. And then again when FRLG came out. And again when BW got some gameplay videos.

i ment as a main way of transportation, derp :P

NatureKeeper

Bulbapedia said:
    Black and White will be compatible with all five Generation IV games. While the full details are not yet known, transferring the shiny legendary beasts released with the 13th movie in Japan has been confirmed to unlock an event in the games.

There is connectivity. However, we are not sure. I myself expect full compatibility with methods similar to my previous speculation.

[PURE SPECULATION]
    Guys, I was wondering, what if the Gen V games inject something into the Gen IV codes to support the Gen V Pokémon (I know it is impossible to edit a game's code in its cartridge using influence, but maybe Nintendo will develop a new way)? What if they are hidden in the game's code and can be unlocked by linking to Gen V games? We cannot know, for sure.
    [/PURE SPECULATION]

There will be connectivity, there will be compatibility. How? Amongst us the Humans, only Nintendo and the developers know.

Back