• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Returning to the scene after a few years

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
Years
  • Hey everybody, oldfag here. Other oldfags might remember me as "Kike-Scott".

I used to post very often at this forum, and made a few hacks back then. You might have heard about Crystal Shard and Opal/Coral versions.

Anyway, I just took interest in Pokémon again after finding a few fans in my country so I looked at my old hacking folder and said "Why not?".

What advice can you give to someone who has been out of the scene for around 3 years? How do I catch up with you guys?

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
  • Hey! I remember you! Advice? Well, I mostly hack GB/C now so you're better off not asking me. You'd be pleased to know Brown has been finished completely now if you were into Koolboyman's games.

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
    Years
  • Yeah, I remember Coolboyman. I've heard a few "urban legends" about him getting a job at a british gaming studio or something among those lines. Might try Brown soon :)

As for everyone else, I would like to read some tips or major news in the hacking scene. You know, new "tech" available, 4th Gen hacking status and such. I'll appreciate anything you could tell me.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Just start again. Learn from the tutorials or whatever you started with before and start again.

Um, new tech... in terms of Advance Gen hacking, there's XSE, only the best script editor of all time. Then there's nothing much else because, honestly, in three years we actually haven't gone that far.

4th gen hacking now has a reliable scripting system I think, and a work-in-progress map tool yet to be released. Said tool also works for 5th gen as well, as it's also on the DS.

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
    Years
  • Just start again. Learn from the tutorials or whatever you started with before and start again.

Um, new tech... in terms of Advance Gen hacking, there's XSE, only the best script editor of all time. Then there's nothing much else because, honestly, in three years we actually haven't gone that far.

4th gen hacking now has a reliable scripting system I think, and a work-in-progress map tool yet to be released. Said tool also works for 5th gen as well, as it's also on the DS.

Yeah, I thought so. Though I saw tons of "new" features, like a Fire Red engine with all sorts of new functions, more heavy visual edits, tons of portraits, ampliations on pallete quantity and size for overworld sprites, etc.

And I actually helped a little bit on XSE's beta testing back in my days. HackMew is awesome :D

Thanks for the advice. If anyone could point me through the more 'advanced' stuff I previously menctioned, it would be appreciated :)

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Kike Scott?

Dude I hear u were a legend yourself....

if im not mistaken u were one of the few that were in the hacking scene when if first started

Good to hear ur back
    I also heard that u experimented with Rom expansion in the early days is that true?

nice to have u back

check out JPAN hacked rom engine, can do wonders with that thing :)

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
    Years
  • Kike Scott?

Dude I hear u were a legend yourself....

if im not mistaken u were one of the few that were in the hacking scene when if first started

Good to hear ur back
    I also heard that u experimented with Rom expansion in the early days is that true?

nice to have u back

check out JPAN hacked rom engine, can do wonders with that thing :)

Haha, I wasn't at the start of Hacking actually, but in the time of great hacks like Naranja and Quartz (a little bit after Quartz actually). Anyway I did some experimentation with ROM Expansion, yes, but didn't got anything productive, mostly because of IPS patches. Can't remember of I actually got a solution for that. I guess I did but it wasn't practical enough haha.

I will check that room very soon. Thanks for your recommendation :)

pizzakoe

Experienced Spriter
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    OMG I remember you,
    I just realized how long I´ve been lurking here on the scene..
    Pretty long I think ;)!

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • I remember you! There have been many minor advances in graphics editing, and there has been a whole lot of asm things like day and night, follow me scripts, and other things. Basically we've just fine tuned it for you while you were gone.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • SCOTT!! good job!! I download your games this 3 years ago! (but i didnt had a acounte)
    you should do something!! a new story of gary's or something :D

jj_olli

It's coming...
    Years
  • Scott is back! How are you? You have to look at diegoisaweomes Crystaldust. It's very similiar to your CrystalShards, but he implemented very advanced ASM. Like Day of the Week or Rival naming and Expanded Map... and he is also using Emerald as a Base ;) Hope you continue Crystal Shards too (and maybe finish it some day xD)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • 4th gen hacking now has a reliable scripting system I think, and a work-in-progress map tool yet to be released. Said tool also works for 5th gen as well, as it's also on the DS.
    What? Actually, I'm on same boat as Scott, and have been away from Hacking as well as PC for a few years, didn't know 4th gen hacking had advanced that far :\

Anyway Scott, I guess I joined 2 years too late to know about you...wish I was a little faster to jump into the hacking scene...

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I've got an idea maybe someone can pick up on and expand multiplayer as we know it. I'm experimenting with changing the mixing records room to add features for multiplayer. It's not out yest because I don't have help but I think that can be considered hacking news.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
  • Dropping in to say I really enjoyed what you did earlier and I'm looking forward to anything else you put out. ;) (Even if you haven't been online in over a month..)

Back