• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RGSS Tutor

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    I think that this thread is allowed, but if not, feel free to delete/warn if necessary.

I have had a go at RGSS scripting, and have made a few 5-liner script pages, with the absolute basics of Ruby I learnt. But it's not enough. I need a tutor so I can do it properly.

So, if there is anybody willing to tutor a game maker in RGSS scripting, please can they say so here? It's just... I've tried to learn it many a time, but could never grasp it, because it wasn't somebody teaching me.

Sorry if it sounds like a silly request, but, that's what I need.

Bye.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2008
    check the rgss academy at rmxp.org ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    I don't want to read tutorials; I should have said that in my first post. I just need somebody who can tell me how to do things etc.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2008
    as i said... at the academy you will get a tutor who will give you exercises and so on.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • I don't want to read tutorials; I should have said that in my first post. I just need somebody who can tell me how to do things etc.

I know what your problem is, and I agree with it wholeheartedly. Your problem isn't that you need a tutor, it's that you need a useable tutorial. There are some people (usually who started off with programming languages like C++) that can understand and build off of the tutorials found off of the net, but for most of us, it's hit and miss. In other words, unless you already know how programming languages work, you're much less likely to be able to learn one from a tutorial you could find at a place like RMXP.org. Your only problem is that if you did find someone willing to teach you, they would have trouble explaining how it works. That would be because they have to explaing how programming languages are used, and what they can do. Most people have trouble at a VERY specific point when using programming languages. That point is when what they need is not defined by the language, and they have to figure out how to define it. In other words, you've got to program it to accept new terms as though they were default commands. Th9is is especially true with the severe limitations of RGSS, which is an edited and truncated form of the Ruby programming language. Sorry about the huge post, and no, I haven't been able to get past that point either. (Besides, I'd much rather learn web languages like Javascript [not Java, that's a programming language too])

as i said... at the academy you will get a tutor who will give you exercises and so on.

What Lorem is saying is that they want someone to work one-on-one with.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Glitchfinder, I am not new to web programming. I know HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, C, C#, C++ and Perl. I know what I am doing, just can't seem to grasp the syntax of RGSS.

Esai Two

Vista Status: Hates Me
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2008
    Glitchfinder, I am not new to web programming. I know HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, C, C#, C++ and Perl. I know what I am doing, just can't seem to grasp the syntax of RGSS.

I actually know the feeling. RGSS is very VB-esque and PHP, C, C#, C++ and Perl all use the curly bracketty stuff. Best thing about RGSS is it allows ( ) around the stuff in an 'if' statement, as I just cannot kick that habit, and I have had syntax errors as I have wrote def name { }

What parts of the Ruby Syntax don't you get? (I fully get it, but I have a habit of writing it in PHP or C++ syntax depending :P)

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • Glitchfinder, I am not new to web programming. I know HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, C, C#, C++ and Perl. I know what I am doing, just can't seem to grasp the syntax of RGSS.

As I said, that would probably be due to the fact that RGSS is a severely edited and truncated form of Ruby. So, not only is it originally a programming language you don't know (which, as far as I can tell, has different syntax from the ones you know), it is also edited to fit RPGs, which involves quite a few changes. The result is a programming language which follows some of the normal rules, but breaks quite a few others. Just a thought. (On the other hand, where would you suggest I go to learn web scripting? I've already mastered HTML and CSS [in about 3 days each], but I know that those aren't even close to being in-depth)

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    I'm afraid not... you'd have to find a web tutorial for Perl and other things. They do have a nice SQL tutorial, however.

Back