• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Ribbon-less

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    After beating the Pokemon League for the first time, I eagerly looked at the stat screen in hopes of finding a new ribbon, but to my surprise, they have done away with that mechanic. Without ribbons or some type of reward, Pokemon Musicals are pointless. Ribbons from past regions will not be transferred to 5th Gen. Its not that big of a deal, but what are your opinions on the trashing of ribbons?

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
    Years
    Ribbons from pas regions are actually transferred but are named oddly.

Like my Sinnoh champ ribbon on my Infernape is labeled LeagueRibbon01 and my Alert Ribbon is Memorial Ribbon01.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Indeed, past ribbons get transfered over. It's exactly why I wanted to transfer over my previous generation Pokemon to Platinum to get all the ribbons I could, but I was too lazy lol. I was disappointed as well when I didn't get a ribbon for defeating the League champ. In HG/SS, it was fine as you got one from defeating Red... but this Gen 5 doesn't seem to give away any ribbons, except probably for special event Pokemon. :(

Years
    I didn't know this, am slightly disappointed, the ribbons were a nice touch, I used to enjoy getting as many ribbons as possible on my favourite pokemon.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Without ribbons or some type of reward, Pokemon Musicals are pointless.
    This is a qualm of mine too - Musicals weren't that fun to begin with and it turns out there's little point to them as well. The renaming is also odd - makes one wonder what'd happen with ribbons if they do make an RSE remake, given the Contests are all about getting ribbons.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    After beating the Pokemon League for the first time, I eagerly looked at the stat screen in hopes of finding a new ribbon, but to my surprise, they have done away with that mechanic. Without ribbons or some type of reward, Pokemon Musicals are pointless. Ribbons from past regions will not be transferred to 5th Gen. Its not that big of a deal, but what are your opinions on the trashing of ribbons?

I am very disappointed about the removal of Ribbons. They're not crucial to the games, but they're one of those "little things" that make you love Pokemon games even more, not to mention that the Ribbons assist you in remembering the feats that your Pokemon have achieved. The Effort Ribbon was beneficial to EV training as well. It was an unnecessary removal, and I dislike how BW removed those things that RSE brought to the Pokemon franchise just two Generations ago.

This is a qualm of mine too - Musicals weren't that fun to begin with and it turns out there's little point to them as well. The renaming is also odd - makes one wonder what'd happen with ribbons if they do make an RSE remake, given the Contests are all about getting ribbons.

I know, right? Not to mention the Effort Ribbon, Portrait Ribbon, Victory Ribbons, and Champ Ribbons, which Ruby and Sapphire originated. The removal of the Contest Conditions in BW also poses a problem for RS remakes. If RS3DS is just going to reinstitute the Ribbons and Contest Conditions, what was the point for their removal in the first place if they could have been remained intact in the data from Generation 4?

I really hope Ribbons return in Pokemon Gray Version and the RS remakes, because it would be nice to look back on a Pokemon's progress. The Pokemon are pretty much doing all the hard work for their Trainers - shouldn't they be recognized for it? :\

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    So they are transferable? That's good to know.

I was ticked off the same way when I found out that Pokeathlon medals weren't attached to the Pokemon. They downgraded big time with Musicals, especially since they got the visual part right.

Edit: WAIT, I just remembered that a woman in Opelucid City told me that my Pokemon needs to "work harder"; what does she give out if its not the Effort Ribbon?

Last edited:

Pikachu-dance!

Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott :)
    Years
    I have always loved the alternatives to battling such as the contests, super contests, pokeathlon and that pattern continues to this generation, I love the musicals and it does have a reward, if you get all the musical accessories you get the next color for your trainer card :) but anyway I am upset about the lack of riboons seen as I always used to and get at least fifteen on each Pokemon :(

Years
    I want to be the odd one here and say that I've never really paid attention to the ribbon system. They're a nice thing to have as far as aesthetics, but nothing majorly important. I've really stopped participating in contests altogether ever since Gen III, so pretty much ever since then, ribbons have lost whatever value they held to me.

So you feel about ribbons the way I feel about the colour change of the Trainer cards. :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    Ribbons where a great part of previous games kinda sad there not featured in the new one.

Years
    I liked ribbons but I don't mind that they are gone. It doesn't really matter, other cool things make up for them not being there.

Back