• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Return Player (15 years out)

Years
    Hi all!

I haven't played Pokemon since my red version back in 98 which I stopped playing about 2000/2001. While I haven't played since, Pokemon has always stuck with me in a memorable way and I'm looking to get back into it now. I'm getting a New 3DS XL and I'm wondering which game should I re-enter the franchise with?? I know I've missed a lot but I'd be keen to start even back at Platinum on DS or maybe SS or HG, but also find the Gen6 quite interesting (you can tell I wanna start them all at once!). Keeping my previous limited experience in mind, WHERE SHOULD I START AND WHY??

Thanks in advance :)

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    The further back you're willing to start, the better I think. Each generation added new mechanics to the game and generally grew more complex.

Because of this, if you jump right to Gen 6 you might find that later games are lacking... Pokemon learn fewer attacks, leveling a team takes more time, even battles themselves are slower.

So, start back as far as you're willing to. You can play through the generations and if it keeps your interest hopefully you'll enjoy seeing the games improve as you go. Plus, starting earlier just means you'll get to experience more of the games. :)

Years
    Yes I think you might be right. I've been worried that a Gen1>Gen6 jump with nothing in between might be too much to handle straight up. I reckon I might start browsing the older gens to see how far back I should start, maybe even Pearl or Diamond then. I guess that way I can also build a bigger pokedex as I go. Thanks for the advice >.<

Years
    If your first and last game was Gen 1 then I totally suggest just going in order and jumping on Gen 2. Find yourself a copy of Gold, Silver or Crystal with a new internal battery installed so you don't have to worry about your save dying for like ten years and enjoy the game. After that just go in order. But since you say you're getting yourself a New 3DS maybe you should start playing either Gen 4 or Gen 6. If you start with 4 then you can see more of the series and have more appreciation for how it has advanced. If you start with Gen 6 then you'll most likely still have a blast and you'll also be able to take advantage of all the online and social features of the games which might make it more engaging for you too. Either way you choose you are likely to have fun with it.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Or do what the rest of us do and emulate the old games

Honestly if you can come up with a means to play it, i'd start with either Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold, or Soulsilver. Sure you will have skipped a gen or 2, but the mechanics changed going into Gen 4 more than they ever had or have since, and it's better to get used to the new stuff

And HGSS are the best games in the series feature-wise. just be warned that the 4th gen games have a relatively steep price tag (I've seen used SoulSilver games for as much as $50)

Years
    Or do what the rest of us do and emulate the old games

Honestly if you can come up with a means to play it, i'd start with either Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold, or Soulsilver. Sure you will have skipped a gen or 2, but the mechanics changed going into Gen 4 more than they ever had or have since, and it's better to get used to the new stuff

And HGSS are the best games in the series feature-wise. just be warned that the 4th gen games have a relatively steep price tag (I've seen used SoulSilver games for as much as $50)
    Yeah the prices are high. A couple months ago I bought Heart Gold from Amazon complete and with pokewalker for $75. And almost a year ago I bought a used Diamond from Gamestop for $40.

Years
    Thanks lads, yeah I don't think I'm up for the hassle of sorting out a Gen2/3 start (as much as I would still like to play them). Gen4 seems like the best start point for me and I'm leaning towards Platinum only because the reviews for Pearl & Diamond seem pretty negative. I'm sure I can find an old Platinum copy online and even $50 or so seems fair enough to get something that's a bit rare now. It seems to make more sense starting with Gen4 and I'll get to see a lot more than jumping to 6 too.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Thanks lads, yeah I don't think I'm up for the hassle of sorting out a Gen2/3 start (as much as I would still like to play them). Gen4 seems like the best start point for me and I'm leaning towards Platinum only because the reviews for Pearl & Diamond seem pretty negative. I'm sure I can find an old Platinum copy online and even $50 or so seems fair enough to get something that's a bit rare now. It seems to make more sense starting with Gen4 and I'll get to see a lot more than jumping to 6 too.

Honestly I restarted my pokemon playing at SS and at the time loved it, its a huge game with some much to do after the main story and the pokemon following you is a lovely touch. Its nice that it also features familiar Gen 1 locations for a bit of reminiscing. Pokemon Black/White is also highly recommended (make sure you do the first game not straight to Black2/White 2) as its all new pokemon and brilliant story are really great to play for a fresh new game.

Years
    Thanks for the tips. I'll probably start on Platinum because I hear it's quite good and just an additional whole game I can fit in before SS/HG. But I am VERY much looking forward to either SS or HG as it seems to be the series which all fans tend to agree is perhaps the best ever to date. The rarity of SS/HG also suggests people generally don't want to sell them and the prices I've seen so far for Australian region copies are as high as $150-$200 AUD which is crazy!! I will eventually get to White/Black and was planning on going straight to W2/B2 because I heard it was better. I might take a closer look now you've mentioned it though. Cheers!

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    W2/B2 improves gameplay wise but the story starts in B/W and is really great.

Years
    First of all, welcome back. Even I got into the games and started quite late. I started with Red, then played Gold, Crystal, FireRed, Ruby, Emerald, SoulSilver, Platinum, Black2. I would advise you to not skip any gens, because you will miss out on all that experience. The original games are different from their remakes, FRLG are essentially Gen 3 games and HGSS are Gen 4 games. Playing their original counterparts is a very different experience.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When it comes to spin-offs, I agree that Mystery Dungeon series is a must-try; they're definitely fun to go through.

Years
    First of all, welcome back. Even I got into the games and started quite late. I started with Red, then played Gold, Crystal, FireRed, Ruby, Emerald, SoulSilver, Platinum, Black2. I would advise you to not skip any gens, because you will miss out on all that experience. The original games are different from their remakes, FRLG are essentially Gen 3 games and HGSS are Gen 4 games. Playing their original counterparts is a very different experience.

I understand your point about not missing out on any experience and yeah I really don't want to. I just can't see myself going to the trouble of sorting out a start in Crystal or Emerald etc or anything Gen2/3 (YET!). I would eventually go that far back, but looking to go back (as a start) to something a bit more contemporary while still being a few gens older. Platinum is what I'm thinking and I'm ordering a copy online now 🙊

Years
    Thanks for the tips on Mystery Dungeon too! I'd seen them but wasn't sure if they're any good or not. Reviews are mixed and I'm always a bit wary of spin-offs. I'll take a good look, cheers!

Back